Working while doing a one year postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tahitian3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you doing the one year postbacc route (i.e. something like chem 1 and 2 in the summer and then bioI/II, physicsI/II, and orgoI/II for fall and spring :confused: ), are you working during this time? What is your opinion about working during a postbacc?
I know, for example, I could easily work days and go to Drexel's evening postbacc program (2 classes for 4 semesters, all in the evenings), but that would take 2 years. Going to a one year postbacc like Temple will get me going in one year. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

i worked while taking postbacc classes at the university of pennsylvania. i did research at the medschool. its nice, if you're working at the same school you're taking classes, classes are free, or nicely discounted. taking 2 classes at night is no big deal. the classes met once a week, 3 hours each time. the pace was fast, but you had a whole week to prepare each time. classes weren't terribly tough either. i took 3 or 4 at a time, but that was not a great idea. days are long though, you're at work bright and early every day and you most of the time you go straight to class after at like 5 or 6 and you don't get out till after 9. nights you don't have class, you'll prolly have to study to keep up since you might not be able to get any studying done during the days, and you have to be ready for exams beforehand since you might not be able to just take off and study all day or night. depending on how many classes you're taking and how intense it is, its definitely doable though. i worked full time and took 10 classes in 1 full calendar year, including summer. it depends on your situation though. if you're really looking to get in a lot of classes quickly and do extremely well, doing a full-time formal postbac may be more beneficial. i enjoyed it, learned a lot, got my classes in, and got a ton of clinical research and some reccs to go with it and saved a ton of cash.

I did the Temple Post bac in a year and didn't really work. My job in insurance was flexible enough for me to continue to work while I took the Chem sequence in the summer. Once fall hit with Bio, Orgo, and Physics all with labs and trying to get some hospital experience (which I never did end up getting) I couldn't justify working a job. My undergrad grades sucked and I needed as close to a 4.0 as I could get (ended the program with all As except for 2 A-s in the second semester). I begged borrowed and stole so that I could focus 100% on getting back into the swing of classes during the fall and focusing on the MCAT in the spring. I don't know what your reasons are for going through a post bac (no pre-reqs at all, poor pre-reqs, old pre-reqs, etc), but for me I had to overcome a very old, very bad transcript and that was worth living like a starving premed for a year! Hey, now I get to live like a starving med student till '06 so it was worth it to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a part time night job for the first few months of my post-bac (did it in one year) and it was a bit overwhelming. I felt like my grades were suffering b/c I didn't have quite enough time to study to get the A. I figured I only have one chance to get into medical school, I might as well go all out. It would be lame to say, "I didn't get into med school because I was too busy working some crappy part time job," right? I quit my job and focused on school. Plus, dep. on what program you go to, you'll probably have a lag year where you can work all you want to pay off debts from the post-bac year.
Good luck :luck:

Last semester, I worked full-time while taking Bio I and Chem I and associated labs. I got a B in chem lecture and A's in everything else, so it worked for me.

Next semester, I will be working part-time and taking organic I, calc I, and physics I. I think working full-time while taking that courseload would definitely not work unless you are one of those people who can pretty much learn by osmosis!

tahitian3 said:
For those of you doing the one year postbacc route (i.e. something like chem 1 and 2 in the summer and then bioI/II, physicsI/II, and orgoI/II for fall and spring :confused: ), are you working during this time? What is your opinion about working during a postbacc?
I know, for example, I could easily work days and go to Drexel's evening postbacc program (2 classes for 4 semesters, all in the evenings), but that would take 2 years. Going to a one year postbacc like Temple will get me going in one year. What do you all think?

I worked about 25-30 hours during my first two semesters but I only took one course per semester. I know people who take full loads and work full time but I think thats CRAZY. Way too much for me. Dont rush it...Its better to get all A's and get there in two years than all B's and maybe never get there. If you can do it, by all means go for it. Good Luck

I took one class per semester and worked full time and thought that was difficult. However, my commute is no joke. I drive an hour each way and just hoping there was not too much traffic was enough stress for me. Everyone is different, and learns differently. I personally, would not work at all if I had to take bio I, chem I , and physics I, all with labs, that is outrageous. That courseload is extreme, for me, anyway! Those labs take up a lot of time and energy, you will be living in the library, and will want to do your very best. Unless you are extremely bright and like someone said on the past thread, learn through osmosis, I would opt not to work and concentrate on your studies. Just my own opinion, and one that I plan on taking. Good luck! :luck: