Working 2nd job outside of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesPharmD

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Anyone have 2nd job or getting 2nd degree outside of pharmacy due to saturation? Any advices are appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You know, after reading all this talk about how this field is getting extremely saturated I have become more and more apprehensive as the days go by. And everything was going well for me. Got good score on PCAT, started working as technician, making good grades in school, etc.
Now I am about to throw that all away and think about just doing a coding bootcamp and see if I can land a computer programming job but this also sounds real risky too. I just don't know what to do anymore....
1527381704259.png

Reactions: 2 users
You know, after reading all this talk about how this field is getting extremely saturated I have become more and more apprehensive as the days go by. And everything was going well for me. Got good score on PCAT, started working as technician, making good grades in school, etc.
Now I am about to throw that all away and think about just doing a coding bootcamp and see if I can land a computer programming job but this also sounds real risky too. I just don't know what to do anymore....
View attachment 239393

At this point with the huge student loan bubble it would be best to go to a trade school, coding bootcamp, community college, or state school for anything that is relatively in demand. Going into any profession involves risks, but it is especially risky to go into one that requires six figures of debt and which you know pay and hours are being cut left and right.

Edit: something relatively in demand and does not require a lot of debt

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point with the huge student loan bubble it would be best to go to a trade school, coding bootcamp, community college, or state school for anything that is relatively in demand. Going into any profession involves risks, but it is especially risky to go into one that requires six figures of debt and which you know pay and hours are being cut left and right.

Edit: something relatively in demand and does not require a lot of debt
Welp..... I did a lot of reading about the job outlook of pharmacy and looked hard into computer science. I think I may just get a degree in computer science now even though I already have one in chemistry(was doing post bacc to finish up some pre req courses).
I found this really strange but it looks like most of the pre-req courses for this major I already mostly covered. Id be just jumping into the core classes.
I dunno though. I feel like I don't know the future for pharmacy jobs but at the same time I do not ever read anything good about the future outlook.

Welp..... I did a lot of reading about the job outlook of pharmacy and looked hard into computer science. I think I may just get a degree in computer science now even though I already have one in chemistry(was doing post bacc to finish up some pre req courses).
I found this really strange but it looks like most of the pre-req courses for this major I already mostly covered. Id be just jumping into the core classes.
I dunno though. I feel like I don't know the future for pharmacy jobs but at the same time I do not ever read anything good about the future outlook.

Seems like computer science makes the best ROI out of all. On Reddit I am always hearing about CS grads getting multiple job offers before graduation with stock options and signing bonuses. I also hear about how software engineers job hop every 3-6 months for a 20%+ raise each time.

If you go to forums on retiring early it seems that those who are doing the best are software engineers since they have been able to start earning high salaries at a young age with little or no student debt.

View attachment 239393
which coding bootcamp you doing. Do you anyone doing that and get good payment after that. Also, can you sent me the information about that? PM me if you like

which coding bootcamp you doing. Do you anyone doing that and get good payment after that. Also, can you sent me the information about that? PM me if you like
Unfortunately I do not know anyone and after doing a couple hours of research, its going to be tough to grab a job after a coding bootcamp. It would be better to get a bachelors degree along with doing the bootcamp to actually land a job.
Im sure it wouldn't take as long as pharmacy school to do this though. It would take me 5 years to become a pharmacist and only about 2-3 years to become a software engineer or developer due to all pre reqs i already finished(also a lot less money as well).

If coding is the way you want to go, the boot camp I keep seeing the most about is: App Academy

From their site (front page):

$0 in tuition until you're hired
App Academy was the first coding school to base students' tuition on their first year's salaries after the course. No matter what changes, we will continue to tie our success to yours. Click below to learn about our Tuition Limit Option.

It may be worth looking into for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Pipeline welder contractor. At MOST 9 months of training = $125k - $200k (more for overseas). Do it for awhile, get a stateside gig with experience and get your $120k. Small sacrifice and big gain. Then again I’m not much of an “office” sitting kind of guy so to each their own

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have 2nd job or getting 2nd degree outside of pharmacy due to saturation? Any advices are appreciated
Getting a 2nd degree sounds risk doesn't it? If you are already ~$200k in debt from pharmacy school, you're going to financially drown even further if you are now taking out even more loans for a second degree as your interest on your +$200k debt grows. If you can't get a pharmacy job (which seems very common place nowadays) wouldn't it be better to try to pay off your loans first by working a job that only requires your bachelors?

As far as people getting 2nd jobs, I wouldn't be surprised if that's going to be the norm soon. With hours being cut, pharmacists will mostly be a part-time only position with no benefits in the near future.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 239393
Do it. I was in the same boat at you. Went into to programming after i graduated with a degree in bio and chemistry. Best decision i ever made. And there is no risk in getting a computer science job. If you are a US citizen or a gc holder you will easily get a job since trump is cracking down on h1s. unemployment is low at 3.7% and the company I work at can't even find developers despite offering 115k-130k.