This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Though it's a bit more "fashion" than business, it's far better than the ultra mini's I have seen lately in interviews.
I have felt embarrassed for the poor creatures. When they stand (after sitting awhile), the skirt hem has risen to show their panties.
Awkward.
So would you suggest a pantsuit just to err on the side of caution?

Members don't see this ad.

okay questions!
1. During the actual interview (sitting down or doing group exericses), do people generally keep their suit blazers on?
2. For a three piece outfit, suit skirt, blazer and a blouse, does the blouse have to be long sleeves or can it have shorter sleeves?
1. Depends on the activity and the temperature.
2. A shell is fine, as long as we don't see your bra (or more) should you remove your jacket.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Depends on the activity and the temperature.
2. A shell is fine, as long as we don't see your bra (or more) should you remove your jacket.

So is it okay to wear something like this on top (something definitely opaque/neutral tone) tucked into a pencil skirt (note the short sleeves)
219B393F-A2CE-4BF9-8416-7FF08348C256.jpeg

So is it okay to wear something like this on top (something definitely opaque/neutral tone) tucked into a pencil skirt (note the short sleeves)
View attachment 280267
The sleeves are fine.
The "V" could go south depending on your body type.

Imagine how I feel. Judgement is a big part of what we are evaluating in the interview.
Someone I used to work for used to think knee length skirts were too short! She’s have a stroke!

Is it usually an automatic R the the skirt is too short?

Someone I used to work for used to think knee length skirts were too short! She’s have a stroke!

Is it usually an automatic R the the skirt is too short?
It's not automatic. It's often inevitable, though (I'm talking underwear visible here).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn SAVAGE to boot people for wardrobe malfunctions. Have a 4.0, a 525, a first-author paper in Cell and have served in the Air Force, interview, get up, and your panties are showing. Boom, chances over.

For an interview, do you think there is anything wrong with nude heels vs a black heel (to be paired with a black skirt and neutral/light blouse plus black blazer)?

See photo (for the style) and nude color on the bottom left corner.
The second photo is a similar style, different shoe.

@DokterMom @gyngyn

Attachments

• B2A3D9D1-A91A-4B47-9D1C-EF5D3495A2A3.jpeg
    B2A3D9D1-A91A-4B47-9D1C-EF5D3495A2A3.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DCE1E554-3038-483E-86BD-A000F8EF9E92.jpeg
    DCE1E554-3038-483E-86BD-A000F8EF9E92.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Also, any thoughts on this skirt please?
Thank you! :)

Attachments

• Eggplant skirt.jpg
    Eggplant skirt.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 108
For an interview, do you think there is anything wrong with nude heels vs a black heel (to be paired with a black skirt and neutral/light blouse plus black blazer)?

See photo (for the style) and nude color on the bottom left corner.
The second photo is a similar style, different shoe.

@DokterMom @gyngyn

If you go with a nude shoe, make sure it's 'nude for you', whatever your skin tone is, which can be a bit tougher to find than you might think. Otherwise, black is a safe choice for either a black, navy or grey suit.

You said black skirt plus black blazer. Please note that this is not the same thing as a black skirt suit, and you really, really need a suit -- that is a jacket and skirt/pants/dress in the exact same fabric.

@gyngyn SAVAGE to boot people for wardrobe malfunctions. Have a 4.0, a 525, a first-author paper in Cell and have served in the Air Force, interview, get up, and your panties are showing. Boom, chances over.

Selecting a skirt that's too short is not a wardrobe malfunction.
It's an error in judgement.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I don't have any questions or much to add, but I wanted to say that I've seen some outfits on interviews these last few weeks... and there are plenty of folks who have not checked this thread, lemme tell y'all.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't have any questions or much to add, but I wanted to say that I've seen some outfits on interviews these last few weeks... and there are plenty of folks who have not checked this thread, lemme tell y'all.
@tinfoilforests Please, for my entertainment, describe some "outfits" you have seen!

