working a job during OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginaw623

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most OT programs advise you not to work more than 15-20 hours a week, but for me this is unrealistic. I will have debt/bills and I am going to have to pay them. Anybody else working during their program? I know balancing a job and school with be tough.

Members don't see this ad.

Several of my classmates work so it's not impossible but there are some factors you need to consider. Absolutely first off is time management. Are you organized and focused enough to be able to do schoolwork when you're not working and not be distracted about dating and other social obligations? Some people have jobs that allow them to do homework/study at work so that helps. We had one student who worked more than 20 hours a week and failed neuroanatomy and had to retake it. Retook it but then couldn't get all his fieldwork assignments done. He was placed on academic probation and eventually did not return for his second year. So now he has debt from his first year of school that he has to repay with no OT job. Not a good position to be in. Take a good hard look at what you know about yourself and be honest about your limitations. It's not impossible, like I said, but you have to be a very determined, focused, disciplined person. Classes, homework, readings, projects, presentations, fieldwork, papers, it goes on and on. Time is valuable and you have limited amounts of it in OT school. Just so you know.

I went into school thinking I could work, but once there, reality set in. So far the first year has been incredibly tough. Out of my class of 30+ people, the vast majority do not work at all. I don't believe those who do put in any more than 10 hours a week. So much time is spent in the classroom, working on assignments, studying for tests, working on group presentations and a lot of other extras that pop up. Unfortunately, you basically have to give up your life when in an OT Masters program. It's either that or you run the risk of failing out like the person Winginit mentioned; which then puts you into more debt with no degree. That said, I don't know your program, it might be less intense than mine. You might also absorb material quickly. If that is the case, you probably could work. But I honestly don't see anyone in a program like this working more than 20 hours a week.