HeadNeckBrainSpine - Flash Player No Longer Working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyberchicken001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used HeadNeckBrainSpine throughout my R1 year and it was a fantastic website. But now Adobe has discontinued Flash player and the site does not seem to work anymore. Does anyone know a way around this? Alternatively if anyone knows any comparable sites for anatomy and annotated cases would really appreciate! I already know about learningneuroradiology, but it's not quite the same. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I used HeadNeckBrainSpine throughout my R1 year and it was a fantastic website. But now Adobe has discontinued Flash player and the site does not seem to work anymore. Does anyone know a way around this? Alternatively if anyone knows any comparable sites for anatomy and annotated cases would really appreciate! I already know about learningneuroradiology, but it's not quite the same. TIA!
Imaios eanatomy is comparable but not quite to the degree that hnbs was.

Imaios eanatomy is comparable but not quite to the degree that hnbs was.
I liked (and still like) e-anatomy much more than HNBS -- there's a huge amount of brain/head/neck anatomy resources there, some of which I've never even explored. Maybe, ahem, spread the cost across your resident class if you don't want to cough up the $75 (but I think it's well worth it even on your own).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sad! This was a great resource for many cohorts of rads.

i had to look at a panorex on call the other day for the first time in a while and also discovered this sad development. i can't count teeth without headneckbrainspine please help

I've tried to get it to work, but I cannot find a work around. Downloaded the individual swf files (actionscript 3.0) and tried to use them through flash emulators and dedicated software (movavi, createJS, etc.). A lot of the old workarounds, such as converting flash to HTML 5 easily using Swiffy, etc., have also been shut down.

• Sad
I've tried to get it to work, but I cannot find a work around. Downloaded the individual swf files (actionscript 3.0) and tried to use them through flash emulators and dedicated software (movavi, createJS, etc.). A lot of the old workarounds, such as converting flash to HTML 5 easily using Swiffy, etc., have also been shut down.
I was going to attempt this with a friend in a month or so. I'll see if he has other suggestions.

There's actually a pretty good workaround I discovered: Download the official debugger off Adobe, which as of today is still supported:

After downloading, open the debugger. Then, try to open the flash player off HNBS -- it will prompt you to download a .swf file. Open this .swf file in the Adobe debugger. That's it!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
There's actually a pretty good workaround I discovered: Download the official debugger off Adobe, which as of today is still supported:

After downloading, open the debugger. Then, try to open the flash player off HNBS -- it will prompt you to download a .swf file. Open this .swf file in the Adobe debugger. That's it!
Looks like one could just download all the modules .swf files and then use the debugger to open them. I'm just going to keep this on a jump drive as a portable version once the website inevitable shuts down.

Here's the .swf files so hopefully it's easier for whoever sees this thread in the future. I apologize for using a mega link, but .swf files are not supported by SDN.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
download the swf files. There are several programs that open them offline, though the Adobe debugger is the best I’ve found so far. I haven’t found a great way for iPad but easy on a laptop.

Does anyone know the contact information of site developer?

In response to the original post, I've made a similar website for neuro call prep for our residents that doesn't need flash or other plugins (just a modern browser like Chrome or Edge). The website is edneurorad.com. It has an annotated head/brain anatomy module (both CT and MRI) inspired by what HeadNeckBrainSpine used to look like. The anatomy module is a work in progress with a good bit of work left to do but should still be useful. There are also a bunch of full volume, scrollable ED/on call cases (Head CTs, CTAs, CT perfusions, a few MRIs), all with annotated discussions and readouts.

Reactions: 5 users
In response to the original post, I've made a similar website for neuro call prep for our residents that doesn't need flash or other plugins (just a modern browser like Chrome or Edge). The website is edneurorad.com. It has an annotated head/brain anatomy module (both CT and MRI) inspired by what HeadNeckBrainSpine used to look like. The anatomy module is a work in progress with a good bit of work left to do but should still be useful. There are also a bunch of full volume, scrollable ED/on call cases (Head CTs, CTAs, CT perfusions, a few MRIs), all with annotated discussions and readouts.
I just checked out a few cases. Honestly, very well done. The read out feature is very helpful, especially for an incoming PGY-1 who doesn't know anything. I'll definitely be bookmarking and coming back to this.

In response to the original post, I have collaborated with Brett Young (creator of headneckbrainspine) to remake the brain-MRI module for modern web browsers (using HTML5). I have received funding from the University of Gothenburg in this work. I have also added latin nomenclature and an alternative version of quiz-mode. It is freely available at this page:

/ Erik Thurin,
MD, PhD
Radiology Resident
Sahlgrenska University Hospital
Gothenburg, Sweden

Reactions: 2 users
In response to the original post, I have collaborated with Brett Young (creator of headneckbrainspine) to remake the brain-MRI module for modern web browsers (using HTML5). I have received funding from the University of Gothenburg in this work. I have also added latin nomenclature and an alternative version of quiz-mode. It is freely available at this page:

/ Erik Thurin,
MD, PhD
Radiology Resident
Sahlgrenska University Hospital
Gothenburg, Sweden
Awesome work!!! Will the cases come back? They were really great.

This Website was one of my preferred Brian imaging references, especially for differentials... I wish it will be restored in the near future.
Herve Lekuya