All Branch Topic (ABT) HPSP and Marriage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelandteeth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a super specific question that I hope someone can answer.

1.) I am currently applying for the Navy HPSP and Army HPSP.
2.) I also plan to marry my current girlfriend soon who is a South Korean citizen.

Question:
Will marrying her at this time and petitioning for her marriage visa to the U.S. affect my chances in obtaining the scholarship?

Could there be a problem with my background check due to this?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Will marrying her at this time and petitioning for her marriage visa to the U.S. affect my chances in obtaining the scholarship?

No it shouldn't people get married all the time..

Could there be a problem with my background check due to this?

Best advice here is to answer the questionnaire for the security clearance honestly. The Army just caught someone in a similar situation who answered in the negative when asked if they had any contact with a foreign national, or had traveled out of country. It did not work out well for this person or the mate. Seriously, a bunch of bad stuff happened (spouse on the no-fly list, divorce, may be terminated from the HPSP depending on what the CCF/OPM determines) that could have been avoided by the telling the truth.

Thank you for the advice. Now I think I'll postpone the marriage until the scholarship process is finished, just to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found my answer and for anyone with this problem in the future, here is the issue:

Your paperwork and background check must match and if you are in the process of getting married, then it could be different.
However, the biggest problem is that your foreign spouse will need to obtain a Social Security Number before you can officially put it down on the paperwork. Obtaining this will take 3-4 months beyond the process of already obtaining the original visa.