working in europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superduper12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in working in europe after I get my degree (england/ france/ switzerland)

can U.S. trained podiatrists work abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in working in europe after I get my degree (england/ france/ switzerland)

can U.S. trained podiatrists work abroad?

I'm English and I've looked very lightly int the subject. Here's what I THINK I know. :)

British podiatrists are NOT doctorate level programs in the United Kingdom. it is an allied health degree. A lot of podiatrists in the U.K. do lots of palliative care. Most work for the NHS, and the rate of pay is not as much as you would get in America.

Americans working in the U.K. have to pay a substantial amount in taxes. Even my British citizenship doesn't get me out of that. But non-U.K. and E.U. citizens get a tough break over there. That coupled with the exponentially higher cost of living makes it hard. My parents recently tried their hand at business back home and were making 50,000 pounds yearly, which almost translates to $100K. They couldn't work it because my step-dad is an American citizen.

To be a podiatric surgeon in the United Kingdom is a long road. From what I understand, there are not that many. Most patients just see the orthopedist because pods levels of training are not like here in America. Although it is possible, you would probably have to work for a number of months with the NHS and apply for a surgical training programme, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I think the problems with socialized healthcare makes a very restrictive practice. I wouldn't want to go home to practice because I know that I can use ALL of my skills here in the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
British podiatrists are NOT doctorate level programs in the United Kingdom. it is an allied health degree.

It is also an allied health degree in the US, as is dentistry, optometry, chiropractic, physical therapy (all also 4 year "doctoral" programs). Just because your degree has the word "doctor" doesn't mean you are a the same thing as an MD/DO.

Physical therapist training in the US in the past 15 years went from a BSPT degree (4 year), to an MSPT (3 years), and then finally to a DPT (3 years). Guess what, they're still just physical therapists. A PT with a bachelor degree holds the same license and scope of practice as a DPT grad.

We are all allied health professionals... but we are not family physicians.

I don't have a problem with anything else you've said. :thumbup:

It is also an allied health degree in the US, as is dentistry, optometry, chiropractic, physical therapy (all also 4 year "doctoral" programs). Just because your degree has the word "doctor" doesn't mean you are a the same thing as an MD/DO.

Physical therapist training in the US in the past 15 years went from a BSPT degree (4 year), to an MSPT (3 years), and then finally to a DPT (3 years). Guess what, they're still just physical therapists. A PT with a bachelor degree holds the same license and scope of practice as a DPT grad.

We are all allied health professionals... but we are not family physicians.

I don't have a problem with anything else you've said. :thumbup:

Podiatry and dentistry in the US are not allied health. In most states podiatrists are classified as physicians as they are by Medicare.

No one is claiming that DPMs and DDS are the same as MDs or DOs. And the word "doctor" comes from Latin "docere" meaning to teach. It was hijacked by the medical professions away from early teachers. Now people like you think you have a monopoly on the word.

The Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions
http://www.asahp.org/definition.htm
Allied Health professionals are involved with the delivery of health or related services pertaining to the identification, evaluation and prevention of diseases and disorders; dietary and nutrition services; rehabilitation and health systems management, among others. Allied health professionals, to name a few, include dental hygienists, diagnostic medical sonographers, dietitians, medical technologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, radiographers, respiratory therapists, and speech language pathologists.

Last edited:
Podiatry and dentistry in the US are not allied health. In most states podiatrists are classified as physicians as they are by Medicare.

No one is claiming that DPMs and DDS are the same as MDs or DOs. And the word "doctor" comes from Latin "docere" meaning to teach. It was hijacked by the medical professions away from early teachers. Now people like you think you have a monopoly on the word.

well.. I'm a dentist myself. I consider myself a primary dental care provider, but I do not consider myself a primary care physician. [i.e. MD/DO who has residency training in primary care (GP/FP, internal med)]

I use the term Dr., but I would never refer to myself as a "physician". Nor would I (personally) refer to a podiatrist as a "physician".

