Medical With a sub 3.0 GPA, How can I get into medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my back story:

I went to Seton Hall U for 77 credits, with a total GPA of 2.79
I am now 40 credits into my new university with a GPA of 2.944
Gen Bio I: C+
Ge Bio II: C+ (took a pass (taken during beginning of COVID)
Gen Chem I: C+
Gen Chem II: C
Calculus I: A-
Calculus II: C
Orgo I: A
Orgo II: B
Gen Biochem I: C
Gen Biochem II: C (took a pass (taken during beginning of COVID)
Physics I: C (took a pass (taken during beginning of COVID)
Physics II: C (took a pass (taken during beginning of COVID)

I am graduating this May 2021, and I believe that if I do well enough I can pull my GPA up to a 3.1, maybe even a 3.2. I am taking the GRE this December.
Being a doctor is my dream since I was a kid. I always blamed my shortcomings on the difficulties I have experienced but after a lot of reflecting during the virus, I know that this is what I want and I know that I need to change my habits. I know now that I cannot blame my shortcomings on my "difficult life" because life will always be difficult.
Please someone tell me how I can get into an SMP/medical school, and where I could apply!

Here is where I am applying to for SMP's:
Rutgers
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel

Here are some science electives that I won't know will count
Plant Science: A
A&P I: B+
A&P II: C-
What i see are consistent C's in your prerequisites. If it has been your dream, or doesn't show with these grades. I think you need a complete reinvention, @Goro . Your best bet could be starting over after a few years of working or doing something else.

Members don't see this ad.

With those grades in prereqs, it’s clear that your science base is most likely not strong. Even if you do a post-bac/SMP you are going to need a strong performance on your MCAT which, at this point, I am not AT ALL confident that you would score near what you need to be accepted. If this was your dream for years, why did you not take your courses seriously?

We are just trying to give you solid advice so telling you it’s gonna be easy for you to get in if you do an SMP etc is sugar coating things. You’re really gonna have to think about how bad you want this and restart your courses cause C in nearly every science prerequisite is not gonna fly.

its not that I didn’t take them seriously. My freshman and sophomore year, I had multiple very close friends pass away suddenly, a close aunt. My junior and currently, Because I am the only English speaking member of my family, I am caught in the middle of divorce and drama in the family, my parents went broke, immigration, etc. I was really distracted by all of this and to cope with my losses I just slept a lot and barely studied. I just kept waiting for my problems to end. I am fully aware now that these problems come and if I keep allowing myself to be lazy because of my problems then I’ll be lazy forever. I am doing a lot better now with B+ and A’s in all of my science classes. I promise I am not dumb I was just emotionally naive.

I never once said you were dumb and I understand that you may have had hardships along the way, but now you are placed in a tough place.

Like said above, I would look into Goros reinvention.

its not that I didn’t take them seriously. My freshman and sophomore year, I had multiple very close friends pass away suddenly, a close aunt. My junior and currently, Because I am the only English speaking member of my family, I am caught in the middle of divorce and drama in the family, my parents went broke, immigration, etc. I was really distracted by all of this and to cope with my losses I just slept a lot and barely studied. I just kept waiting for my problems to end. I am fully aware now that these problems come and if I keep allowing myself to be lazy because of my problems then I’ll be lazy forever. I am doing a lot better now with B+ and A’s in all of my science classes. I promise I am not dumb I was just emotionally naive.

I am not an Adcom.

The damage done already with the GPAs will be very difficult/impossible to overcome.
If grade-replacement were still a thing, you had a shot at DO programs, but unfortunately, that is no longer an option.
If you don't care about the title and still like/want/have the passion to help patients, look into other healthcare professions.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.