Worms diagnosed by Homeopathic doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toomuch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend came back from Costa Rica and was diagnosed with Giardia by a homeopathic doctor, treated by one. Her symptoms came back after finishing treatment and then was diagnosed with Schistosby the homeopath and the treatment hasn't worked. She then went to an md, no schistos was found and she was not given anything. She asks me if I would treat the schistos that was diagnosed b y the homeopath doc. She had diarrhea, and now diarrhea and constipation with blood, irritability. I said that I'm not a fan of homeopaths and I was not really cofident that it was schistos, I told her to get another sample and ask to look for o and ps, but does anyone know how homeopaths diagnose things? it didn't sound like the homeopath had a a lab analyze a sample. I know Schistos is not even common in Costa Rica. She asks me if she could just take doxy that she has and at some level I want to say go ahead since there's always the possibility of a lingering bacteria, but know it's not the treatment for worms and random abx is not a good solution. I think I'm annoyed by the homeopath and don't know how to be sensitive.

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing in medicine is not to worry about what the "correct" diagnosis is. You need to treat the patient, not some lab report. Medicine is about collaborating with your patients, not instructing them. You must allow the patient to collaborate with not only MDs, but also alternative and ethnic healers. Your presumption that the homeopath was somehow "wrong" is culturally insensitive, and propagates an outmoded model of healthcare in which physicians provide the only answer to complex biopsychosocial problems.

But I may be wrong, I've only taken anatomy and ethics + professionalism so far. We don't do parasitology til second year.

If it were me, I'd start the workup from scratch and re-do everything the homeopath did, and treat on the basis of my own workup. Because, well, its important to do our job right and I don't think I can rely on a dx from a homeopath. Call me insensitive all you want, but you won't be able to call me negligent.

Members don't see this ad :)
The most important thing in medicine is not to worry about what the "correct" diagnosis is. You need to treat the patient, not some lab report. Medicine is about collaborating with your patients, not instructing them. You must allow the patient to collaborate with not only MDs, but also alternative and ethnic healers. Your presumption that the homeopath was somehow "wrong" is culturally insensitive, and propagates an outmoded model of healthcare in which physicians provide the only answer to complex biopsychosocial problems.

But I may be wrong, I've only taken anatomy and ethics + professionalism so far. We don't do parasitology til second year.

:laugh:

Prepare to lose your medical license, once you get one.

to the OP: Homeopathic doctors are obsessed with worms. I think they diagnose it whenever there is any GI complaint - for everything else they diagnose heavy metal toxicity.

Last edited:
Prepare to lose your medical license, once you get one.

to the OP: Homeopathic doctors are obsessed with worms. I think they diagnose it whenever there is any GI complaint - for everything else they diagnose heavy metal toxicity.

You may want to fine tune your Internet sarcasm meter a bit more...