PCP can mean one of two things.. either a Primary care Physician (MD/DO) or Primary care provider (any allied or other health care provider.. such as you and I as primary dental and podiatric care providers). If you think they are one and the same then by your definition a Nurse Practitioner can also be defined as a "Physician" as can a PA, and an optometrist, and every other health care provider almost. (which gets a bit silly really if you ask me)

However, I agree with your technical definition of the word "doctor". :thumbup:

Last edited:
well.. I'm a dentist myself. I consider myself a primary dental care provider, but I do not consider myself a primary care physician. [i.e. MD/DO who has residency training in primary care (GP/FP, internal med)]

I use the term Dr., but I would never refer to myself as a "physician". Nor would I (personally) refer to a podiatrist as a "physician".

PCP can mean one of two things.. either a Primary care Physician (MD/DO) or Primary care provider (any allied or other health care provider.. such as you and I as primary dental and podiatric care providers). If you think they are one and the same then by your definition a Nurse Practitioner can also be defined as a "Physician" as can a PA, and an optometrist, and every other health care provider almost. (which gets a bit silly really if you ask me)

However, I agree with your technical definition of the word "doctor". :thumbup:

Pods in America are not allied health professionals or midlevels.

I never claimed pods were PCPs, but we're not part of the allied health field. I don't even think optometry is allied health in America. In some states they are optometric physicians. Like LCR posted, we are considered physicians in most states. Our breadth of training is greater than NP's and PA's, who are considered mid-levels in America. A couple differences: A. Pods have full prescribing power in the United States. NP's and PA's do not, and I don't think that pods do in England. B. We need NO other physician supervision. I don't think pods in England do either, but PA's do and in most states NP's do as well.

Pods in America are not allied health professionals or midlevels.

I never claimed pods were PCPs, but we're not part of the allied health field. I don't even think optometry is allied health in America. In some states they are optometric physicians. Like LCR posted, we are considered physicians in most states. Our breadth of training is greater than NP's and PA's, who are considered mid-levels in America. A couple differences: A. Pods have full prescribing power in the United States. NP's and PA's do not, and I don't think that pods do in England. B. We need NO other physician supervision. I don't think pods in England do either, but PA's do and in most states NP's do as well.

Not to mention the fact that we are surgeons and hold surgical privileges at hospitals, as well as are members of medical staff (and yes, even chief medical officers).

Podiatrist not a physician???lol...yeah right. Try telling that to a diabetic

maybe you guys should start a new thread

this one is way off topic

Not to mention the fact that we are surgeons and hold surgical privileges at hospitals, as well as are members of medical staff (and yes, even chief medical officers).

Dentists equally require no supervision, have hospital priviledges, surgical training, and full prescribing rights.. and I still would never refer to myself as a "physician".

Why is being able to use the term to define yourself so important? What does it mean to you?

So many different types of health care providers in the US these days are using the term "physician" to refer to themselves.. Its just interesting.

Has the definition of the term changed in our country to mean any kind of health care provider with a "doctorate" and prescribing rights?

If you go to the UK you will find there is a very different definition of the term. Even if you graduate from medical school you may not refer to yourself as a physician unless you have completed "physician training" (internal medicine residency).

With all due respect, this is not the UK. This is the USA. If the majority of the states and Medicare consider a podiatrist a physician than it is so. Its not that the term is so important but please consider the fact that in other countries DOs are not considered physicians either. However, in the US they are legally the same thing as an MD. Are you arguing that osteopaths are not physicians?

Dentists equally require no supervision, have hospital priviledges, surgical training, and full prescribing rights.. and I still would never refer to myself as a "physician".

Wait, are you talking about dentists or OMFS? Correct me if I'm wrong but most dentists don't go to hospitals. Concerning surgical training, are you talking about office procedures or actual OR procedures? I mean, are we talking root canals and tooth extractions or complex oral maxillofacial recon? I say that because I think it is probably more accurate to compare todays podiatrist with oral maxillofacial surgeons and not dentists. I guess I've always been under the impression that many dentists do no residency training after school. Am I way off? I'd appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why is being able to use the term to define yourself so important? What does it mean to you?

So many different types of health care providers in the US these days are using the term "physician" to refer to themselves.. Its just interesting.

Has the definition of the term changed in our country to mean any kind of health care provider with a "doctorate" and prescribing rights?

If you go to the UK you will find there is a very different definition of the term. Even if you graduate from medical school you may not refer to yourself as a physician unless you have completed "physician training" (internal medicine residency).

You wouldn't find many pods going around calling themselves "physician" either.

Podiatrists advertise as podiatric physicians or podiatric surgeons.

