Withdrawn from Ross, where can I transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanic815

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was administratively withdrawn from Ross because I did not pass the Step 1 within 1 year of eligibility. The rule is you are allowed 3 attempts within 1 year of eligibility, but my issue is I only took it twice within 1 year and was withdrawn because I went beyond my 1 year eligibility. I scored 184 and 182 respectively. As a result, I was AW. They advised me to re-apply to the university in order to be sponsored to take the Step 1 for the third time. Unfortunately, they denied my admission, and I do not know where to go from here. I am going to call admissions on Monday in order to see if I can appeal and get a better explanation, but it seems as though I will have to transfer.

My question is what schools can I transfer to and obtain sponsorship for the Step 1? I am hoping that I can just obtain sponsorship to retake the Step 1 and not have to start all over in basic sciences.

I am going to call around to the different Carib schools to get more detailed information, but I wanted to know if anyone could offer any additional info/advice based on personal experiences or from someone they knew that went through a similar situation. Anything would be helpful at this point in time. Thanks to everyone who responds.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you're going to like my response.

As a carib IMG who has failed Step 1 twice and now has been withdrawn from your school, there is a real risk that no matter what you do going forward you may be unable to obtain a US residency spot. Spots even in the less competitive fields are getting tighter. If you fail Step 1 again, many states may refuse to license you in the long run (some states have a "3 strikes" policy for each step). I worry that you may find a school willing to take your money, spend more on the Steps, and then end up with no residency and more debt. So, it's time to take a deep breath and figure out if the risk of proceeding is worth it financially.

If it is, then it sounds like you're doing the right things. Appeal the Ross decision since getting back in there is your best option. Failing that, you're applying to other carb schools that will be a "step down" from Ross and are likely to have less attractive clinical sites. You must pass Step 1 on your next attempt, no matter what your school's policy is. Doing really well on Step 2 will become a vital goal. And you'll need to be happy with one of the less competitive specialties, as your chance of getting EM or GS or Anesthesia or anything more competitive than that will be nil.

Very sorry to hear that you experienced this. I can imagine it was probably devastating to receive those scores.
I think aProgDirector makes a very important point that you have to consider the financial costs of continuing on. The Match is getting increasingly difficult as the years go by, and the Carib/foreign applicants who would have gotten a spot in previous years are running into more problems finding anything. Try to come up with a realistic plan for how you will manage the debt if you are not able to get a residency before deciding to continue on.
I really wish you the best in finding a path that makes you happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I appreciate the responses/feedback. I understand the risks involved, both financially and academically, and I am determined to make it through this. I also understand my residency situation, and how competitive it is for IMG's, even those with passing Step 1 scores the first time around. I understand the seriousness and reality of my situation, but I firmly believe that I can get through this and eventually match. I am very close to passing, and I know that the next time I take the Step 1, I am going to pass and pass with a great score (easier said than done, but I know what I need to do/change, etc). The problem is finding a school that will accept me and sponsor me to take the exam again.

Ross is most probably not going to let me appeal. Even though I went beyond my 1 year eligibility, I sincerely believed that they were going to sponsor me for the third time, but as of now I am AW. So the only realistic choices are to transfer to another school. I have searched this forum and others, but have not found many situations similar to mine. This is why I posted, to get some advice/info from people who have been in a similar situation or knew of others in a similar situation.

I guess the picture will become more clear on Monday, when I get to talk to some different schools. Thanks again for your responses. Im trying to stay positive, but being in unfamiliar territory has made me very anxious to say the least.

I know of an AUC grad who failed the step 2x (maybe 3x) and after he finally passed he matched into psych. So its definitely doable.

You will probably have to transfer to a lower tier school that doesn't care how many times you fail the step. This will also limit the number of states you can practice in... however if I were in the same situation as you, I would be doing what you're doing.

You're already in so deep... might as well tough it out and hope for the best.

Best of luck to you.

You will probably have to transfer to a lower tier school that doesn't care how many times you fail the step. This will also limit the number of states you can practice in... however if I were in the same situation as you, I would be doing what you're doing.

You're already in so deep... might as well tough it out and hope for the best.

I also wish the OP the best of luck. However, I am not sure that I agree with this. It won't be "for the best" if the OP ends up with 50 or 60k more debt and no residency to show for it. It might be better to be some other kind of doctor in the US (doctor of pharm., doctor of PT, doctor of optometry or maybe even a PA...trust me it's not a bad gig). That would be a guaranteed job or career. What the OP is facing is a very very uncertain future.

