This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MississippiRx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m finishing up my pre read and things of that sort before actually applying to Irma Lerma Rangel School of Pharmacy. I plan to be done w/ undergrad Sprig 2019 & hopefully starting PharmCAS school in Fall of 2019. My biggest concern is funds during pharmacy school. Is it possible to have a part time job during PS? I doubt I’ll have a miraculous amount of savings w/ the next year given my current living expenses (rent, car note, insurance, etc.), how do you all make ends meet while juggling such a heavy school load ? Also, will financial aid pay for all four years? I know I’ll have to get loans but will FA still contribute ? Any advices would be much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most pharmacy students I've spoken with do not work more than 5-10 hours per week, if they have a job at all. Obviously you cannot pay the bills with that kind of work schedule, so a lot of pharmacy students take out loans not only for tuition but also for living expenses. Remember, the cost of pharmacy school is not just what's printed on the school's website!

To answer your financial aid question, keep in mind loans also technically count as financial aid. The term "financial aid" encompasses scholarships, grants, and loans, and each of these can be either federally-funded (for which you have to complete the FAFSA) or private. Your university may also offer some financial aid.

I'm assuming when you ask about financial aid, you're really asking about the aid that doesn't have to be paid back, i.e. scholarships and grants. It depends on the organization offering the aid whether it will cover all four years or if you have to reapply. Some are one-semester (or year)-only, some you need to reapply on a semesterly (or annual) basis, some cover two or three years only.

Reactions: 1 user