It is an important issue for current podiatrists/students for a couple of reasons.

1. We use the term "physician" for reimbursement purposes through government-funded programs.

2. Our education is very close, though not exactly identical, to allopathic education in America. It's part of our parity outlook, Vision 2015, to be seen on an equal playing field with our M.D. and D.O. counterparts.

Personally, I don't care to ever use "physician." Surgeons are so much cooler and there is no way to debate whether we are surgeons or not. :cool:

With all due respect, this is not the UK. This is the USA. If the majority of the states and Medicare consider a podiatrist a physician than it is so. Its not that the term is so important but please consider the fact that in other countries DOs are not considered physicians either. However, in the US they are legally the same thing as an MD. Are you arguing that osteopaths are not physicians?

I never said it was the UK... I was just using that as a comparison for the general definition of the term Physician.

Even in the US the term has been traditionally reserved for those who completed medical school. Not dental medicine, podiatric medicine, optometric medicine, etc... just plain 'ole general medicine.

DOs are generally referred to as Physicians in the US because they are 100% to MDs and completed residency training programs in the exact same fields; they can even complete ACGME (MD) residencies.

Wait, are you talking about dentists or OMFS? Correct me if I'm wrong but most dentists don't go to hospitals. Concerning surgical training, are you talking about office procedures or actual OR procedures? I mean, are we talking root canals and tooth extractions or complex oral maxillofacial recon? I say that because I think it is probably more accurate to compare todays podiatrist with oral maxillofacial surgeons and not dentists. I guess I've always been under the impression that many dentists do no residency training after school. Am I way off? I'd appreciate your input.

Some dentists do work in hospitals.

General dentistry is still defined as "surgery", and even general dentists are allowed to do surgical extractions and incise and drain dental abscesses, etc.

A podiatrist can similarly graduate after 4 years and do "office based surgery", or they can.. just like an OMFS comlete a "residency" in podiatric surgery.

I don't see much difference.

You wouldn't find many pods going around calling themselves "physician" either.

Podiatrists advertise as podiatric physicians or podiatric surgeons.

It is an important issue for current podiatrists/students for a couple of reasons.

1. We use the term "physician" for reimbursement purposes through government-funded programs.

2. Our education is very close, though not exactly identical, to allopathic education in America. It's part of our parity outlook, Vision 2015, to be seen on an equal playing field with our M.D. and D.O. counterparts.

Personally, I don't care to ever use "physician." Surgeons are so much cooler and there is no way to debate whether we are surgeons or not. :cool:

1. So the term is only used (not because you are an MD/DO) but so that you can claim money from Medicare.. I gotcha.

2. hmm.. . so you're saying that by 2015 Podiatrists in the US are going to be applying to do residency programs in internal medicine, anesthesia, cardiovascular surgery, plastics, and neurosurgery? or.. are you saying that you will be equal in terms of being reimbursed the same as an MD or DO by Medicare and insurance companies for practicing podiatry?

Well...where I'm from, when I open the phonebook. "Podiatrist" is found under the "Physicians-Surgeons" section. Medicare/Medicaid considers a podiatrist a physician. This may not be the case for Dentists, Optometrists, and Chiropractors; but a podiatrist is in fact a physician by law(in most states). There is more to life than just MD/DO...They do not have a copyright on the word "physician".

"As a podiatric medical student, you will become a physician first and a podiatrist second.
In essence, you will be the physician and surgeon of the foot and ankle."

Taken directly from the WesterU website: http://http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/welcome.html

Yes, you will in a general way be a physician and surgeon (ie. a diagnostician and provide surgical treatment of foot and ankle problems). But you are not a "general family physician". The term "Physician" when not preceded by an adjective that defines your specific scope of "podiatry" is misleading as it infers you are an MD/DO "general physician".

For example.. I can say that I am an "oral/dental physician and surgeon" but I can not go around saying I am a "physician".

Make sense?

Last edited:
Well...where I'm from, when I open the phonebook. "Podiatrist" is found under the "Physicians-Surgeons" section. Medicare/Medicaid considers a podiatrist a physician. This may not be the case for Dentists, Optometrists, and Chiropractors; but a podiatrist is in fact a physician by law(in most states). There is more to life than just MD/DO...They do not have a copyright on the word "physician".

