Withdrawing from ERAS and applying different specialty next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonFreeman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
M4 just finished interviewing for internal medicine and making a rank list. I had a difficult time choosing a specialty before submitting application. I was going back and forth about anesthesiology and internal medicine for while and I thought I made peace with my decision but I continue to have some doubts. During my conversation with my dean, I was told that I can change specialties during residency but it seems like process is cumbersome and options are going to be limited. I ruled out anesthesiology based on two weeks elective during surgery rotation and in hindsight, I should have tried a formal rotation in different institution (our school doesn't have residency). My concern is that I haven't really planned anything rest of the year and there isn't a good reason to explain my year off in education other than indecisiveness. Any advice?

I am in middle class rank step 1/2 240s/230s, no red flags.

Members don't see this ad.

So do you have another specialty in mind? If not, what are your reservations for internal medicine?

M4 just finished interviewing for internal medicine and making a rank list. I had a difficult time choosing a specialty before submitting application. I was going back and forth about anesthesiology and internal medicine for while and I thought I made peace with my decision but I continue to have some doubts. During my conversation with my dean, I was told that I can change specialties during residency but it seems like process is cumbersome and options are going to be limited. I ruled out anesthesiology based on two weeks elective during surgery rotation and in hindsight, I should have tried a formal rotation in different institution (our school doesn't have residency). My concern is that I haven't really planned anything rest of the year and there isn't a good reason to explain my year off in education other than indecisiveness. Any advice?

I am in middle class rank step 1/2 240s/230s, no red flags.
do the intern year in IM, since for some Anesthesia programs you would need it anyway.

can you still do a formal anesthesia rotation now? Mostly to let you know if anesthesia is really what you want or if this is just cold feet.

yes, its possible to change, but certainly an uphill battle...

Reactions: 1 users