World Record GMAT Score - Is Such a Thing Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

my first post in this sub-forum. i'm not a business guy (i'm in health research), but i have a question.

i'm in Taiwan now - and I'm having a conversation with this well-educated MBA applicant. she tells me the following story - and gives me proof with the links below, all of which i absolutely can not believe. the story goes:

apparently in 1995, a famous TV-personality here in Taiwan wrote the GMAT, and subsequently attended Harvard (i don't know specifically for what - though most probably MBA). she apparently got 780 on it. according to my friend (and this part i do not have any reason to doubt), the score was widely reported in the Taiwanese media as having broken the WORLD RECORD GMAT score.

my friend went on to give me the following links, all of which say the same thing (albeit, in Chinese - and if u don't have the language packs installed, u might not be able to see the characters - if it would even matter - but i can read the pages and verify that they all state her GMAT score, and they all state how it broke the world record - these pages may or may not work for you)

http://www.cheers.com.tw/feature/leisure/bmark07.asp
http://www.angelibrary.com/essay/pao_jia_chin.html
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/dea-l/16804.html

i grew up in the north american system and understand about tests and percentile ranks etc. as such, this story - despite the links and my friend's repeated insistence that it's true - just has way too many holes in it. just off the top of my head:

1. 780 is not a raw score, but represents a certain percentile rank. how is it that someone can score 780 without someone scoring 790 or 800? afterall - the scores (they do don't they?) run to 800 - and therefore the 780-score-percentile is defined by the scores above it - and someone therefore must have received them.

2. even if she really did "break" the world record, would this type of information even be released to the public? i don't believe ETS (or whatever company does GMAT) has a mandate to reveal this kind of thing.

3. if she really DID break the "record" - the only way i could see it is if the GMAT started in 1994. it has a longer history than that right?

4. i see lots of claims online for scores of 770 etc. i can't believe that she was uniquely the only person in the world at the time to beat them all.

5. you can only take with a grain of salt, the Taiwanese media.

so tell me - this is an impossible story right? can anyone produce a link that can DISPROVE my friend's claim? apparently - it's a source of pride in Taiwan among business students that one of their own had the world record in the GMAT. i just don't believe it.

please prove this to be false to me!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the post--a little too verbose. But how can you get a world record on a standardized test? Probably some propaganda to boost the spirits of the countrymen.

"On average, about 220,000 tests are taken every year, so around 2,200 people get 750 or above." at a link I found here, tried to find it on GMAC but I'm a little busy right now.

I'd have to call BS on your friend.

I was looking through the brochure for the MBA program at Dartmouth. They said the GMAT scores of applicant ranged up to 790, so yeah, he's probably BSing