Working During School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buBBa15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions on the following:

I want to work per diem at my current hospital while enrolled in Pod school in order to help my parents with bills. IS it advisable? have any of u guys held jobs during school? how hard is it or am i setting up myself for failure?

Members don't see this ad.

i think this is a question only you can answer. some people can and some people can't. I worked during my first two years of undergrad thinking i could do it, but i couldn't and it didn't turn out so great. while i had some friends who worked a lot of hours and still managed to end up on dean's list every semester. IMO i would say, don't work during pod school.

If you can afford it, I recommend taking the first semester to fully dedicate to school. After that, you will have a lot better idea if you are able to handle a job and school.

Check with your school if any on campus jobs are available. An on campus job tends to be a lot more flexible and understanding to your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, no, no, no. Everyone who worked in my class is now gone or at the bottom of the class.

Why add more stress to an already stressful situation? I understand you want to help out, but believe me you will already have your work cut out for you.

If you REALLY need money I would recommend getting an easy work-study job at school (library, general office work). Make sure you kill your first year classes because a lot of schools have tutoring programs where they will pay upperclassmen that were highly successful in certain courses to tutor underclassmen. That's my main source of spending money, and it basically pays for my entire food bill and also helps out with paying for plane tickets for breaks.

If money is not a major concern and you have extra time I think a wiser decision would be to get involved in research.

If you REALLY need money I would recommend getting an easy work-study job at school (library, general office work). Make sure you kill your first year classes because a lot of schools have tutoring programs where they will pay upperclassmen that were highly successful in certain courses to tutor underclassmen. That's my main source of spending money, and it basically pays for my entire food bill and also helps out with paying for plane tickets for breaks.

If money is not a major concern and you have extra time I think a wiser decision would be to get involved in research.

I worked up until end of third year......I found it refreshing break and a chance to connects with the layperson. But it was HARD, I fortunately kept my gpa up and landed a Great residency program. If you choose to work, make sure it is one that is flexible schedule wise

Last edited: