Working During Master's Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychtnt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been accepted into a Psychological Research masters at a local state school for this fall. I am debating whether or not I should keep my research assistant job (full time) at a company that builds/sells psychological assessments. I love my job and I have spoken to my boss about being part time but I'm wondering if it will be feasible to work with a graduate course load. I currently work from home and will remain working from home for the foreseeable future. My grad program will also be remote at least for the fall semester. I have a 'graduate assistantship' that is more of a scholarship than anything and doesn't require more than meeting with my mentor. As the first in my family to get a graduate degree, I am worried about money. I have always had a job in undergrad and if I kept this one I might be able to avoid taking out excessive loans.
However, I am also in desperate need of EXCELLENT grades from this program in order to boost my chances of landing a spot in a fully funded PhD program. (I had a 3.1 coming out of undergrad) I really want all of my focus to be on studying and making connections with my professors/mentor. I would love to hear any advice folks have to offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working part time and attending a MS program should be doable. My MS program provided a tuition waiver and small stipend in exchange for 20 hrs a week of on-campus work and I found that manageable. Where you would likely find yourself most stretched are periods when you have both course deadlines and significant research tasks overlapping.

Do you have parenting or caretaking responsibilities? If not, I think it’s totally feasible to work part-time and then adjust if needed (including more hours if you feel things are very manageable).

Working part time and attending a MS program should be doable. My MS program provided a tuition waiver and small stipend in exchange for 20 hrs a week of on-campus work and I found that manageable. Where you would likely find yourself most stretched are periods when you have both course deadlines and significant research tasks overlapping.

Do you have parenting or caretaking responsibilities? If not, I think it’s totally feasible to work part-time and then adjust if needed (including more hours if you feel things are very manageable).
Thank you! I do not have any caretaking responsibilities so I think that part-time work is definitely doable. I think as long as things are remote, I won't be stretched too thin.