Yeah if it were me I would do a PharmD or PA. Use that medical knowledge you already have. Both pay really well, I know a PA making 100K and PharmD's make 120ish. Plus side is also no residency! WooHoo!

Hey guys, I was administratively withdrawn from Ross because I did not pass the Step 1 within 1 year of eligibility. The rule is you are allowed 3 attempts within 1 year of eligibility, but my issue is I only took it twice within 1 year and was withdrawn because I went beyond my 1 year eligibility. I scored 184 and 182 respectively. As a result, I was AW. They advised me to re-apply to the university in order to be sponsored to take the Step 1 for the third time. Unfortunately, they denied my admission, and I do not know where to go from here. I am going to call admissions on Monday in order to see if I can appeal and get a better explanation, but it seems as though I will have to transfer.

My question is what schools can I transfer to and obtain sponsorship for the Step 1? I am hoping that I can just obtain sponsorship to retake the Step 1 and not have to start all over in basic sciences.

I am going to call around to the different Carib schools to get more detailed information, but I wanted to know if anyone could offer any additional info/advice based on personal experiences or from someone they knew that went through a similar situation. Anything would be helpful at this point in time. Thanks to everyone who responds.

Hello there,

I just wanted to give you some words of advice from a fellow Ross alumnus. I just wanted to let you know failing Step 1 twice is going to have a serious impact on your residency application down the road. I don't want to discourange you but I have friends who have fallen to the curbside because of struggling with USMLE exams (multiple attempts) and not matching in residency. If you have trouble in Step 1, you will have trouble with Step 2, 3 and later on, board examinations.

I don't mean to discourage you at all. It's just that you have to know what is in store for you. I have a friend who has passed Step 1 on first try, failed Step 2 two times and has sat out TWO cycles without a match and is at home now takin care of his daughter while his wife works. I know another friend who has sat out two cycles as well. Don't let this be you. The longer you sit out, the more attempts on the Steps the harder it will be to get a residency spot. If you continue onwards, you need to pass Step 1 next try or you will be doomed. Some states require a certain number of attempts on Step exams to gain licensure. Also, you need to pass Step 2/3 first time. You don't want to be one of those ppl without a residency position. If you do get to third and fourth year, I recommend you target Family Practice/Internal Medicine Programs with residency programs (where you want to do residency) for your rotations and work hard. This is key. Connections are so important in getting a spot. They may overlook repeats on exams if they like you as a person.

If you transfer, make sure you go to a reputable school. SABA, St George, Ross, AUC seem to be the only reputable schools out there (I've seen or read of students from these programs at residency programs).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I am here to help.

Last edited:
Well, my life is pretty much over. AUC, SABA, MUA said no to transferring. AUA said they would get back to me but it doesnt look good. SMU said to apply and that the Admission committee would determine if any of my credits from RUSM would transfer.

Anyways, thanks to those who responded. Take care.

Hey guys I appreciate the responses/feedback. I understand the risks involved, both financially and academically, and I am determined to make it through this. I also understand my residency situation, and how competitive it is for IMG's, even those with passing Step 1 scores the first time around. I understand the seriousness and reality of my situation, but I firmly believe that I can get through this and eventually match. I am very close to passing, and I know that the next time I take the Step 1, I am going to pass and pass with a great score (easier said than done, but I know what I need to do/change, etc).

Ok, but why is it that you think you can make it through? Being "determined" is a helpful factor but isn't everything. And despite being so determined, you apparently could not make it into a US med school and you have failed step I twice. Did the light go on after the second failure, and now you are determined? Because if nothing else has really changed except for deepening your resolve what makes you think anything will be different next time you take it? To me, failing the first time should have been the tipping point to get you motivated enough to do more than just barely pass it the second time. But it wasn't.

Ok, but why is it that you think you can make it through? Being "determined" is a helpful factor but isn't everything. And despite being so determined, you apparently could not make it into a US med school and you have failed step I twice. Did the light go on after the second failure, and now you are determined? Because if nothing else has really changed except for deepening your resolve what makes you think anything will be different next time you take it? To me, failing the first time should have been the tipping point to get you motivated enough to do more than just barely pass it the second time. But it wasn't.

