WMAC: Average GPA and DAT, unsure if I should take a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloethedent

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 3.57
Science GPA: 3.31
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.25
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Taking soon, currently sitting at an AA 20-22 on practice
State of Residence: Pennsylvania

Undergrad Attended:
PSU
Major: Biobehavioral Health
Minor: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Health and Human Development, Biology
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 120 Hours in private practice (general and pediatric), ~1000 hours Dental Assisting
Volunteering Experience: About 100 hours volunteering with/mentoring college aged students with disabilities, 20 hours in a clinic for underserved communities, 20 hours with the Red Cross
Employment: Dental Assistant (about 1000 hours)
Research: 2 different labs, both looking at Human Development and Child Health. First lab about 200 hours, second lab about 60 hours.
Other Extracurriculars: Biobehavioral Health Society Treasurer, Club Swimming, Pre-Dental Society, Penn State THON (largest student run philanthropy in the world) DEI chair, My sorority's DEI committee.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list
LOR type and strength:
Non-science professor (very strong, great relationship), dentist I shadowed with (decently strong), Research lead (okay, could be stronger in my opinion), Biology professor (decent, hard for me with a year being fully virtual), Physics Professor (decent)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got C's in all of my chemistry classes (due to my first year being online and poor mental health in addition to new faculty), but I got A's in all of the labs and have an upward trend in all of my coursework. I did well in all of my other pre-reqs, but I am worried these C's will stick out like a sore thumb. Ideally I would like to apply this year and go to school after graduation, but I'm wondering if a masters/postbacc would help my application be more appealing.
School list:I am not super set on these as I won't be applying until later this year, but this is what I'm thinking so far.
Temple
Pitt
Boston U
Tufts
U of Colorado
UMD
LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say apply early and make a plan in case of rejection. Would be a good idea to show you can do better than C's in difficult science classes. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm...are you planning to apply after the DAT? what date is it?
I'm not planning on applying until next cycle, sorry for the confusion! I'm just trying to figure out what I should plan for in advance

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not planning on applying until next cycle, sorry for the confusion! I'm just trying to figure out what I should plan for in advance
Take more upper div science classes and do well in them to show 1) you can handle tougher courses and 2) to raise your GPAs. And update this once you have your DAT scores. It's really hard to say anything without them.

Reactions: 1 user