working situations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coco09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are different options for working environment in rads? I know you can do tele, or pp, etc.

In the community hospital, I like how rads can consult each other with harder reads, and talk personally with referring doctors. With tele in the mix, is rads moving towards working alone and remotely rather than in a group at a hospital/outpt setting?

I like the idea of working at home, but I also like interacting with other radiologists and clinicians.

Members don't see this ad.

someone here once mentioned their were a solo practitioner. how does that work in radiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
someone here once mentioned their were a solo practitioner. how does that work in radiology?

- you get yourself an exclusive contract with a small hospital
- you read their x-rays, CT scans, MRIs etc.
- you contract with a telerad company to cover nights, some weekends and stuff you don't feel comfortable reading
- you bill medicare or the patients insurance or the patient for your services (either by hiring your own staff and using an office management software or by contracting it to a billing agency for a set percentage of your collections)

Much like in any specialty, you can work part-time, full-time in rads. You will make less $$$$ at the former and more with the latter.