Thanks for your response. While I was taking the exam both times, I was also dealing with some family issues as well as working. Failing the first time did motivate me enough to pass the second time, and based on my studying and NBME scores, etc I really thought that I had passed. Unfortunately, I did not. Regardless, I have always been determined, but it seems that I have just fallen short.

Sorry to hear that things turned out this way for you. Please do not view this as your life being over though. There are still a lot of options open to you that are very good options (as mentioned, physician assistant might be a viable option, a lucrative in-demand career with reasonable hours, and that's just the beginning). And, of course, there are a lot of people out there who have good lives who never made it into college, let alone med school.

I feel really bad for the OP. I would suggest that there is no point going further into debt. Only if you seriously had issues and you know that it significantly hindered your performance, I would continue.

Yes, it will suck going back home without getting a MD. Yes, it will be frustrating and you will need to get your life back together. Yes, it will be a challange. But dont get depressed. Face the challange and twenty years from now you will be glad you didn't become a physician. It is these challenges that make us unique and offer opportunity for growth and improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Life is not over. If you are that depressed, seriously talk to a good friend, professional counselor or a family member. Medicine is not THAT important. It's really not. There are a ton of helpful, useful careers out there other than medicine. Once upon a time I wanted to be a surgeon and I thought if I wasn't things were going to suck...now I'm an internal medicine doc and things don't suck. Your life isn't going to suck if you don't become a medical doctor. I don't know if you are going to become a medical doctor now. Perhaps (now, with 20/20 hindsight in place), going down the premed/doc path wasn't the right choice. That doesn't mean you weren't determined or didn't try to make the best choice at the time, with the information you had. I'm sure you learned some things along the way that will apply to your life whether or not you become a physician ultimately. You are just at a low point now, but things will get better.

First, I just wanted to say thanks for the support, advice, and honesty. I know I face an uphill battle.

Second, looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Spartan and USESOM both said they would sponsor me to take the Step again, and if I pass they would place me directly into clinicals. AUA said I would have to start in basic sciences, but didnt say what semester, and SMU said I would have to repeat at least one semester (prob the 5th sem). I do not want to repeat any semesters, so I am leaning towards Spartan or USESOM. Being that I am from California, I need to figure out what my options are for getting licensed in other states, as Spartan has been on the disapproved list since 1985, and USESOM doesnt have any clinicals in Cali. But I did read that Spartan just got NY approval (Dec 2009).

Thanks again to everyone who responded, and if you anyone has any info/advice regarding Spartan or USESOM, could you please PM me or post it on here?

Spartan does NOT have a good reputation. Do a google search, and a search of this site, to see some of the problems with that school. The other one I'm not familiar with.

It seems like you'd be better off at SMU or AUA. They probably just want to make sure you pass the Step 1 the next time you take it, so in that sense they are helping maximize your chances of success. All those other 2 said they would do is potentially accept your money and if you somehow pass Step 1 they would let you sign up for clinicals. The value of those particularly clinicals would be in serious doubt, however, I would say. You're only going to be as good of an intern as the instructors/profs in 3rd and 4th year teach you to be, so it is super important to have good clinical rotations.

Spartan does NOT have a good reputation. Do a google search, and a search of this site, to see some of the problems with that school. The other one I'm not familiar with.

It seems like you'd be better off at SMU or AUA. They probably just want to make sure you pass the Step 1 the next time you take it, so in that sense they are helping maximize your chances of success. All those other 2 said they would do is potentially accept your money and if you somehow pass Step 1 they would let you sign up for clinicals. The value of those particularly clinicals would be in serious doubt, however, I would say. You're only going to be as good of an intern as the instructors/profs in 3rd and 4th year teach you to be, so it is super important to have good clinical rotations.

Hey thanks for the post. I researched Spartan, and the majority of the negative press was from years ago, at least what I found anyways. It seems as though the school has new management and feedback from current students is much better because of it. And apparently they also got NY approval in Dec 2009 which should help for clinicals/residency. On paper it sounds ok to me, they have a good match list and clinicals seem good based on the list on their website. But I am still researching, because the negativity surrounding it warrants further review.

USESOM is Sint Eustatius Med school, sorry for abbreviating it. They are a smaller school, and have some pretty good reviews based on what I have read. Good clinicals (greenbook), and a decent match list. But a relatively unknown school.