Actually most state medical boards do have laws that regulate the use of the terms "physician and surgeon" without identifying that you are a "podiatrist, dentist, optometrist, etc".

Nobody said that a podiatrist is a "general physician". That is ridiculous. Podiatrists work on feet. A podiatrist is a physician of the lower extremity, that's it, point blank. When I graduate, I plan on working in Alabama (one of MANY states that define a podiatrist as a PHYSICIAN). The point is, that depending on what state a podiatrist chooses to work in, that podiatrist is a "physician".

If you want to get technical, there is a connotative and a denotative meaning to the word physician. When you say "general physician", you are referring to the connotative or implied meaning. When I say "physician" I'm referring to the actual meaning of the word; as defined by statelaw.

Yes, you will in a general way be a physician and surgeon (ie. a diagnostician and provide surgical treatment of foot and ankle problems. But you are not a "general physician". The term "Physician" when not preceded by an adjective that defines your specific scope of "podiatry" is misleading as it infers you are an MD/DO "general physician".

For example.. I can say that I am an “oral/dental physician and surgeon” but I can not go around saying I am a “physician”.

Make sense?

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe anyone here would go around thinking/saying they are a "general physician"...

And besides, "podiatric physician" or "podiatric surgeon" just sounds cooler anyway...:)

Nobody said that a podiatrist is a "general physician". That is ridiculous. Podiatrists work on feet. A podiatrist is a physician of the lower extremity, that's it, point blank. When I graduate, I plan on working in Alabama (one of MANY states that define a podiatrist as a PHYSICIAN). The point is, that depending on what state a podiatrist chooses to work in, that podiatrist is a "physician".

If you want to get technical, there is a connotative and a denotative meaning to the word physician. When you say "general physician", you are referring to the connotative or implied meaning. When I say "physician" I'm referring to the actual meaning of the word; as defined by statelaw.

I never said you weren't a physician/surgeon of the foot/anke.

I think we are mis-communicating here. It is fine to use the term physician or surgeon as long as it is preceded by the term "podiatric" that defines your scope of practice.

Ex. You can say, "I am a podiatric physician"
You cannot say, "I am a physician"

If you set up shop in town and the only thing it said on the door was, "Dr. John Smith. Physician and/or Surgeon" without stating you were a podiatrist or stating that you were a podiatric physician/surgeon.. then you would be liabile... could be fined and/or loose your license. Simple as that. There are laws that state what you can and cannot advertise yourself as.

Last edited:
The mistake that you are making is that you are comparing a dentist to a podiatrist. They are teo seperate professions. I know for a fact that in Alabama, a podiatrist can use the term "physician" without adding "podiatric" in front. Alabama is not the only state like this. I'm quoting state law. You are going by your own personal definition of what a physician is. We have to agree to disagree

A podiatrist can similarly graduate after 4 years and do "office based surgery", or they can.. just like an OMFS comlete a "residency" in podiatric surgery.

is this true? i was under the impression that podiatrists currently must complete a 2 or 3 year residency just to practice at all.

The mistake that you are making is that you are comparing a dentist to a podiatrist. They are teo seperate professions. I know for a fact that in Alabama, a podiatrist can use the term "physician" without adding "podiatric" in front. Alabama is not the only state like this. I'm quoting state law. You are going by your own personal definition of what a physician is. We have to agree to disagree

It has nothing to do with dentistry. If podiatrists (or dentists) are allowed to refer to themselves as "physicians" with out a qualifier (ex. "podiatric physician").. it is only because the Alabama state board of medicine allows this.

Last edited:
is this true? i was under the impression that podiatrists currently must complete a 2 or 3 year residency just to practice at all.

Sorry.. that may have been true a few years ago. If it has changed, it has been very recently.

Podiatrist not a physician???lol...yeah right. Try telling that to a diabetic

Are podiatrists now prescribing all diabetic medication and regulating their systemic management?

.......or are they practicing a focused scope of practice and taking care of the foot and ankle complications of their diabetes.

hmm... Again.. you're role is not as their family physician or internist (MD/DO).

Last edited:
Though a dentist is not a medical doctor in the traditional sense, it is still quite appropriate to call one’s dentist by the title Dr., when speaking to or of them. Some dentists prefer the title Dr., while others work on a first name basis with their patients. It is not appropriate to refer to a dentist as Mr., Mrs., or Ms., since training has resulted in a doctorate.

