MPH or MS to benefit my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRG32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into pursuing a master's program before reapplying to medical schools. I applied to both MD and DO schools after my third year with a 3.2 cgpa, a 2.9 sgpa, and a 504 on my MCAT (will probably take again), and I just graduated with a 3.4 cgpa and a 3.1 sgpa. I applied to and was accepted into both a MS in anatomy program and a MPH in epidemiology program. I know many people will recommend that I ditch the master's and just do a post-bac, but if I am going to spend money on more school I'd rather have an advanced degree under my belt. I am having a hard time deciding between the two programs because they both are valuable for different reasons. Both focus on subject matter I am highly interested in; however, I would like to know which program you guys think would better my chances of getting into medical schools when I reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

this story sounds somewhat familiar. I would do the epi because it seems to me like the anatomy is not nearly as interesting. Frankly, I had a lower GPA from UG but I believe I had a little higher of an MCAT (different score scale when I did it). Personally, I would favor moving forward also as opposed to going back. Maybe you would want to go back if there was even more serious problems with the academic record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either program is fine. It doesn't matter what it is, what matters is you boost your GPA. You should aim for stellar grades. The MPH has a broader range of use than the MS in anatomy. Although it depends where you see yourself down the road in your career. How long are those programs and how much do they cost? How does this compare to the post-bac?

Reactions: 1 user
I think that for you, the MS in anatomy would be a better option because it's a higher level science course. You science and cGPA are a little bit low for medical schools, but if you can take the anatomy masters and kick ass, that'll definitely look good.

I think that the MPH would be better if you had a higher GPA only because it's not a strictly science dedicated subject.

I think the people in this thread responding aren't being honest enough. Neither one of those degrees will enhance your chances of getting into medical school.

If you want to increase your chances of getting an acceptance then you need to take more classes as a postbacc or do an SMP (riskier).

Is the MS in anatomy offered by a medical program and would you be taking classes alongside other medical students?

The mph classes aren't considered rigorous and won't offset your low gpas.

Reactions: 4 users
What will keep you out of medical school: 3.1 science GPA

What will not help, not even a teeny little bit, against that 3.1: non-science or soft science such as an MPH

What will actually determine your fate: Step 1

What will help you the most on Step 1, before med school: a time-tested, exam-tested, deep, agile understanding of basic sciences

What will not touch your undergrad GPA: grad coursework

A thing that kids with great GPAs can do while they're deciding whether to go to med school: an MPH

A thing you can do at any time in your career, including during med school, if it's what you want: an MPH

A thing that won't really help or hurt you in non-public-health job searches as an MD or DO: an MPH

Either med school is your goal, or it's not. If med school is your goal, then do what successful premeds do: very strong work (ie 3.7+) in multiple years of mostly-science undergrad. 3.1 is still a big fat red flag regardless of what you do in a one year SMP.

If you're (a) really sick of undergrad and (b) wanting a plan B on your way to maybe getting into med school, do a rigorous traditional masters, with pubs, in something like biochem or microbio or neuro or genetics. That plus an above average MCAT would get you in the game.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 4 users
@DrMidlife is pretty spot on. The only thing I'd tailor to @RRG32 's situation is that I think the SMP may hold more weight if he/she can hit a really strong GPA there (think 3.8+). The reason is that it seems like there was a pretty significant upward trend during the last year of undergrad for OP, and having 2 years in a row with strong grades in upper level science classes may be enough at some institutions to look past the problems earlier in your undergrad career as there are many ways to explain the improvement/lack of performance early on.

It would also benefit OP greatly to retake that MCAT and aim for a 510+ to bolster the fact that improvements have been made.

@DrMidlife is pretty spot on. The only thing I'd tailor to @RRG32 's situation is that I think the SMP may hold more weight if he/she can hit a really strong GPA there (think 3.8+). The reason is that it seems like there was a pretty significant upward trend during the last year of undergrad for OP, and having 2 years in a row with strong grades in upper level science classes may be enough at some institutions to look past the problems earlier in your undergrad career as there are many ways to explain the improvement/lack of performance early on.

It would also benefit OP greatly to retake that MCAT and aim for a 510+ to bolster the fact that improvements have been made.
An SMP with some degree of linkage and a 510+ MCAT retake is most likely the best option for OP.

I think the people in this thread responding aren't being honest enough. Neither one of those degrees will enhance your chances of getting into medical school.

If you want to increase your chances of getting an acceptance then you need to take more classes as a postbacc or do an SMP (riskier).

Is the MS in anatomy offered by a medical program and would you be taking classes alongside other medical students?

The mph classes aren't considered rigorous and won't offset your low gpas.

Yes, the MS degree is offered by the school of medicine with classes that medical students will be taking.

Yes, the MS degree is offered by the school of medicine with classes that medical students will be taking.
So I'm assuming this is an SMP? Be careful with those because if you don't perform well then it could hurt you and leave you in a worst position that you are in now.

Reactions: 1 user