Women in Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DEDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a 22 year old female pre-podiatry student. I took a year off already, I am currently working 9-5 and I will be taking the MCAT in one month in order to apply early on Sep-Oct this year.

I have been with my boyfriend since high school but we are not married nor living together yet, we dont have kids either and we are not planning on having them any time soon. On the other hand, we do plan on having a family in the future and thats why I would like to hear from moms or wifes in Podiatry school. Males who are married to females in Pod school are also welcome to post. I would like to hear things like how old were you when you got married/pregnant, how possible you think is to have a family friendly still good residency or job(maybe part time), if you think that getting pregnant after finishing residency around the 30's is late to start having kids, or having them before is too difficult (I think it is totally doable, but I am interested in knowing how hard it is based on your experience). I have read a lot of forums of moms in medicine but they are all MDs who are usually complaining on how hard is to spend time with their littles ones or how sleep deprive they are but they still love medicine, so I would like to know if it is the same for podiatry.

I do understand podiatry requires a LOT of work and commitment and I am willing to work hard, but I really want to hear from women who are going or went through this experience. If you dont mind please share as much as you can about your schedule, how many hours you work/attend class per week, how much time you spend with your family and if you have time to do your household chores, take your children to school etc. It is important to love your job and be the best profesional you can but I still think family is more important and I will not mind making less money if it is necessary.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a 22 year old female pre-podiatry student. I took a year off already, I am currently working 9-5 and I will be taking the MCAT in one month in order to apply early on Sep-Oct this year.

I have been with my boyfriend since high school but we are not married nor living together yet, we dont have kids either and we are not planning on having them any time soon. On the other hand, we do plan on having a family in the future and thats why I would like to hear from moms or wifes in Podiatry school. Males who are married to females in Pod school are also welcome to post. I would like to hear things like how old were you when you got married/pregnant, how possible you think is to have a family friendly still good residency or job(maybe part time), if you think that getting pregnant after finishing residency around the 30's is late to start having kids, or having them before is too difficult (I think it is totally doable, but I am interested in knowing how hard it is based on your experience). I have read a lot of forums of moms in medicine but they are all MDs who are usually complaining on how hard is to spend time with their littles ones or how sleep deprive they are but they still love medicine, so I would like to know if it is the same for podiatry.

I do understand podiatry requires a LOT of work and commitment and I am willing to work hard, but I really want to hear from women who are going or went through this experience. If you dont mind please share as much as you can about your schedule, how many hours you work/attend class per week, how much time you spend with your family and if you have time to do your household chores, take your children to school etc. It is important to love your job and be the best profesional you can but I still think family is more important and I will not mind making less money if it is necessary.

Thank you :)

I don't have kids or a marriage, but since no one else has responded I'd like to give you my input on this. I came from a similar background, and I also value the balance between family and work life for my future. I can tell you that although it's difficult, based on the female DPMs I know who are married with children, it IS definitely possible. It's my personal opinion that it's more doable than with other career paths once you're done with schooling. The DPMs I have shadowed seem to be more personable and down to earth than other physicians I've shadowed and been in contact with.

One DPM I shadowed during undergrad was one of the top students in her class, and somewhere along the line had time to get married and have three adorable kids. (She's still 'young' too, there's no way she's older than 35-40 right now). Another is an assistant dean who teaches and works at the school clinic, is heavily involved in local podiatric committees, and has two children I believe.

Most of my classmates with spouses and/or children make a schedule for "work" and studying, and then when they come home they are home and do not study, and just spend time with their family. Obviously this varies based on how busy the week is, but eventually everyone finds their own rhythm that works for them.

I know this wasn't the exact answer you were looking for, but just know that it's possible. Going in to podiatry is an excellent decision for work/life balance!

Reactions: 1 users