Away Rotation in Kolkata-any ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a 4th year med student attending an allopathic school in the US. I was looking to do an international rotation in Kolkata and was looking for input on programs. Basically, I am looking to work somewhere that is medically underserved. I will be entering a residency program in orthopaedic surgery starting next year and would like to do something surgical.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well there are 5 Govt medical colleges in Kolkata n numerous other govt n private tertiary care centers, superficiality clinics, multinational private hospitals. So if your priority is to work in a medically under served area, then you'll have to look for hospitals and health centers around in the suburbs. However, if you do plan to work at a peripheral health center or something, you should be prepared for a real culture/medical shock :|

But if you want to work in Kolkata, then I would suggest Orthopedics dept of my college- NRS Medical College, its like the best ortho dept among the city medical colleges (n I'm not being immodest here. u can cross check this info from students of other med collgs in Kolkata). The patient load here is huge (really huge), you'll get to see a wide range of pathology and the attendings are really good.

I have seen people from Russia and some European countries do electives at our Peds & G&O dept. So I guess u should be able to do the same at the Ortho dept also. However I have no idea about the application procedure. U can check out this university website (which is really crappy) http www thewbuhs org

One thing you can do is get in touch with some faculty from some med collg in kolkata n ask him for some suggestion.

Hope this helps :)

You also need to make sure that the ortho department of the specific hospital has the latest techonology and surgical equipment which would help you gain some worthwhile knowledge during your rotation. Many govt run hospitals are understaffed and overworked where the system functions very differently from the US. I also suggest you'd be better off doing a rotations in hospitals such as Sir Ganga Ram, RML or even AIIMS (if you know people). Patients from all over the country are referred to these hospitals, so you get to see a very wide variety of cases. But yes, these hospitals are based in the capital, which I see isn't your choice of location. Either way, the word "underserved" is a bit ambiguous. Since many cities too when compared to the US, would be underserved.

I believe you started out at SGU and transfered to US MD...correct me if i'm wrong...

Thank you for the input, I will look into the websites you have provided. I have been to Kolkata several times- I don't think it would be much of a culture shock, or so I think.