Wrote 2 essays: Worried one is one is too risky and the other too cliche

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bronx4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just found this site and this is my first time posting, so I apologize if I don't do everything correctly. I'm responding to the prompt, "Reflect on a meaningful experience in your life and share how that experience influenced your personal growth, such as your attitudes or perceptions.Reflect on a meaningful experience in your life and share how that experience influenced your personal growth, such as your attitudes or perceptions." I wrote two very rough essays about it. I feel like one is really risky/ might be off topic, and the other I feel is way too cliched. I was hoping someone could read them and let me know which one I should go with and refine/ edit. Again, these are super rough drafts and I don't expect the wording/ grammar to be perfect. I'm just looking to see if my topics/ ideas would work and stand out. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

PT schools look for people who stand out so if you feel it will make you stand out do it.
I do think it will make me stand out, but I'm worried it could appear superficial. I wrote about raising my puppy and the struggles/successes that come with it. I related it back to PT by tying in how she didn't progress as fast as I hoped and I had to adjust methods because what worked for other dog did not work for her; not all textbook cookie cutter methods worked, but many did. I had to find what worked best according to how my pup reacted, not what all the blogs/ research showed me; how important it is to celebrate the small goals because it's still progress and that should be celebrated; progress can stagnate, but we can't give up and must keep working because we can eventually persevere; etc. I'm just worried talking about my dog will sound extremely superficial and vapid

My other essay was the experience that made me decide to pursue a DPT, but I feel like that is what every single person is going to write about

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think it will make me stand out, but I'm worried it could appear superficial. I wrote about raising my puppy and the struggles/successes that come with it. I related it back to PT by tying in how she didn't progress as fast as I hoped and I had to adjust methods because what worked for other dog did not work for her; not all textbook cookie cutter methods worked, but many did. I had to find what worked best according to how my pup reacted, not what all the blogs/ research showed me; how important it is to celebrate the small goals because it's still progress and that should be celebrated; progress can stagnate, but we can't give up and must keep working because we can eventually persevere; etc. I'm just worried talking about my dog will sound extremely superficial and vapid

My other essay was the experience that made me decide to pursue a DPT, but I feel like that is what every single person is going to write about

I wouldn't write about your puppy I could see if it was a actual human then that would be perfect. To me it makes you sound immature, childish with little life experience. Try to look for a different story to write about.

Reactions: 1 user

Write about the puppy! If you do it well, you won't sound superficial. I can tell you right now, I'd love to read an essay about a puppy. We're only two weeks into this cycle, and I do NOT want to read another essay about why someone decided to become a PT. Either you had PT for a prior injury or someone you love had PT -- we've all read this essay before. The professors/admissions officers will no doubt feel the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Write about the puppy! If you do it well, you won't sound superficial. I can tell you right now, I'd love to read an essay about a puppy. We're only two weeks into this cycle, and I do NOT want to read another essay about why someone decided to become a PT. Either you had PT for a prior injury or someone you love had PT -- we've all read this essay before. The professors/admissions officers will no doubt feel the same.

Hi there! In general, would you say most admissions committees prefer the essay to somehow be linked back to PT, or are these essays truly about standing out regardless of the topic?

Hi there! In general, would you say most admissions committees prefer the essay to somehow be linked back to PT, or are these essays truly about standing out regardless of the topic?
I can't speak for admissions committees, but I always recommend tying it back to PT eventually. It sounds from the description of your essay like that should be easy for you to do.