Working With New Medics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dropdeded

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As pretty much a new (to 911) EMT, I've had a few instances where Im becoming leary of working with newer medics, being as niether one of us has much experience to draw from, it concerns me.

ed

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't agree more.

Service I worked at would absolutely NOT let two newbies work together. One of them has to have at least been working full-time for a year in the field prior to being partnered with somebody who has been there less than a year.

Usually, the crews were divided into dinosaurs (10+ years experience) and a newbie.

Of course, when you have over 150 medics to work with you can mix and match pretty well.

Might have a hard time if in a small or rural service.
May be unavoidable to place two inexperienced folks together.

later

12R34Y said:
Couldn't agree more.

Service I worked at would absolutely NOT let two newbies work together. One of them has to have at least been working full-time for a year in the field prior to being partnered with somebody who has been there less than a year.

Usually, the crews were divided into dinosaurs (10+ years experience) and a newbie.

Of course, when you have over 150 medics to work with you can mix and match pretty well.

Might have a hard time if in a small or rural service.
May be unavoidable to place two inexperienced folks together.

later

My first week as a paramedic:

I was sent to a dyspnea patient that turned into a CPR in the middle of the yard on the way to the ambulance in a very rural area with no first responders. The EMT had 3 shifts' experience.

Fortunately, I had been an EMT for a couple of years, and had some idea what I was doing.

The ambulance company I used to work for (think "the Walmart of ambulance companies") had a policy, at least in my area about having new employees working together on 911 ambulances (BLS they didn't care about), either the medic or the EMT could be new (<1 year) but never both. It's never good to have two newbies together when both are still feeling out there new roles.

An "old" medic will "keep" the new EMT in-line and show them the ropes.
An "old" EMT knows when to speak up, knows when to keep quiet, and knows how to say the right things.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was sent to a dyspnea patient that turned into a CPR in the middle of the yard on the way to the ambulance in a very rural area with no first responders. The EMT had 3 shifts' experience.

Learning to be an EMT is hard, being a new medic is harder, being a new medic with a new EMT sounds like a nightmare for both. :p