Work While Attending PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tazzeroni

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone works (or plans on working) while attending PT school. I was under the impression that it really wasn't typical as grad school is so time consuming, but I figured I'd see what everyone else thought.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to some first year students recently, and basically they said the couple of people that tried to work part time on the side gave up (on their job) within about 3 weeks. I hear that first year can be pretty time consuming, so I'm more or less planning on being a full time student and just squeezing living under the missus' salary. It'll be tight, but we'll have food and shelter. :)

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone works (or plans on working) while attending PT school. I was under the impression that it really wasn't typical as grad school is so time consuming, but I figured I'd see what everyone else thought.

Thanks!

I have talked to current students that are working or have and got a lot of mixed advice; it seems to depend a lot on the individual as to whether they can handle it or not. I do plan on continuing to work when I start school next month. Luckily, I have been working for the last few years at the university I will be attending. My hours are extremely flexible, my job is only two blocks from my classes, and keeping my job gives me staff tuition benefits. I'll be cutting back from full-time to part time for obvious reasons, but as a nontrad, I can't just quit my job completely (In-school student loan deferment, yes. Mortgage deferment, not so much.). I'll let you know in another month how that's working out...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have talked to current students that are working or have and got a lot of mixed advice; it seems to depend a lot on the individual as to whether they can handle it or not. I do plan on continuing to work when I start school next month. Luckily, I have been working for the last few years at the university I will be attending. My hours are extremely flexible, my job is only two blocks from my classes, and keeping my job gives me staff tuition benefits. I'll be cutting back from full-time to part time for obvious reasons, but as a nontrad, I can't just quit my job completely (In-school student loan deferment, yes. Mortgage deferment, not so much.). I'll let you know in another month how that's working out...

I'm in the exact same situation (minus the staff benefits =S) so I'll try to work just as much as school work lets me. A PT school professor told me that, even though they recomend not to work at all, some people do it, they even work up to 30h/week but it IS hard. And I also think it really depends A LOT on the individual. Let's face it even in undergrad some people have to spend their entire time studying while others can work full time.

I might work, but like you said, I heard school is so time consuming you can't do both. If I do, it would be only about 10 hours a week, which is how much I worked in undergrad.