Podiatric Physician:):)

I reviewed your links. They are very informative. However, they address how physicians choose to advertise themselves. Going back to one of my original points, MDs and DOs are legally considered physicians, but according to one of the links that you provided, a DO has to call himself an "osteopathic physician".

"(6) In the case of a person licensed to practice medicine by the Board of Medical Examiners for the
State of Oregon who holds the degree of Doctor of Osteopathy, or the equivalent, the word "osteopath" or
the words "osteopathic physician" or "osteopathic physician and surgeon."
http://www.oregon.gov/OMB/MD-DO_Appl...DrTitleLaw.pdf

So, according you, a DO isnt a "general physician" by your standards???
It's really splitting hairs....

Last edited:
Some dentists do work in hospitals.

General dentistry is still defined as "surgery", and even general dentists are allowed to do surgical extractions and incise and drain dental abscesses, etc.

I don't see much difference.

Ok, I see what you are saying. But it should be noted that all pods must do a surgical residency. The minimal a person can do is two years but the majority do a three year surgical residency. These are not office based procedures but surgeries performed in hospitals and surgery centers ranging from bunions and hammertoes to ankle fractures and calcaneal fractures.

Ok, I see what you are saying. But it should be noted that all pods must do a surgical residency. The minimal a person can do is two years but the majority do a three year surgical residency. These are not office based procedures but surgeries performed in hospitals and surgery centers ranging from bunions and hammertoes to ankle fractures and calcaneal fractures.

Thanks for the info! I think that is really great for your profession. :thumbup: A few states have discussed the idea of creating a nationwide requirement to complete a general dental residency. However, it isn't yet a requirment. A few states NY for example give you the option of either completing a 1 year residency or writing more exams. We'll see what happens in dentistry.

I reviewed your links. They are very informative. However, they address how physicians choose to advertise themselves. Going back to one of my original points, MDs and DOs are legally considered physicians, but according to one of the links that you provided, a DO has to call himself an "osteopathic physician".

"(6) In the case of a person licensed to practice medicine by the Board of Medical Examiners for the
State of Oregon who holds the degree of Doctor of Osteopathy, or the equivalent, the word "osteopath" or
the words "osteopathic physician" or "osteopathic physician and surgeon."
http://www.oregon.gov/OMB/MD-DO_Appl...DrTitleLaw.pdf

So, according you, a DO isnt a "general physician" by your standards???
It's really splitting hairs....

I agree with you that this is odd. It is interesting especially considering I thought Oregon was more liberal with traditional osteopath/naturopath practice in general.

However, I the fact remains that this is not the case for the majority of US states when it comes to the practice and advertising of DOs. It is still the case for the majority of US states when it comes to the practice of DPMs. Also, DOs are able to practice all fields and specialties of medicine within the US. Podiatrists are not. (more splitting of hairs) :D

We've split so many hairs that I think I'm going bald.lol:laugh:. At the end of the day, I would say that it is safe to say that each states has different laws regarding the title of physician which can become confusing and redundant. However, it is safe to refer to a podiatrist as a "podiatric physician" to be specific and avoid confusion.

We've split so many hairs that I think I'm going bald.lol:laugh:. At the end of the day, I would say that it is safe to say that each states has different laws regarding the title of physician which can become confusing and redundant. However, it is safe to refer to a podiatrist as a "podiatric physician" to be specific and avoid confusion.

:thumbup: :)

1. So the term is only used (not because you are an MD/DO) but so that you can claim money from Medicare.. I gotcha.

2. hmm.. . so you're saying that by 2015 Podiatrists in the US are going to be applying to do residency programs in internal medicine, anesthesia, cardiovascular surgery, plastics, and neurosurgery? or.. are you saying that you will be equal in terms of being reimbursed the same as an MD or DO by Medicare and insurance companies for practicing podiatry?

Here is what I understand about Vision 2015.

We are trying to get on par with M.D.s and D.O.s by -

Creating a uniform scope of practice for the entire country, based on states, like Florida, that allow for our entire surgical expertise to be utilized. For instance, in Florida, a pod can work on soft tissue up to the acetabulum and osseous up to the tibial tuberosity. In New York, a pod cannot perform cutting operations on the malleoli. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, gang.

