Withdrawing from postbacc program's impact on applying to caribeean med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglesfan2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation. So from last August to December I was in Drexel Med's IMS program (its a postbacc program where students take some of the same medical classes as the drexel's 1st year med students take). However I was doing poorly in it and had to withdraw from the program, meaning no grades were assigned to me after the end of the semester since I withdrew from the entire program. I am currently applying to caribeean medical schools. On the application, I didnt mention that I was enrolled in the postbacc program from Sept to December since I withdrew it and have no grades for it. Also, it would look really bad if mentioned that in the application that I was in that program and withdrew. Do caribeean schools have any way of finding out about it?

Any help or comment would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if you have a pulse and a bank account you're good to go. Sometimes the pulse is unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, Drizzt's serious and I doubt he's wrong.

I personally know of certain individuals who have been accepted into Caribbean medical school with only a semester of organic chemistry, physics and biology.

It depends on which caribbean medical school you are applying to. If you apply to SGU or Ross, you are going to be competing against more qualified candidates because most of these students have ok stats but failed to make the cut at US med schools bc of how competitive entry is. If you apply to the lesser known med schools in the caribbean, I think it would not matter. Regardless, take a shot either way and apply to the top caribbean schools like SGU and Ross because those are the ones that you have the best shot at securing clinical rotations in the US as well as a residency because they have better reputations with hospitals and doctors in general.

As Drizzt and Jslo said - all you need for the Carib is $$$$

On a diff note, if you failed out whilst taking medical school classes - shouldnt that be a big red flag that maybe this isn't for you?
If you go to the Carib for 2 years, and they dont allow you to sit the boards - then you are out $100k and are still no closer to being a doctor.

i have applied to sgu, ross, auc, aua, and saba (only these...they have good reputation). the thing is I withdrew because I was doing bad for personal reasons...I can and am ready to handle the classes now. my question is when you apply to caribeean schools do they do a check on you...history of all schools you attended...i am asking this because I didnt mention on my application that I was in postbacc program (because I withdrew from it), will the schools I apply to have a way to find that out?

You should just tell them about it - lying or concealing things in an application is never good.
If a US school found about it, then you'd be kicked out and prevented from re-enrolling at any other school.

If it was legit for personal reasons, you should tell them about it and explain the personal reaons

but i think if i had wrote that on my application, it would look bad...because they would just think that if i did bad in the postbacc program (taking 1st year med school classes), then i would def do bad in the basics science programs...and since i withdrew from the program, there is no grades assigned after the semester...so would it really make any difference other than harm my chances for caribeean schools?

but anyway, i already submitted my applications and didnt mention anything about it because I didnt think it would help my chances of getting in...do they have any way of finding out?
b/c i only sent the transcript from my undergrad institute

It does look bad - no way around that

I'm not sure what clearing boards or systems that the caribs use - so no idea if they can find out or not

You should have told them either way - its demonstrating questionable ethics otherwise

have you tried begging Drexel for another chance next year? Perhaps taking some sciences courses there as a special student and if you do well, auto entrance back into their program?

actually drexel said i can come back into the program next year...but i dont want to go through this program because my chances of getting into us schools is slim even after completing that masters program...so i decided to just apply to Caribbean schools and not spending money doing the postbacc

actually drexel said i can come back into the program next year...but i dont want to go through this program because my chances of getting into us schools is slim even after completing that masters program...so i decided to just apply to Caribbean schools and not spending money doing the postbacc

Sounds like you need to think this through more clearly....my young padawan

I'm pretty sure the Caribbean schools would be more than happy to take your money. Honestly, I think you're just wasting your time and money though.