As far as AUA/SMU, I would prefer these two, but having to repeat anything more than one semester is pointless for me, as I would rather spend that time and money on a Kaplan course to review and pass the Step 1. SMU is viable for me because they said I would probably only have to repeat one semester, and I am assuming it would be there 5th semester, but that is up to the Admission Committee. AUA on the other hand said they dont accept transfers into their 5th semester anymore, and that I would be placed into the basic sciences curriculum, which I am not willing to do. And apparently their wait time for placement in clinicals is lengthy, and even longer if trying to do greenbook.

So as of now I am looking at Spartan, Sint Eustatius and SMU (in no particular order). I am still researching and trying to make a calculated decision. Thanks again for the feedback and info.

Last edited:
also interested in how this will end up

Hey thanks for the post. I researched Spartan, and the majority of the negative press was from years ago, at least what I found anyways. It seems as though the school has new management and feedback from current students is much better because of it. And apparently they also got NY approval in Dec 2009 which should help for clinicals/residency. On paper it sounds ok to me, they have a good match list and clinicals seem good based on the list on their website. But I am still researching, because the negativity surrounding it warrants further review.

USESOM is Sint Eustatius Med school, sorry for abbreviating it. They are a smaller school, and have some pretty good reviews based on what I have read. Good clinicals (greenbook), and a decent match list. But a relatively unknown school.

As far as AUA/SMU, I would prefer these two, but having to repeat anything more than one semester is pointless for me, as I would rather spend that time and money on a Kaplan course to review and pass the Step 1. SMU is viable for me because they said I would probably only have to repeat one semester, and I am assuming it would be there 5th semester, but that is up to the Admission Committee. AUA on the other hand said they dont accept transfers into their 5th semester anymore, and that I would be placed into the basic sciences curriculum, which I am not willing to do. And apparently their wait time for placement in clinicals is lengthy, and even longer if trying to do greenbook.

So as of now I am looking at Spartan, Sint Eustatius and SMU (in no particular order). I am still researching and trying to make a calculated decision. Thanks again for the feedback and info.

I know of some people who were in your same situation, who matriculated to schools in the DR, gritted it out, and later successfully placed into residency.
It can be done.

I would specifically look at schools such as: UNIBE and Universidad Central Del Este (UCE).

hey oceanic815 i hope all is well. i thought ross would prepare students well for step1 exam? wishing you the best!!!

hey oceanic815 i hope all is well. i thought ross would prepare students well for step1 exam? wishing you the best!!!

No, ROSS does not prepare you that well for Step 1. I have a relative who went to ROSS and failed the first time, she got a 180, but she passed the second time.

It's really up to the student and not about the medical institution.

never mind. study hard on your own accord will get you the results :)

Did u try the live kaplan, Pass, or even falcon. failing step 2 twice sometimes u just have to throw in the towel. Try applying DO in the states?

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but it seems like you are big on talk but lack the resolve or understanding for results. You said in previous post that you were determined no matter what to become an MD and that you only needed a chance to pass the Step. Those with experience have told you that you should avoid the schools you are looking to transfer to and your best shot would be AUA or Saba, the schools with the best reputations. But now you say having to repeat a semester, which no matter what you say the results seem to point to the fact that you do need to, is something you are not willing to do. You seem to say all the right things but maybe you need to realize that maybe this is not for you, which there is no shame in and you've tried something that many fail at. What everyone is saying is right, going to one of these suspect schools will most likely end up being a disaster. They are more interested in your money and even if you do pass Step 1 and then 2 and 3, getting a residency is a crap shoot at best.

I also wish the OP the best of luck. However, I am not sure that I agree with this. It won't be "for the best" if the OP ends up with 50 or 60k more debt and no residency to show for it. It might be better to be some other kind of doctor in the US (doctor of pharm., doctor of PT, doctor of optometry or maybe even a PA...trust me it's not a bad gig). That would be a guaranteed job or career. What the OP is facing is a very very uncertain future.

By switching to pharmD or PA isn't he already out 50 or 60k since he wasted two years

By switching to pharmD or PA isn't he already out 50 or 60k since he wasted two years
Yes, definitely. But will not be without the extra 2+ years of tuition he'll spend if he takes another 2+ years in med school but can't find any residency after that.

