wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asm3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has heard anything about wisconsin's program...how competitive, malignant, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

i have not heard that it's malignant. i asked my advisor to rank 5 programs for me (pitt, michigan, case, wisconsin, tulane), and she ranked wisconsin third, so it's not that bad of program being a state school. the only drawback i can think of is being in madison where diversity of patient population is not that great (well, neither is ann arbor, for that matter).

if you find out anything, please share.

-S.

thanks for that info. i have mostly heard that the program isn't malignant, pretty non-competitive to get into, and pretty arrogant about their stature. i think generally it is a relatively nice program if you don't mind living in madison, wi. Hearing from past graduates of the program who go on to practice in larger cities (and that's not many people), they have little to no exposure to the african american population while in madison.

Members don't see this ad :)
The program is not malignant, probably intermediate in terms of work hours. Good exposure to a wide variety of illnesses, people come from all over the state (and northern Illinois) and are referred for tertiary care.

Most of the residents actually do go to larger cities for fellowship and some choose to stay there (your info is not correct). A percentage of residents do choose to stay in Madison because it is such a great town. Strongest departments are gastroenterology and heme/onc. It is a research institution and there are plenty of cutting edge studies going on at any one time which residents can get involved with. The residents get a subspecialty clinic for one half day a week in 2nd and 3rd years in addition to their primary clinic. While this causes some headaches on the wards, most agree that this long term exposure with your own patients in a specialty is much better than a continuous month of GI or cardiology clinic.

I agree that the African American population is not huge, but still probably about 10-20% of the patient load. Definitely not non-existent.

As for the arrogant statement, I'd have to say there are a few attendings that seem so, but most are nothing of the sort.

As for competitiveness, I'm not sure, probably one step below the top programs. Several of the residents I know ranked the program higher than many higher ranked programs (Brigham, Duke, Emory, etc).

Madison has been voted in many sources as one of the best places to live. Its a smaller city (200,000 population), but is very liberal and seems larger than its size (due to college and state capitol). Very safe, lot of outdoor activities, beautiful lakes, a wider variety of restaurants than some bigger cities (on state street there is a nepali, East African, Turkish, Afghani, Indian, and many other cuisines available). After all is said and done, it is still a relatively small town.

Good luck.

While I can't say much for the IM program itself, I can say that the city is a great place to live. Madison has a youger active population with lots to do. From outdoors, to clubs, to music scenes, you'll never find yourself searching for things to spend what little free time you have. There is a black population in Madison, but its definitely not inner city. The city is very affordable and a very safe place to live.