All Branch Topic (ABT) Workday of an Air Force Dentist? Navy/Army? Specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etudes

Op. 25 No. 11
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the HPSP boards are approaching (with AF results already out), I am curious about the future as a military dentist (especially the AF since there’s less threads/posts regarding this branch, unless I’m not looking correctly):

It seems most people choose AF for the quality of life (and maybe for its selectivity). What about the opportunities as an Air Force dentist? (Or the other two branches as well)

1. Day-to-day variety of works: Although this is dependent on the Commander, in general, do AF dentists get a good variety of cases to practice their skills? I understand that there will be many checkups and fillings, but I’m just curious if we are able to do more if we want to. Are there opportunities for training/moonlight to practice some procedures that we rarely get a chance to do at our particular base?
Does the Air Force being a smaller branch limit the scope of what a dentist can do in general? (I assume Navy/Army being bigger = more variety of cases)

2. Specializing (After AEGD): Is it harder to get into a specialty in the AF compared to the Navy and Army since it is a smaller branch? (Therefore, would it be wise to go for the Navy/Army if we plan to specialize inside the branch later on?)
Army has more residency spots (been told by many)
Navy may let you go for civilian residency
What about the Air Force? (The # of spots might be lower but could the # of dentists applying be lower as well? No?) Any way to find this year’s AF selection results similar to the Navy DUINS?

If anyone can provide any info regarding the work environment of any branch, it will be much appreciated! I just want to have an idea of what I’m getting myself into. I’m not concerned about quality of life, deployment, or additional military duties, but I do wish to know about growth potentials and dental training opportunities.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gonna keep it general, but the military and each person's experience can vary greatly depending on the individual's personality (ie, someone who can't cope well w changes or stresses over not having a particular brand of XYZ product is going to be in for a crappy time), command (which changes every few years), and location (if you can't be away from family or can't cope with being sent abroad then you're f'd).

1) Day-to-day: Usually the day starts at 0730 and ends at 0430. Some spots (ie, Korea) make you do PT every day, but most don't. Tx varies, but so far I've been able to do operative, fixed (FDP, single unit implants), extractions and nsRCT. But again, this varies because some commands just care about the numbers and want you to just do operative all day, err day.

2) Army has most spots because it has the most soldiers. But you could argue that specializing isn't necessarily easier because more soldiers = more dentists = more people to compete against.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard from an Army recruiter its easier to move up rank in the Army compared to Navy and Air Force in case you wanna make it a career but not sure if it was biased. Can someone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from an Army recruiter its easier to move up rank in the Army compared to Navy and Air Force in case you wanna make it a career but not sure if it was biased. Can someone confirm this?
Even if this was true in the moment, it will likely be different when you hit the more competitive ranks above major in the future. I wouldn't choose a service based on this.

Likely untrue for officers (I recall reading that Navy enlisted guys do promote faster though). I would suggest you "try out" the military first before thinking you're gonna do the full 20.

Otherwise, if you have a pulse, you will make Major. If you specialize and don't do anything drastically ******ed, you will likely make LTC. I think the real competition starts at COL though. Just my 2c.

Gonna keep it general, but the military and each person's experience can vary greatly depending on the individual's personality (ie, someone who can't cope well w changes or stresses over not having a particular brand of XYZ product is going to be in for a crappy time), command (which changes every few years), and location (if you can't be away from family or can't cope with being sent abroad then you're f'd).

1) Day-to-day: Usually the day starts at 0730 and ends at 0430. Some spots (ie, Korea) make you do PT every day, but most don't. Tx varies, but so far I've been able to do operative, fixed (FDP, single unit implants), extractions and nsRCT. But again, this varies because some commands just care about the numbers and want you to just do operative all day, err day.

2) Army has most spots because it has the most soldiers. But you could argue that specializing isn't necessarily easier because more soldiers = more dentists = more people to compete against.

Hey Durian, that’s really good to know! Thanks for the info! I have gotten similar workday details from a couple of Air Force dentists. Seems like where you’re assigned and the person in command can dictate what your experience will be. I assume you’re in the Army? Did you applied for residency in the military and do you know if P/F is a good idea for military residency (I have no idea what they look for)? If you don't mind me asking. Just something I’m curious about.

I was told similar details for promotions. Army officer promotions may be “faster” but they eventually hit the same bottleneck at LTC or COL.

Hey Durian, that’s really good to know! Thanks for the info! I have gotten similar workday details from a couple of Air Force dentists. Seems like where you’re assigned and the person in command can dictate what your experience will be. I assume you’re in the Army? Did you applied for residency in the military and do you know if P/F is a good idea for military residency (I have no idea what they look for)? If you don't mind me asking. Just something I’m curious about.

I was told similar details for promotions. Army officer promotions may be “faster” but they eventually hit the same bottleneck at LTC or COL.

Yes, I am in the Army and completed an AEGD. No, I haven't (and have no plans to) apply to any other residency programs as of now. I don't think P/F matters at all. I think the most competitive applicants in the Army have the following: deployments, great LORs, and grades/ranking.

As for the promotions, see this: Promotion Times, Rates, and Total Numbers in Service