I disagree. I was 7 weeks from finishing at Ross. I ended up there because of some awful politics in a US school. I had to repeat everything and Ross took all my money. I played the game. I passed Step1, did their rotations, and then I was given a deadline for step2ck. Before the deadline I had three immediate family members hospitalized with life threatening conditions; my mother broke her leg and went into chf and afib; 6 weeks later my father got pneumonia and had to have a thoracentesis; a week later my brother landed in the hospital with a cavernous sinus thrombosis (classic cribiform plate bug). all 3 could have died. I did not sit for my test by the deadline Ross gave me. My window period was through end november, so I took the test the last date in my window period instead. I was withdrawn from Ross 7 weeks before graduation. They could care less about people. For them it is all profit and numbers. Sadly, I do not think your best bet is to appeal and go back there. I certainly will not.

I think your best bet is to move forward and get away from people who are not supportive of you. Life is too short to be around people who make your life hell. You only have one life and no one including a medical school should be dictating where you feet tread.

If you need to talk to someone in a similar situation please feel free to PM me.

As in any bad relationship, MOVE ON. Another door will open and it be better.

I would start with researching each states guidelines. Ross wants people to pass because of the numbers. They want to keep their stats up. I happen to be in a state that gives a person 4 chances to pass Step2ck; that is more times than Ross allows. So I think you will find state medical licensing authorities a little focused on 'maintaining numbers' than a certain schools admin. I know there are some states in the midwest where there is no limit to the number of times you can take step1; as long as you pass eventually.

Once you pass step1, you will need to look at the states guidelines and see how long they give to a person before passing step2ck. I was lucky in that I passed step1 in 2004.

Despite Ross's antics, I knew I was a resident of a state that allowed me to take step2ck again and that had a 7 year deadline. So despite Ross given me a deadline I could not meet (and thus gettin them upset), I just relied on the fact I had support in the community I was in and that my state allowed me more time to take this test.

Perhaps my situation is a little different than yours because I am on step2ck. But still, do not let Ross's focus on numbers and statistics get you down. They are for profit, for reputation, and for increasing their stats. They are not for you. sadly....

I agree. Ross does nothing to prepare you but give you a chance to pay for Kaplan through their institution. and kaplan IMHO is not the best review course out there.

What lower tier school does not care how many times you fail a Step exam? All the older M.D.s in my home state have never heard things about Step exams. They went to school almost like apprenticeships; got hands on experience and took 'improvement' exams.

I have been administratively withdrawn from Ross and need to find a school to sponsor me stateside. I have to pass Step2ck by May 11, 2011.

I emailed the Deans of two state schools; and one returned my email within hours and said "we will look into it'.

I am just so burnt out and so tired.

SMU? As in southern methodist university?
Or St Mary's university?
I need to find a school to sponsor me to take Step2ck again.

SMU? As in southern methodist university?
Or St Mary's university?
I need to find a school to sponsor me to take Step2ck again.

No, SMU as in St Mathews or AUA as in Antigua. Getting into a US school is not even remotely possible for you. I am not sure if AUA, MUA or SMU would, but it is worth a try. If not, move on to the lowest tier such as Windsor or Xavier. Keep on working toward, there have been many success stories after problems with Step.

It is remotely possible in my home state. A dean just contacted me by personal email tonight and is doing what he can. I did fine on step 1 and have a neuroscience degree from a top tier undergrad school (and a publication). I ended up at Ross because of vicious politics.

Wow, that is great news! I would be interested to know what program. It is just a rarity that someone EVER is able to transfer into the US after Caribbean. And I mean rarity for the best of students, straight A's, high Step scores (250+), extracurriculars, connections etc. This has been discussed in length.

I hope you get in, that would be incredible!

Hey OP,

I know everyone in this forum is looking out for your own good with whatever advice they think is best for you. I think you should definately do whatever it takes. It seems like you want to be an MD no matter what the cost. But my advice is dont fool yourself into going to a school thats just out to scam you. You seem like you rationalize everything and that can be dangerous. It looks like your convincing yourself about how great those 2 schools are. In any case, I wish you the best along with everyone else on this thread.

Don't listen to anyone - there are still plenty of options for you!

My advice would be to get into a PA program, finish - and then apply for a loan repayment program through the US Government.

PAs are needed for underserved areas and you can get $200,000 of your debt forgiven if you work 6 years.

