Women or Married Soldiers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wkupredental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into the HPSP for the AF, and I just wanted to hear from someone who went into the military with a spouse - especially female soldiers.

My husband is in pharmacy school right now, so we will both have demanding careers. I think the AF would be a good fit for me, but I'm not so sure that it will be a great fit for my husband's career, as well.

I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement - that this is doable with a family. But any honest feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking into the HPSP for the AF, and I just wanted to hear from someone who went into the military with a spouse - especially female soldiers.

My husband is in pharmacy school right now, so we will both have demanding careers. I think the AF would be a good fit for me, but I'm not so sure that it will be a great fit for my husband's career, as well.

I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement - that this is doable with a family. But any honest feedback is appreciated.

Is your husband also in the AF? The only downside that I've heard of about husbands and wives in the military is that you can't be deployed at the same time, so it's possible that you deploy and as soon as you get back, your husband deploys. My husband is AF and this is why he wouldn't let me do HPSP.

On the other hand, if he is a civilian and a pharmacist, it could work out well for you both. Seeing as pharmacists are in demand everywhere, he could probably secure a job wherever you were stationed.

The AF is a great community...wonderful people, secure job, lots of perks, and the best part...no debt.

Is your husband also in the AF? The only downside that I've heard of about husbands and wives in the military is that you can't be deployed at the same time, so it's possible that you deploy and as soon as you get back, your husband deploys. My husband is AF and this is why he wouldn't let me do HPSP.

On the other hand, if he is a civilian and a pharmacist, it could work out well for you both. Seeing as pharmacists are in demand everywhere, he could probably secure a job wherever you were stationed.

The AF is a great community...wonderful people, secure job, lots of perks, and the best part...no debt.

Despite what you've heard, military couples can deploy at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)

My bad. You're totally right. I guess it's just unlikely deployments will line up and so it's more common you'll be sent away at different times and have more time apart. Not sure how I got it so mixed up, but my husband did say he had heard a lot of bad stories of couples in the AF having a really hard time because of that. Granted, his unit was deployed/TDYed way more than the average.

Anyway, I still stand by my latter statement...the AF is a wonderful community and if you're concerned about paying for d-school, I would definitely go for the scholarship. There are downsides to being married to the military, but I personally would rather deal with those than be heavily in debt. Plus, you get into Seaworld for free :)

For the Army, arrangements can be made for the enlisted soliders. For dental officers, I've heard deployment coordination is not as forgiving. I'll check on this.