workin on MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmjannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here is my story. I finished undergrad last year with a 3.4 gpa overall, and 3.25 sci gpa. Bleh. I did apply, but didnt get in. So, now I am working on a MPH in Epi, and doing well (took 6 classes last semester, 3.88gpa). And my mcat was a 30...dont recall what the writing sample was. Just wondering if any of you have decided on the MPH path, or if anyone here had a similar experience to mine, then ended up getting into med school on their next try. I am going to apply for the fall 2005 class. Basically, Im just trying to gague what my chances are. (And my best friend just got rejected from her state school last week, so I am kind of freaking out). Thanks all.

Cheers.

PS - Im new to SDN, so I wasnt sure whether to post this here or in the MPH forum.

Members don't see this ad.

well, i did an mph, and i have to say the experiences you have there will help you get in...take advantage of research opps (esp. since you're doing epi....) and internships.....use this time to volunteer, and get your gpa up.......you've still got time to pad the app., so use it!!!! and with your epi classes that science gpa will go up....because a lot of epi classes are bio.....so hang in there...you'll be fine...

I would definately agree...you seem to be well on the right path, and doing well to boot(which ALWAYS helps).

Please feel free to post in this forum, as it is always nice to have new faces, as well as the old ones...

Best of luck to you...and post away!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
are MPH programs always 2 years?? curious... i always considered getting one in epi, i want to do ao combined if i get into med school, but if i dont i may just get that first....

Not always. I am taking 17 semester hours per semester for 2 sems. And 6 this summer. So, I will be done with MPH epi in 2 sems plus one summer. You really have to dedicate yourself though. Best of luck.

Cheers.

Originally posted by kmjannie
So, here is my story. I finished undergrad last year with a 3.4 gpa overall, and 3.25 sci gpa. Bleh. I did apply, but didnt get in. So, now I am working on a MPH in Epi, and doing well (took 6 classes last semester, 3.88gpa). And my mcat was a 30...dont recall what the writing sample was. Just wondering if any of you have decided on the MPH path, or if anyone here had a similar experience to mine, then ended up getting into med school on their next try. I am going to apply for the fall 2005 class. Basically, Im just trying to gague what my chances are. (And my best friend just got rejected from her state school last week, so I am kind of freaking out). Thanks all.

Cheers.

PS - Im new to SDN, so I wasnt sure whether to post this here or in the MPH forum.

The crux (I think) is proving yourself to the adcoms. Face it, although you may be interested in research, you are getting a graduate degree to "improve your chances of getting in." This is something you might consider addressing in essays and interviews should you decide to go to grad school.

Also, graduate school can be a real drag. Someone asked about the time to obtain an MPH. If you're not currently a professional, some PH schools require that you work towards a Master of Science in PH degree (a thesis takes more effort than a practicum). Speaking of effort - your advisor/major professor can make that stepping stone graduate degree turn into a real mountain.

To which schools are you applying? What's your state of residence - a 30 is very competative at most state MSs?

I am from Iowa....(doing my MPH at U of Iowa). Will definitely apply to UIowa for Med school, probably Wisconsin, Minnesota, and some schools in Illinois. Also Nebraska and Creighton. At Iowa, the final piece of receiving the MPH degree is to complete a practicum and then write a 30 page paper and give a presentation about what you did. So, it isnt really as research based as some other programs might be. I guess all I can do is be proactive about things, and then wait and see if my hard work pays off in the end.

Cheers, all.

Originally posted by kmjannie
I am from Iowa....(doing my MPH at U of Iowa). Will definitely apply to UIowa for Med school, probably Wisconsin, Minnesota, and some schools in Illinois. Also Nebraska and Creighton. At Iowa, the final piece of receiving the MPH degree is to complete a practicum and then write a 30 page paper and give a presentation about what you did. So, it isnt really as research based as some other programs might be. I guess all I can do is be proactive about things, and then wait and see if my hard work pays off in the end.

Cheers, all.

If you have decent ECs, I think you'll do fine. Just make sure you qualify for the MPH. Also, do your homework researching a major prof. You want to avoid being stuck analyzing a perfectionist's data (data analyses are never complete) - I'm sure you can't matriculate unless you finish the MPH.

If it sounds like I'm speaking from experience, I am. My master's thesis is thicker than most doctoral dissertations at my school. This actually caused some turmoil in the department.

Feel free to PM me for any more advice.

Good luck