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

Try applying to CAHSU, Belize Medical College I can try to assist you and get you in.... I am the Student Affairs Manager at the University..... you just got to try thats all... my email is listed below email me details and I will help!

Enjoy your week,...

yo dont listen to those guys, your good, i was withdrawn from saba and now am studying for step 1 at sesom. its a good choice. :)

A good friend of mine was withdrawn from st lucia, transferred to statia, and matched pediatrics, and many others in a much worse situation than yours, your good

Please update your status. Thank you.

First, I just wanted to say thanks for the support, advice, and honesty. I know I face an uphill battle.

Second, looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Spartan and USESOM both said they would sponsor me to take the Step again, and if I pass they would place me directly into clinicals. AUA said I would have to start in basic sciences, but didnt say what semester, and SMU said I would have to repeat at least one semester (prob the 5th sem). I do not want to repeat any semesters, so I am leaning towards Spartan or USESOM. Being that I am from California, I need to figure out what my options are for getting licensed in other states, as Spartan has been on the disapproved list since 1985, and USESOM doesnt have any clinicals in Cali. But I did read that Spartan just got NY approval (Dec 2009).

Thanks again to everyone who responded, and if you anyone has any info/advice regarding Spartan or USESOM, could you please PM me or post it on here?

P.S. Physician-assistant school, as noted by Slaol, is a good back up plan and, if you decide to go that route, don't waste any more time. Just know that ultimately you won't have the same long-term career earning potential that you would as a physician.

I disagree. I was 7 weeks from finishing at Ross. I ended up there because of some awful politics in a US school. I had to repeat everything and Ross took all my money. I played the game. I passed Step1, did their rotations, and then I was given a deadline for step2ck. Before the deadline I had three immediate family members hospitalized with life threatening conditions; my mother broke her leg and went into chf and afib; 6 weeks later my father got pneumonia and had to have a thoracentesis; a week later my brother landed in the hospital with a cavernous sinus thrombosis (classic cribiform plate bug). all 3 could have died. I did not sit for my test by the deadline Ross gave me. My window period was through end november, so I took the test the last date in my window period instead. I was withdrawn from Ross 7 weeks before graduation. They could care less about people. For them it is all profit and numbers. Sadly, I do not think your best bet is to appeal and go back there. I certainly will not.

I think your best bet is to move forward and get away from people who are not supportive of you. Life is too short to be around people who make your life hell. You only have one life and no one including a medical school should be dictating where you feet tread.

If you need to talk to someone in a similar situation please feel free to PM me.

As in any bad relationship, MOVE ON. Another door will open and it be better.

I agree with you completely about Ross and its relationship with its students. Unless your in the situation students don't really know just how much Ross could care less about you. I lost a parent and I had to learn the hard way that Ross doesn't have any accommodations for these types of situations. I was told that I had to put my grief on hold and that I'm not the only one. Exact words said to me folks, not kidding. Ever since, I've done things my way and doing what it takes to get outta Ross's grasp. The only thing pushing me forward is God, without Him don't know how I wood have made it. Luckily, (I don't know if that's an appropriate word) this happened while I was still in the basic sciences, so the worst that happened was me repeating. I think its terrible, with Ross knowing whats at stake that they wood not allow you to finish. But as sad as it is, it doesn't surprise me. I'm terrified of the amount of control Ross has and little they care. That's a bad combo and I just want out of here as soon as possible. At one point Ross made me reconsider my career choice but I know this is what I've always wanted to do. The book work is fine, I'll do whatever it takes, its Ross's ridiculous time crunch, lack of care for its students or its retention rate for its students that drives me nuts. You wood think since they know the school is so ridiculous they could at least pretend to care for our well being.

Reactions: 1 user

I really would consider SMU or AUA. SMU and AUA may not be top-tier, but they have better reputations than Spartan any day. If you're really determined to do well on Step 1 next time, then I think repeating a semester or doing the basic sciences curriculum over may actually be a good idea, since you will be better prepared for the exam next time. Since you failed Step 1 twice, getting a residency or state licensure is already going to be an uphill battle for you. I think that if you went to some place like Spartan, even if you passed the Step 1 the next time, your chances of getting a residency spot would be next to zero. Even grads from more reputable Caribbean schools like SGU or Ross have to deal with the stigma against Caribbean grads when it comes time to apply for residency. It would be even worse for a graduate of some lower-tier Caribbean school like Spartan.