Withdrew....now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g40631

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to withdrawing from the match on the last day. This was something I really wanted a couple months ago but other circumstances in my life made me realize it would be more appropriate to withdraw from the match so that a candidate who is more prepared to handle the program, both intellectually as well as mentally (there is a difference), could have the opportunity.

Now here is the question. I feel that I was unprofessional withdrawing on the last day, as the programs of course had spent time discussing me as an applicant. Should I send them a letter of some sort, apologizing that for current personal reasons I did not feel residency is my best option at this point in my life? I also am hesitant to let my preceptors know that I withdrew, they all highly encouraged me.

I feel kind of lost right now :/

Thanks for any advice you may have.....

Members don't see this ad.

I can relate as I withdrew at the last possible minute as well. I'm pretty burned out and the idea of doing a residency does not appeal to me anymore. I decided to take a retail job instead.

I don't think you need to send any sort of letter because withdrawing is an option and someone else will just get the spot instead. I didn't plan on sending a letter to the programs I applied to.

I know what you mean by feeling lost. I question whether I did the right thing. I feel like I may be selling myself short but I am ready to be completely done with school rather than go into residency (which is like school on steroids apparently).

I decided to withdrawing from the match on the last day. This was something I really wanted a couple months ago but other circumstances in my life made me realize it would be more appropriate to withdraw from the match so that a candidate who is more prepared to handle the program, both intellectually as well as mentally (there is a difference), could have the opportunity.

Now here is the question. I feel that I was unprofessional withdrawing on the last day, as the programs of course had spent time discussing me as an applicant. Should I send them a letter of some sort, apologizing that for current personal reasons I did not feel residency is my best option at this point in my life? I also am hesitant to let my preceptors know that I withdrew, they all highly encouraged me.

I feel kind of lost right now :/

Thanks for any advice you may have.....

You don't owe them anything and you were following the rules for withdrawing. Good luck. You at least have honor, which is more than I can say for other people that don't withdraw and then don't go to the program when they match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't send anything.

It is a good choice to withdraw if it is something you really don't want to do. Yes, it sucks to have taken an interview spot from another candidate, but at least you won't be taking an actual resident spot. It is more professional to withdraw than to not like the other thread. I hope your personal issues work out and good luck! You obviously have shown maturity in making the best decision for yourself.

Thanks for the input guys. 2 more questions:

1. The scramble - Let's say in 1.5 weeks I change my mind and there are opportunities available. How does the scramble work? Do I submit my CV/resume to the available sites? Do they have to be sites I interviewed at, or any sites in general?

How successful are candidates who did not match/withdrew but then upon rethinking decided to seek a position anyways?

2. Reapplying next year - Suppose I take a year off, work retail/staff, and decide to reapply for residency. What would be the best way to steer it? Just say that I had some things going on in my life (personal issues I'm currently dealing with) that I felt would inhibit my ability to perform well in a residency, and how I have overcome those issues? Do you feel that I am severely limiting my chances here, or will I have a good chance?

I felt that I was/am a great residency candidate, so this is kind of hard for me to swallow.....

1. The scramble - Let's say in 1.5 weeks I change my mind and there are opportunities available. How does the scramble work? Do I submit my CV/resume to the available sites? Do they have to be sites I interviewed at, or any sites in general?

How successful are candidates who did not match/withdrew but then upon rethinking decided to seek a position anyways?

2. Reapplying next year - Suppose I take a year off, work retail/staff, and decide to reapply for residency. What would be the best way to steer it? Just say that I had some things going on in my life (personal issues I'm currently dealing with) that I felt would inhibit my ability to perform well in a residency, and how I have overcome those issues? Do you feel that I am severely limiting my chances here, or will I have a good chance?

I felt that I was/am a great residency candidate, so this is kind of hard for me to swallow.....

-List comes out for scramble. You can apply because you signed up for match. Call them asap. They will tell you what they want/require.
-If you apply next year --> You took a year off to gain experience to bring to residency. If you are applying to the same programs, I would tell them what was going on. But that's me.

Good luck.

1. Contact programs ASAP with your CV. I know some programs that scrambled last year were contacted by 50 candidates within 24 hours of the Match results.

2. You are definitely NOT impairing your chances! I have a friend who did exactly what you're doing; she had a family situation arise during P4 year that prevented her from doing a residency. A year later, the situation had resolved, she applied for residencies and got into a great program.

Also, you mentioned that you were worried about disappointing your preceptors. Personally, if I had written you an LOR, I would be much more disappointed if you had gone through with the Match and didn't accept the position or if you had started a residency and quit early on. Your preceptors will probably be sad now, but I'm sure they'll understand your situation - especially if it's something that only recently came up.

I took 2 years off and really enjoyed it. Now I'm reapplying for residencies. I found myself better positioned by taking time off then going straight from school to residency. I now know what I want to accomplish.

I also took a couple of years off after pharmacy school and worked as a staff pharmacist with some clinical duties. I am now winding up my PGY-1 residency year and looking forward to the start of my PGY-2 residency (I early committed to the PGY2 at my PGY1 site). Personally, working for a couple of years was the right decision for me - I feel that I am a better resident and I also feel that when it was time for me to apply to residencies I knew exactly what I was looking for (much more so than when I was a student).

Best of luck to you in the scramble or in pursuing a residency down the road!

I took 2 years off and really enjoyed it. Now I'm reapplying for residencies. I found myself better positioned by taking time off then going straight from school to residency. I now know what I want to accomplish.

If you don't mind sharing, what were your reasons for taking 2 years off and what did you do during that time?

We all hear about how hard it is to give up working as a pharmacist and making a salary to go back to residency, but aside for that obvious reason, do you feel at any disadvantage for having time between graduation and applying for residency?

I staffed inpatient by myself doing the graveyard shift after working chain for a year. I felt that I could look up information, but did not know how medicine was actually practiced due to lack of exposure and residency to make more meaningful interventions.
I applied to residencies the first time before I graduated and did not match. I decided to take time off and see if I really wanted to do a residency. I spent the two years doing other thing besides pharmacy. I am really glad I did. I got to do things I never thought I would do and spend time with family.
I see the difference between residency trained pharmacists vs. those who are not...
My career goals have not changed so residency will help with that.
I matched this year. Not sure about the whole transition. But the two years I've had off has made me more confident with inpatient experience and I have a license, which puts me at an advantage compared to graduating students.

Money is important, but I value the learning opportunity and career growth opportunities, which residency helps with.

If you don't mind sharing, what were your reasons for taking 2 years off and what did you do during that time?

We all hear about how hard it is to give up working as a pharmacist and making a salary to go back to residency, but aside for that obvious reason, do you feel at any disadvantage for having time between graduation and applying for residency?