@tinfoilforests Please, for my entertainment, describe some "outfits" you have seen!
I'm talking mis-matched suits (I saw a black & white houndstooth blazer with navy slim pants well above the ankle), some of the shiniest and chunkiest "loafers" (they looked like Danskos, honestly) I've ever seen, plenty of skirt suits without hose, and some real interesting jewelry.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm talking mis-matched suits (I saw a black & white houndstooth blazer with navy slim pants well above the ankle), some of the shiniest and chunkiest "loafers" (they looked like Danskos, honestly) I've ever seen, plenty of skirt suits without hose, and some real interesting jewelry.
I've seen turquoise tweed Chanel in place of a suit jacket during my travelso_O

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question! How long would a skirt or dress have to be for it to be considered too long? I ordered a dress that mostly fits nicely but I am on the shorter side and it’s hitting me maybe a little more than two inches past the knees with my heels on. It does seem to hit my knees when I sit though. I am considering tailoring it but wanted to get input first. They unfortunately didn’t have my size in petite, although I was able to get my blazer in petite, and that fits beautifully.

Edit: I actually think I might return this guy. The torso is more of the problem and getting that altered just doesn’t seem worth it in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
Another reminder to everyone to be careful about button downs! I saw a fellow interviewee whose blouse was gapping pretty badly and we could all see a little too much... I felt awful for her.

Another reminder to everyone to be careful about button downs! I saw a fellow interviewee whose blouse was gapping pretty badly and we could all see a little too much... I felt awful for her.
I'm a dude and all, but fashion tape is an inexpensive solution that basically re-opened my wife's wardrobe to button-downs:

Amazon product

However, as a male invading this thread, I will request that those of you who share laundry loads with others remember to remove the fashion tape before laundering your button-down tops. I have encountered it in some... uncomfortable places in my own clothing after taking it out of the dryer.

I agree. I think shells/blouses are the way to go if that’s a concern.

Apologies if this question has been asked many times before already...

So my understanding is that...
Tote bags = BAD
Fancy purses = BAD
Anything big = BAD

Leather binder/folders = OK? (Also why are leather folio things so expensive !? !?! ?! $50-70 )

What about a small tote bag?

And is the bag really important at all? In terms of style etc.
I want something that is not too big but also has straps if Im going to be walking around all day post interview etc

Apologies if this question has been asked many times before already...

So my understanding is that...
Tote bags = BAD
Fancy purses = BAD
Anything big = BAD

Leather binder/folders = OK? (Also why are leather folio things so expensive !? !?! ?! $50-70 )

What about a small tote bag?

And is the bag really important at all? In terms of style etc.
I want something that is not too big but also has straps if Im going to be walking around all day post interview etc
For what it’s worth, I’ve left my bag in the admissions conference room at every interview I’ve done so far. Haven’t carried it anywhere, just have it there under my chair I guess in case I need my emergency floss lol

I was planning on bringing my briefcase to my interviews as my bag, but now I'm seeing that many people are bringing smaller purses instead. Is it okay to bring my briefcase or should I bring a purse instead?
1569328121779.png

For what it’s worth, I’ve left my bag in the admissions conference room at every interview I’ve done so far. Haven’t carried it anywhere, just have it there under my chair I guess in case I need my emergency floss lol

So where do you keep your personal things during the actual interview and tour etc? Pen/phone etc

So where do you keep your personal things during the actual interview and tour etc? Pen/phone etc
Just leave it in the admissions room! You will nottttt need your phone at any point during the interview day, I turn mine off before I even get there. If you need to bring a pen and notes into your interview (with questions for interviewer?) i’d just grab the notes and pen. But I’ve never felt like I needed to bring that with me.

Every interview I’ve been to so far the admissions staff has said ‘this room is your home base, feel free to leave your things in here,’ and all the women at my interviews have done so and left their purses behind for tours and interviews.

