Applying for a Wisconsin medical license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytoidbody

Reaction score
I'm in my last year of residency in Michigan, preparing to register for the boards. This requires that I be in the process of applying for my real, unrestricted medical license in the state in which I plan to do fellowship. When using the "LicensE" system to apply for my medical license, it gives us five options:

Special Permit
Applicant granted a unique permit under a special circumstance, i.e., locum tenens.

Act 10
This license can be issued to a provider from another state during a national public health emergency. This license can also be issued to providers who are licensed in good standing in another state who also apply for a permanent license at the same time.

Training License
Applicant becomes licensed under supervision of a professional in their field in order to gain experience to qualify for a full license.

Licensure by Endorsement
Applicant is granted a license by virtue of recommendation by professional organization or institution (i.e. members of a Medical Compact), Applicants who hold an active license in another state.

Renewal After 5 Years
Applicant reapplies after any licensure lapse due to a license revocation, voluntary license surrender, board order specifically requiring reapplication, or five years have passed since previously-held license expired.

Sorry, I'm confused - which of these is the option for normal people like me? (Why does it have to be needlessly complicated? 😣😛😵) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my last year of residency in Michigan, preparing to register for the boards. This requires that I be in the process of applying for my real, unrestricted medical license in the state in which I plan to do fellowship. When using the "LicensE" system to apply for my medical license, it gives us five options:

Special Permit
Applicant granted a unique permit under a special circumstance, i.e., locum tenens.

Act 10
This license can be issued to a provider from another state during a national public health emergency. This license can also be issued to providers who are licensed in good standing in another state who also apply for a permanent license at the same time.

Training License
Applicant becomes licensed under supervision of a professional in their field in order to gain experience to qualify for a full license.

Licensure by Endorsement
Applicant is granted a license by virtue of recommendation by professional organization or institution (i.e. members of a Medical Compact), Applicants who hold an active license in another state.

Renewal After 5 Years
Applicant reapplies after any licensure lapse due to a license revocation, voluntary license surrender, board order specifically requiring reapplication, or five years have passed since previously-held license expired.

Sorry, I'm confused - which of these is the option for normal people like me? (Why does it have to be needlessly complicated? 😣😛😵) Thank you.
Reach out to your fellowship program and ask them but I imagine the training license option is fine if you are going to be in fellowship unless you plan on doing moonlighting in which case the endorsement option seems appropriate.

Also I am not sure that you need to be fully/independently licensed to take your boards, plenty of people in fellowship take ABIM on training licenses.