Words I Just Can't Spell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this for a while now and no matter how many times I look them up I just can't spell some words. Aneurysm is the main one. I hope that there's an ICD 9 code for aneuerueyseuem.

Others are:
diarrhea
hemorrhage
chlamydia

Members don't see this ad.

I've been doing this for a while now and no matter how many times I look them up I just can't spell some words. Aneurysm is the main one. I hope that there's an ICD 9 code for aneuerueyseuem.

Others are:
diarrhea
hemorrhage
chlamydia

i think gonorrhea is harder than chlamydia

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't spell rhythym and no I don't have any either.

-Mike

I have problems with penicillin. How many e's does that word have? One? Two? I never know!

Also:
avocado
aneurysm
galactorrhea
galactosemia

metastasectomy

"Spell checker"

It won't cover the more obscure medical terms, but for most of them, it'll do.

They haven't come up with a spell checker for my hand written T sheets yet.

Just change the word:

diarrhea ...... loose stools
hemorrhage .. bleeding

mike

"Spell checker"

It won't cover the more obscure medical terms, but for most of them, it'll do.

Spell Checker is hard for you to spell? ;):p

Just change the word:

diarrhea ...... loose stools

mike

I dunno, loose stools just doesn't convey the same meaning to me as diarrhea. "Loose stools" does not imply the rivers of poo that diarrhea can.

Another solution for T-sheets: crappy handwriting. If all the letters look the same, how can anyone tell if any given word is spelled correctly?

Volvulus. Why can't we just say "Torsion"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hemrrhoid.

Oh , why must that word plague me so?

or varicocele/hydrocoele

Or learn to spell. You graduated (presumably) from Medical School, for goodness sake.

Personally, I have a copy of Stedmans on my laptop, when I encounter a medical word that Office doesn't know how to spell, I check the spelling, and then add it to my custom.dic dictionary file in Office.

I'm close to 6,000 words right now.

Or, you can buy (from Stedmans) a pre-made dictionary file. Only costs $100 or so.

dehiscence...

Even when I spell it right, I can't tell because I can never remember what it's supposed to look like...

orthopaedic... what the heck is that e in there for?

orthopaedic... what the heck is that e in there for?
it's the Brits. We veterinary orthopods spell it "Orthopedic" http://www.vosdvm.org/

And to the person who so righteously declared we should "learn how to spell" You might want to remove the stick from your pooper. Some people have dyslexia or other learning disabilities that have nothing to do with the kind of doctor they are. Just because someone is a poor speller doesn't mean they aren't a good MD (or DVM or whatever)

Or learn to spell. You graduated (presumably) from Medical School, for goodness sake.

Personally, I have a copy of Stedmans on my laptop, when I encounter a medical word that Office doesn't know how to spell, I check the spelling, and then add it to my custom.dic dictionary file in Office.

I'm close to 6,000 words right now.

Or, you can buy (from Stedmans) a pre-made dictionary file. Only costs $100 or so.

It's Stedman's with an apostrophe, numbnuts. At least don't be hypocritical when you're being condescending.

It's Stedman's with an apostrophe, numbnuts. At least don't be hypocritical when you're being condescending.

USCDiver - you rule my small, self centered little world!

Then again, I always have a little happy moment whenever someone can use 'numbnuts' in a sentence.

PS - Apparently I can't spell sentence - I usually spell it sentance. Oops. And personally, I wouldn't care if my MD (or my MD colleages) couldn't spell worth a damn if they could diagnose and treat patients AND actually facilitate diagnostic studies AND not piss off nursing. Oh yeah, and speak understandable English on the phone. That's key.

Spelling correctly is totally optional.

Well, since you presumably graduated from USC, I'll type very large and slowly so you can read it.

It's spelled correctly. I freely admit to having trouble with grammar. I'll start giving a crap about grammar when people start spelling better.

And after the game last week, I'll be as condescending towards you east side clowns as I want.

When you presume you make a pres out of u and me. Wait, that ain't right...

Anyway, I didn't graduate from 'that' USC, asshat, I graduated from the original USC. And if you want to be condescending about spelling, don't admit you're a grammar idiot, because the two go hand in hand.

I can't figure out how to spell Fatty McFattypants

intussusception.

this from a boy who lives in Tennessee. had a hard time with that until i was in sixth grade, too.

When you presume you make a pres out of u and me. Wait, that ain't right...

Anyway, I didn't graduate from 'that' USC, asshat, I graduated from the original USC. And if you want to be condescending about spelling, don't admit you're a grammar idiot, because the two go hand in hand.

Oh, so your father is also your brother, and your uncle? The one that invented toothpaste (otherwise, it would be called teethpaste)?

OK.

Glad I typed slow and big for you, anyway.

Personally, grammar errors bother me more than misspellings. This is certainly partly due to the fact that I'm not a great speller (abscess gives me trouble), but also due to the fact that poor grammar can often lead to what you've said actually meaning the opposite of what you intend it to. Unless a misspelling is especially bad and coincidental, the worst that'll happen is that you'll look a bit silly.

I took a medical vocabulary course that was the most valuable undergraduate course I ever had. There were 5 words that if we ever misspelled, we automatically failed the course:

Hemorrhage
Diarrhea
Mucus the noun
Mucous the adjective

and one other I can't remember.

I consider myself a pretty good speller rbut menorrhagia is always a tough one.

btw one of my attendings pointed out that there is an ICD-9 code for "*****".. love it.. And I will say this is highly underutilized but I know why.. (Damn lawyers!)

The bane of my medical spelling life.....

Duodenectomy

Close runner up.

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (Thank God for EGD abbreviation!)

I took a medical vocabulary course that was the most valuable undergraduate course I ever had. There were 5 words that if we ever misspelled, we automatically failed the course:

Hemorrhage
Diarrhea
Mucus the noun
Mucous the adjective

and one other I can't remember.

mucus vs mucous.. wow.. I learned something new today (alas, I will forget it by tomorrow though)

the proper spelling of ophthalmologist, "optho" was how I thought it was spelled until match day...

They haven't come up with a spell checker for my hand written T sheets yet.

Get a scribe, then blame the scribe :D

I'm usually okay on difficult words. It's the simple ones that get me. It took me forever to get Vicadin out of my head for some reason and spell it Vicodin. I always try to put two T's in vomiting. I usually catch it before crossing the last "t" and it becomes a tall "i".

As for some of the really difficult words, I just ask the doc how to spell it. Studentness has it's perks. :D
I think drug names are the worst, I think.