• Love
I'm a dude and all, but fashion tape is an inexpensive solution that basically re-opened my wife's wardrobe to button-downs:

Amazon product

However, as a male invading this thread, I will request that those of you who share laundry loads with others remember to remove the fashion tape before laundering your button-down tops. I have encountered it in some... uncomfortable places in my own clothing after taking it out of the dryer.

even easier, a thin camisole under the button front shirt. Either match to your skin shade or to the blouse shade.

I seem to get mixed reactions and hoped someone could help me. I have shoulder length curly hair with black roots and the rest blonde. People have told me to stay conservative and dye it back to black and straighten it for my upcoming interview. As someone who embraces her curls, I find this a little hard. But I also don’t want to leave a terrible first impression and ruin my chance. Help!!!

I seem to get mixed reactions and hoped someone could help me. I have shoulder length curly hair with black roots and the rest blonde. People have told me to stay conservative and dye it back to black and straighten it for my upcoming interview. As someone who embraces her curls, I find this a little hard. But I also don’t want to leave a terrible first impression and ruin my chance. Help!!!
There is no need to straighten curly hair.
Unnatural coloration, on the other hand, should be avoided.

So I currently have a knee injury and I’m using crutches. I’m able to walk (limp) without them but end up in some pain after that. I was thinking of not using them but wearing a knee and ankle brace with flat shoes. Would it be okay not to wear the heels ? I would love some advice

So I currently have a knee injury and I’m using crutches. I’m able to walk (limp) without them but end up in some pain after that. I was thinking of not using them but wearing a knee and ankle brace with flat shoes. Would it be okay not to wear the heels ? I would love some advice

Just dont wear heels, it isnt a requirement and not worth pontentially hurting yourself more.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I wanted to ask a question about my hair. I dyed it way back in May. Now the color has faded back to dark brown, but my natural hair color is black. The brown color isn't unnatrual itself, but you can tell my hair has been dyed because of the new hair growing in. Should I dye my hair black just so everything matches? Thanks :)

I'm not sure about the hair color, but I do think it's generally more professional to have 1 hair
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I wanted to ask a question about my hair. I dyed it way back in May. Now the color has faded back to dark brown, but my natural hair color is black. The brown color isn't unnatrual itself, but you can tell my hair has been dyed because of the new hair growing in. Should I dye my hair black just so everything matches? Thanks :)
Yes.

If you want it brown, do it, but dont leave your roots showing like that

Are either of these OK
(will be with a suit jacket plus suit skirt)
Arms will be covered the entire time

Attachments

• C2076132-E126-42D6-9068-0EF9E7CAB28E.jpeg
    C2076132-E126-42D6-9068-0EF9E7CAB28E.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 60027C02-B100-4504-BE54-9C8A781D3E0F.jpeg
    60027C02-B100-4504-BE54-9C8A781D3E0F.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 199
Are either of these OK
(will be with a suit jacket plus suit skirt)
Arms will be covered the entire time
I think those are both really cute! There's no peephole on either, and they've got a decently high neckline.

• Love
Hey everyone, what's you're thoughts on these heels? Are they too pointy?

Attachments

• 20190925_195615.jpg
    20190925_195615.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20190925_195621.jpg
    20190925_195621.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 135
In regards to hair color, I have platinum hair but my natural color is a medium brown. Roots are well attended to and my eyebrows are naturally a dark blonde so it is my feeling that it looks acceptable. Appropriate or need I dye it?

In regards to hair color, I have platinum hair but my natural color is a medium brown. Roots are well attended to and my eyebrows are naturally a dark blonde so it is my feeling that it looks acceptable. Appropriate or need I dye it?
If it looks fried you might want to dye it back to brown.

Attachments

• 7C809888-74C8-4B83-9D09-E66347C40A23.jpeg
    7C809888-74C8-4B83-9D09-E66347C40A23.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 143