Withdrawing after Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpdoc2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For personal reasons I may have to withdraw after matching. What are the consequences if I withdraw from an advanced (PGY-2) position after matching? Just to clarify I will not be accepting another PGY-2 position after withdrawing from the one who accepts me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its no longer called "withdrawing".

Its called "violating your match contract."

When you submit a ROL through the NRMP, you are agreeing to participate in the match and to accept the match results. You are expected to fulfill your contractual duties.

Except in the most eggregious events (ie, fraud by the program) or other serious reasons by you, the NRMP does not approve breaking your match contract. Without approval you are barred from participating in the match for 3 years (I believe).

If you know you will not be able to fulfill your match contract, it is better to withdraw (ie, remove your application before the match).

I thought it's a match violation if you accept a prematch, not if you withdraw after matching. Are you sure about this?

I thought it's a match violation if you accept a prematch, not if you withdraw after matching. Are you sure about this?

Yes. I am absolutely sure.

Your match contract is binding and "withdrawing" after you have been matched is a match violation. Read this and this.

A prematch is only a violation if you are not an independent candidate. Not relevant here.

Thank you this was very helpful.

you can ask for a match "waiver" to get our of your matched position and not sustain a penalty

Policy

It is the policy of the NRMP to require each match participant to enter into an NRMP Match Participation Agreement and for the NRMP to conduct a review of all waiver requests submitted by participants. Under the terms of the Agreement signed by all Match participants, the listing of an applicant by a program on its certified rank order list or of a program by an applicant on the applicant's certified rank order list establishes a binding commitment to offer or to accept an appointment if a match results and to begin training on the date specified in the appointment contract. The binding commitment may be released only through the procedures set forth in this policy.
The NRMP reserves the right to grant to an applicant or a program a waiver of the binding commitment; applicants and programs are not authorized to release each other from their binding match commitment. The determination to grant or deny a waiver request lies in the sole discretion of the NRMP and is not subject to arbitration.
A. Request for Waiver
  1. Applicants, program directors, or institutional officials may contact the NRMP to request a waiver. The NRMP will not initiate a waiver review until it has received a written or electronic request. The request must include the name(s) of the matched applicant(s) and program(s).
  2. Waiver requests must be sent in writing to:
Mona M. Signer, Executive Director
National Resident Matching Program
2450 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20037-1127
FAX (202) 828-4797
[email protected]
B. Confirmation and Examination Procedures
Following receipt of the waiver request, the NRMP will ask the requestor to confirm in writing that he/she/it wishes the NRMP to process the waiver. After receiving written confirmation, the NRMP will contact the party or parties (applicant, program director, and/or institutional official) identified in the request and any other person(s) with knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the request. All parties contacted will be asked to provide the NRMP with a written statement within five business days from the date of the NRMP's request.
  1. All waiver requests will receive a full examination and evaluation by the NRMP. The NRMP is authorized to contact other individuals/institutions in the course of acquiring information
  2. Applicants who have matched to a program shall not discuss, interview for, or accept a concurrent year position in another program prior to the NRMP issuing its decision as to whether to grant the requested waiver. In addition, programs shall not discuss, interview for, or offer the position to any other candidate until either: (a) the matched applicant has informed the NRMP that he/she will not accept the matched position if/when the NRMP denies the waiver and the program has been so notified by the NRMP; or (b) the NRMP grants the waiver.
  3. An applicant or program may request a waiver if he/she/it believes the fulfillment of the commitment to the results of the Matching Program would cause serious and extreme hardship. The burden shall be on the requestor to demonstrate serious and extreme hardship. For purposes of the waiver process, the term serious and extreme hardship means the significant adversity that honoring the match would bear upon the requestor's case.
  4. An applicant who matched to an advanced or fellowship position also may request a waiver if he/she has elected to change specialties, provided the waiver is requested no later than the January 15 prior to the start of training in the advanced or fellowship program.
  5. If at any time during the course of a waiver review the applicant or program notifies the NRMP in writing that he/she/it will not honor the match commitment if the waiver is denied, the NRMP may grant an immediate waiver to the other party.
C. Consequences of Waiver Review Process
  1. At the conclusion of the examination and evaluation, the NRMP will decide whether to grant or deny the waiver request. a. If a waiver is granted, the matched applicant may accept another position or participate in future matches, and the NRMP will not pursue the matter as a violation of the Match Participation Agreement signed during registration. In addition, the matched program will be free to recruit another candidate for the vacant position.
