Wonderboy chokes to death (from Kolkata )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedtomed

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1118454.cms

KOLKATA: Eleven-month-old baby Lokman Hakim, who weighed over 20 kg, choked to death at SSKM Hospital on Sunday. He was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday to diagnose the cause of his excessive weight.

Around 2 pm on Sunday, Lokman's mother Ganera Bibi was feeding him mashed boiled rice. The baby had been put on a diet of semi-solid food since Friday by the medical board supervising his treatment.

Lokman started getting hiccups soon after his meal. Doctors suspect he had "overeaten" and food particles had got stuck in his trachea primarily due to the lack of muscular co-ordination.

"I don't know what happened. My son had never been given rice before. We brought him all the way from Murshidabad for treatment, and now he is no more," said the shocked mother.

Lokman's hiccups continued at brief...
... intervals. The nurse in attendance was called but couldn't help. The hospital declared him dead at 6 pm.

"All the while he kept smiling," said the grieving mother. At home in Murshidabad, Lokman used to consume 5 litres of milk and 1 kg of boiled rice-flour a day.

LOKMAN'S LAST DAYS

April 17: Lokman's case is reported.

May 9: Parents bring him to SSKM but don't get him admitted

May 17: Parents meet Subhas Chakraborty, who gets Lokman admitted to SSKM Hospital.

May 20: Hospital forms board to diagnose ailment. Medical Board advises semi-solid food for the baby

Members don't see this ad.

so he choked b/c he was excessively overweight? it's such an unusual case... hard to believe that the mother was innocent... then again i don't trust anyone too easily. poor baby... really, i mean, that's the saddest thing i've heard all day. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Why was he drinking 5 liters of milk per day? Thats more than one gallon! So of course one could expect him to be overweight. Sad case, silly parents.

HistoRocks said:
Why was he drinking 5 liters of milk per day? Thats more than one gallon! So of course one could expect him to be overweight. Sad case, silly parents.

very true. i totally overlooked that!

...poor baby!!! He probably had a hormonal disorder and the physicians didn't check to see what was actually wrong with him. Going from drinking milk to eating rice was not going to solve the problem, if not make it worse. And how the heck did the mom feed him so much??? Babies eat/drink so slowly, the mom would have to sit with him all day long feeding him to get that much milk/rice flour into him. Just cuz a baby is crying doesn't always mean that he/she is hungry. Oh well, I think the doctors failed to diagnose his condition right. And how was the baby smiling while choking? I feel bad for the baby and parents :(

Oh maybe the mom meant that her son was smiling all the time before he got to the hospital...as in he was a happy kid (and not while choking, my bad)

plz. no offense,guys!calcutta hospitals are a one-way traffic!one who enters wont go back!a very sorry ,but true picture of calcutta hospitals! :oops:

Premedtomed said:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1118454.cms

KOLKATA: Eleven-month-old baby Lokman Hakim, who weighed over 20 kg, choked to death at SSKM Hospital on Sunday. He was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday to diagnose the cause of his excessive weight.

Around 2 pm on Sunday, Lokman's mother Ganera Bibi was feeding him mashed boiled rice. The baby had been put on a diet of semi-solid food since Friday by the medical board supervising his treatment.

Lokman started getting hiccups soon after his meal. Doctors suspect he had "overeaten" and food particles had got stuck in his trachea primarily due to the lack of muscular co-ordination.

"I don't know what happened. My son had never been given rice before. We brought him all the way from Murshidabad for treatment, and now he is no more," said the shocked mother.

Lokman's hiccups continued at brief...
... intervals. The nurse in attendance was called but couldn't help. The hospital declared him dead at 6 pm.

"All the while he kept smiling," said the grieving mother. At home in Murshidabad, Lokman used to consume 5 litres of milk and 1 kg of boiled rice-flour a day.

LOKMAN'S LAST DAYS

April 17: Lokman's case is reported.

May 9: Parents bring him to SSKM but don't get him admitted

May 17: Parents meet Subhas Chakraborty, who gets Lokman admitted to SSKM Hospital.

May 20: Hospital forms board to diagnose ailment. Medical Board advises semi-solid food for the baby

few days back there was a news report on this baby in ToI mumbai edition which carried his photo. Report said that they were planning a surgery on him! How can he die yaar!!!!! this is news to me

You medical ppl out there: how does the excess adipose tissue interfere with normal digestive function?

HistoRocks said:
You medical ppl out there: how does the excess adipose tissue interfere with normal digestive function?
You get BANNED for asking ridiculous questions like those!!! hahaha jk

i'm not sure actually, long-term fat intake leads to atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, hypertenstion, etc etc. i doubt it affects the digestive system by reducing perfusion significantly :confused:

the baby didnt die from a digestive malfunction. he probably just choked because he didnt have teeth to chew the rice before swallowing.

i think the baby might have had insulin-resistant dm maybe.