Withdrawing after putting down a Deposit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamletginger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have to put down a deposit at school A because you will not hear from school B for a 2 months, would there be negative consequences if you decided to withdraw and give up your deposit? I am assuming that asking for a 2 month extension will not work.

If you do ask for an extension ( for any given time period) and a school wants a reason, will they ask about what school in particular? Does it make sense to tell them what other schools you are waiting for?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same predicament. The only downside I'm seeing right now is losing the $1000 with school A if school B opens up :(.

But... in the long run, school B is about 1/2 the cost of school A, so it may be worth it if I get in! (we're talking 100,000 private out of state vs 50,000 instate total tuition here!)

Is it even worth it to ask for an extension, for longer than a few weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ask for an extension. This situation happens all the time every year, and schools won't make an exception for anyone. That's the reason schools make the deposit so expensive, because they want to know that people, or most people at least, accepting the offer are serious about attending. There are students at every school who initially put down a deposit and then withdraw it later for various reasons. The school will not look at this negatively, they understand that things come up and that people apply to multiple places. This happened to me last year when I found out in the middle of July that I got accepted off the waitlist somewhere. I know it sucks having to pay so much... 1000 bucks isn't exactly pocket change! But it's better to just suck it up and pay it and have the security of having a spot somewhere.

Suppose you have to put down two deposits at A and B, while waiting for a top choice, C. Will school A know that you put a deposit on school B and vice versa? Will the schools care as long as you make a decision in a timely manner? Some schools do not give replies until February or later.

I was just offered a spot at a school w/ a $1000 deposit-my choice C. (YEAH!!) Think it best to go ahead and hold the seat. (if I withdraw they refund 90% - if I am reading my letter correctly) I am also waiting for a school in state (choice A) after AU review and decision, and am on waitlist for another (choice B). I may even consider paying the deposit for schools A and C and wait on the B because i could live at home if offer made at B. The money saved living at home would be well worth it. But I am not going to chance NOT paying the deposit ..... and not have a place for PT school. "A bird in the hand......" I also considered asking for an extension..........due to spring tuition, books due, etc and I would like to tour the school first. But willing to suck it up to secure a seat and my future!!!

I would never tell one school that I was waiting to hear from another before I decide.....maybe ask for extension due to lack of available funds....or offer to pay 1/2 now 1/2 in a couple more weeks.....have't seen anyone on the forum say they were able to get an extension....

---HAMLETGINGER-----
REGARDING acceptances: (PTCAS 2011-12 cycle manual)
Shared Acceptance Reports in Spring 2012
All PTCAS programs agree to share information with each other regarding actions OFFERS MADE and OFFERS ACCEPTED. Institutions have access to their applicants' acceptance status at other institutions if the following conditions are met:
1. The institution has reported its own final admission decision for the applicant to PTCAS, and
2. The institution shares the applicant with another PTCAS institution in which an offer of admission was made or an offer of admission was accepted.
OFFERS MADE AND OFFERS ACCEPTED REPORTS
Beginning in
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]March 2012, ..PTCAS reports the number of "Offers Made" and "Offers Accepted", but does not report the identity of the competing institutions. Participating programs do not know at that time how many applications an applicant has submitted, whether the applicant was denied admission to another PT program, or any other admission actions.

I got an extension on my acceptance from a top 5 DPT prgm. It just depends on what your situation is and if the school has offered you an acceptance then they obviously want you, so they will try to accomodate you as well.