    b. If a waiver is not granted, the matched applicant and program will be expected to honor the match commitment. Both parties will have five business days from receipt of the NRMP's decision to inform the NRMP whether the applicant will begin training in the program. Failure to honor the match commitment is a breach of the Match Participation Agreement and grounds for a violation investigation. All investigations are conducted in accordance with the Policies and Procedures for Reporting, Investigation, and Disposition of Violations of NRMP Agreements. The NRMP recommends that each applicant and program read that document carefully.
  2. If a waiver is not granted and the applicant does not agree to honor the match commitment, he/she may be barred from accepting a position in any program sponsored by an institution that participates in the Matching Program if the position has a start date within one year from the date of the NRMP's final decision to deny the waiver. Further, an institution that participates in the Matching Program is prohibited from offering a position in any program sponsored by the institution, regardless of Matching Program participation status, to any applicant who is ineligible to accept a position as the result of a denied waiver. Programs shall not discuss, interview for, or offer an applicant any potential position unless the program has first determined that the applicant is eligible for appointment. Programs shall determine the applicant's eligibility by verifying the applicant's match status in the Applicant Match History that is available in the Match Site and/or by calling the NRMP to obtain that information. If any of the programs sponsored by the institution discusses, interviews for, or offers a position to that applicant to commence training during the one-year period or if the applicant accepts such a position, the NRMP will initiate an investigation to determine whether the applicant, the program, or the institution has violated the terms of the Match Agreement.
  3. If a waiver is not granted and the applicant does not agree to honor the match commitment, the applicant may be subject to a violation investigation for failure to honor his/her binding match commitment. As a consequence of a confirmed violation, the applicant may be:
    (1) barred from future NRMP matches for a period of one to three years or permanently, as determined by the NRMP.
    (2) identified as a match violator to participating programs for a period of one to three years or permanently, as determined by the NRMP.
    (3) barred from accepting or starting a position in another NRMP match-participating program that has a start date within one year from the date of the NRMP's issuance of the Final Report of the investigation.
    In addition, the applicant's medical school will be notified of the confirmed violation, with a request that it become a part of the applicant's permanent file.
  4. If a program is denied a waiver of its match commitment by the NRMP and does not agree to offer the matched position to the matched applicant, the program may be subject to a violation investigation for failure to honor its binding match commitment. As a consequence of a confirmed violation, the program may be:
    (1) barred from future NRMP matches for one to three years or permanently, as determined by the NRMP.
    (2) identified as a match violator to participating applicants for one to three years or permanently, as determined by the NRMP
    In addition, the NRMP will notify the ACGME and appropriate residency review committee and the program director association.
  5. If any program sponsored by an institution that participates in the Matching Program, regardless of the program's Matching Program participation status, offers a position to an applicant who has matched to a concurrent year position and who has not been granted a waiver by the NRMP, the institution may be subject to a violation investigation for failure to comply with the Participation Agreement.
D. Reconsideration of Initial NRMP Decision
A party whose request for a waiver has been denied may request reconsideration of the determination. The party will have five business days from receipt of the initial adverse decision to request reconsideration. The request for reconsideration should state the basis for reconsideration and explain why the initial decision of the NRMP is unreasonable under the circumstances. The decision following reconsideration is final and not subject to arbitration.
Upon completion of the reconsideration process, if any, the NRMP will issue a letter indicating the final decision regarding the waiver request. Unless otherwise determined by the NRMP, the effective date of the final decision will be the date of the letter that transmits the final decision to the party(ies).
E. Match Violations
If the NRMP initiates a violation investigation to determine whether an applicant or program has violated the terms of the Match Participation Agreement, the investigation and any confirmed violation will be handled in accordance with the terms of the relevant Agreement and the NRMP Policies and Procedures for Reporting, Investigation, and Disposition of Violations of NRMP Agreements.

The OP may ask for a waiver but since he/she hasn't even matched, it doesn't make sense as he or she should just withdraw since it appears that they are not going to/be able to honor that commitment.

Waivers are not often given, BTW.

If the NRMP learns that you knew this was going to be a problem before the match, it will be a violation and they won't give you a waiver.

Where things get tricky is if you don't really know. Perhaps you plan to match, and then your spouse is applying for grad school. Perhaps he/she doesn't get into a grad school near where your PGY-2 match is. You might get a waiver -- and probably would since this wasn't something "guaranteed to happen". If you do get a waiver, you can't pursue that specialty any more.

I have a question. If you left a lets say a several year program after starting at that program and honored your match agreement, would you have to go through this process? In other words, is the match agreement an agreement for the remaining of all the years of your training. Do people who switch specialties go through this process is I guess what I am asking?