Getting our programs to the point where we will be able to take the USMLE, or some other exam that is comparable to the USMLE.

Getting fair compensation for the procedures we perform. We are paid less than other surgeons for the exact same procedure.

Most pod students have no desire to fill or compete for allopathic or osteopathic residencies. Even if we did start taking the USMLE, some of us miss out on some courses that other med students take. On the other hand, other med students miss out on, really the best stuff, lower extremity anatomy. :D

Additionally, some schools integrate DPMs and either MDs or DOs into the same courses for the first two years. This can be used as a base to bolster the tenets of Vision 2015. :)

Here is what I understand about Vision 2015.

We are trying to get on par with M.D.s and D.O.s by -

Creating a uniform scope of practice for the entire country, based on states, like Florida, that allow for our entire surgical expertise to be utilized. For instance, in Florida, a pod can work on soft tissue up to the acetabulum and osseous up to the tibial tuberosity. In New York, a pod cannot perform cutting operations on the malleoli. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, gang.

Getting our programs to the point where we will be able to take the USMLE, or some other exam that is comparable to the USMLE.

Getting fair compensation for the procedures we perform. We are paid less than other surgeons for the exact same procedure.

Most pod students have no desire to fill or compete for allopathic or osteopathic residencies. Even if we did start taking the USMLE, some of us miss out on some courses that other med students take. On the other hand, other med students miss out on, really the best stuff, lower extremity anatomy. :D

Additionally, some schools integrate DPMs and either MDs or DOs into the same courses for the first two years. This can be used as a base to bolster the tenets of Vision 2015. :)

Dentists have our own version of the USMLE (NBDE) Part I, II, and III.

I think it would be better for your profession to create your own exams instead of using the USMLE. This would only add to (I feel) the the claim that DPMs want to be MDs.

Yeah, DPM is Podiatric medicine school. Not medical school. So it would be silly to try and push the DPM as equivalent to MD/DO in those terms. However, I do equally agree that you should get reimbursed appropriately.

I think it would be better for your profession to create your own exams instead of using the USMLE. This would only add to (I feel) the the claim that DPMs want to be MDs.

we do already have our own set of boards. NBPME I, II, III

Yeah, DPM is Podiatric medicine school. Not medical school. So it would be silly to try and push the DPM as equivalent to MD/DO in those terms. However, I do equally agree that you should get reimbursed appropriately.

We do have our own exams. Vision 2015 isn't to make us anything other than the best podiatrists we can be. None of us are trying to become anything other than that. From what I understand, the people behind Vision 2015 considered the USMLE because we can't think of the lower extremity as disconnected from the rest of the body. Obviously, much of what we do and prescribe has systemic effects. The writers of this new exam would probably emphasize the lower extremity, such as the osteopathic exam may have manipulation theory on it.

We do have our own exams.

From what I understand, the people behind Vision 2015 considered the USMLE because we can't think of the lower extremity as disconnected from the rest of the body. Obviously, much of what we do and prescribe has systemic effects. The writers of this new exam would probably emphasize the lower extremity

Sorry, .... but "a national board exam that covers medical systems but emphasizing the lower extremity".

Isn't that what you guys already have? (i.e.: NBPME I, II, III)

How is this new proposed lower extremity USMLE exam any different?

Would you still call it the USMLE? hmm...

Why not just update the exams you currently have keeping the name NBPME?

What do you feel is not currently getting examined in the NBPME that needs to be included?

I agree. I don't think taking the USMLE will benefit podiatry at all. We are going to school to be podiatrists. For me, it embarrasses the profession when some pods want to ride the MD coattails. As future podiatrists we should learn to stand on our own feet and realize how special this field is...that's why we call it a specialty. I, for one, am not persuing this profession in hopes of being an MD. The whole grass is greener ideology is getting old.

Isn't that what you guys already have? (i.e.: NBPME I, II, III)

Yes.

How is this new proposed lower extremity USMLE exam any different?

From what I understand, it wouldbe the actual USMLE.

Would you still call it the USMLE? hmm...

It would be the USMLE

Why not just update the exams you currently have keeping the name NBPME?

Sounds like a good idea. You should petition the APMA.

What do you feel is not currently getting examined in the NBPME that needs to be included?[/QUOTE]

I haven't taken part I, so I can't answer this.

We've digressed so far from the original topic. Oh my!