I have a question. If you left a lets say a several year program after starting at that program and honored your match agreement, would you have to go through this process? In other words, is the match agreement an agreement for the remaining of all the years of your training. Do people who switch specialties go through this process is I guess what I am asking?

No.

The Match contract is only for a maximum of one year. If, during your intern year, you decide to switch programs or switch specialties, you would just go through the Match again, or try to work out an agreement with another program. But you wouldn't be in violation.

No.

The Match contract is only for a maximum of one year. If, during your intern year, you decide to switch programs or switch specialties, you would just go through the Match again, or try to work out an agreement with another program. But you wouldn't be in violation.

Actually, all the Match contract says is that you will show up to work at that program.

If you show up on July 1, tell your PD to suck it and resign that day, you will not be in violation of the Match. You will be in violation of the employment contract you signed after the Match, and you will be unlikely to ever get another residency in anything. But as far as NRMP is concerned, everything is copacetic.

No.

Okay, just to clarify. Let's say you match at an intern year somwhere and an advanced position somewhere else through the nrmp match. You decide that the place you match for your advanced position is not the place you want to be. Would it be against NRMP rules if you apply again (the same specialty) in your intern year for another program for your advanced years? If not, Would you be able to go through the match again or would you have to sign with the other program outside of the match?

Okay, just to clarify. Let's say you match at an intern year somwhere and an advanced position somewhere else through the nrmp match. You decide that the place you match for your advanced position is not the place you want to be. Would it be against NRMP rules if you apply again (the same specialty) in your intern year for another program for your advanced years? If not, Would you be able to go through the match again or would you have to sign with the other program outside of the match?

Yes, this is against Match rules and you can not do this.

When you match Prelim+Advanced, you are a party to Match agreements with both programs. You have not fulfilled your Match agreement with the advanced program until you show up to work there.

Yes, this is against Match rules and you can not do this.

When you match Prelim+Advanced, you are a party to Match agreements with both programs. You have not fulfilled your Match agreement with the advanced program until you show up to work there.

I have seen people do this before however, most of the time they are actually switching specialties. I don't know how they were able to do this or what repercussions they faced? Do you know what are the consequences if you were to do this?

I have seen people do this before however, most of the time they are actually switching specialties. I don't know how they were able to do this or what repercussions they faced? Do you know what are the consequences if you were to do this?

Assuming you can get your advanced program to release you from your contract and get a Match waiver from NRMP (you technically need both) then you'll be fine. Violating a Match agreement is a good way to never get to go through the Match again (fellowship or 2nd residency).

If someone is switching specialties (like staying in IM or GS after a prelim year instead of going on to Gas or Rads), it's easier to get a program to release you than it is to switch from one advanced specialty to another (like Gas to Rads or whatever).

But that's not what shaz8901 asked about. S/he asked, "if I match to a Rads program in bumblefrack Tennessee but get an offer from the Rads program at the hospital in LA where I'm doing my prelim year, can I just take that spot instead?" That's the question I was answering.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to mention that programs can get into trouble for even discussing an advanced position with you before you obtain a waiver of your match agreement to another program.

I can't imagine a situation where it's NOT in your best interest to suck it up and honor your commitment to the advanced program, and seek to transfer programs or fields the following year. Even if you weren't obligated by the match to do so. In the end, your reputation is all you have.

Actually, if you change your mind about what specialty you are interested in, you can automatically get a match waiver as long as you ask for it before January 15th (of your PGY-1 year). You do not need to be "released" by your advanced match -- once you ask for the waiver you're done. Of note, you can only apply for a different specialty, it would create a "gap" year, and those programs may worry that you will again change your mind.

Then...May you explain to me how students swap between each other from different cities ?

Thanks in advance

what if you matched into a categorical program and you want to go somewhere else after the intern year for simple reasons- you dont like the program. do you still have to get a letter of waiver if you want to enter the NRMP match for PGY2 someplace else, does Jan15th date still apply and what/where do you apply for a waiver? is there a link, some sort of application you need to fill out or letter to send to NRMP or does your PD have to do it?
thanks a bunch, i hope someone more informed will give me some answer soon..sounds like i need to hurry up!

no of course you don't (would your program get a waiver from the NRMP if they wanted to fire you?). however you will almost certainly need a LoR from your current PD and most programs wont consider you unless your PD knows you are applying which can be problematic.

no of course you don't (would your program get a waiver from the NRMP if they wanted to fire you?). however you will almost certainly need a LoR from your current PD and most programs wont consider you unless your PD knows you are applying which can be problematic.
And you'd have a gap year.