WIMU/WSU Logan Campus Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpannier

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first discussion post on here, but I just got accepted to WSU at the Logan campus. I was hoping to connect with prior/current students at Utah, or students who just got accepted into this program. I am a non-resident student so I have never been to this part of Utah and would love to know more about Logan and the program itself!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!! Congrats on your acceptance!! I just got accepted as well for this upcoming class, but am currently finishing my undergrad at USU (WSU's Logan campus). I've lived in Logan for the last 5ish years and love it here! I know a little bit about the program because of the professors here that I've worked with, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Logan and what it's like to live here :)

How are the facilities at USU? They seem very nice from pictures, and I think the smaller class size of ~30 students will be nice too. I honestly did not have Logan on my radar even though I selected it as one of the campus choices...
Also, very curious about the boarding situation at USU equestrian center, which you may not know much about but if so please let me know any info you have heard about it. Thanks for responding :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say anything specifically about the vet school facilities- I wasn't an animal science or pre-vet major, so I didn't have any classes in the animal labs or anything, but the research farms, including the equestrian center, seem really nice from when I've attended events there. The anatomy lab is in one of the older buildings on campus, but it still gets the job done I think :) Hopefully a current or past Logan student can give you more details on facilities!

I'm also super excited about the smaller class size. The professors here are wonderful and really, really care about the students and I think it's easier for them to get to know the vet students even more since the class is so small. I work for two of the vet school professors in their research lab and they are like my second parents :)

I'm not sure what the current boarding situation is at the equestrian center...a couple years ago when I was looking for a boarding place for my horse I believe they didn't offer boarding to the public (and maybe not to anyone?), but that was a few years ago, so my memory may be bad or things may have changed since then. There are a number of nice boarding facilities around Cache Valley though. I had my horse at one that was about 20 minutes from campus and it was great- they had an indoor arena, outdoor arena, covered stalls or open pastures depending on your preference, and was within riding distance of trail rides in the foothills. So even if the school's equestrian center doesn't offer boarding, there are plenty of other nice options in the valley :)

I can't say anything specifically about the vet school facilities- I wasn't an animal science or pre-vet major, so I didn't have any classes in the animal labs or anything, but the research farms, including the equestrian center, seem really nice from when I've attended events there. The anatomy lab is in one of the older buildings on campus, but it still gets the job done I think :) Hopefully a current or past Logan student can give you more details on facilities!

I'm also super excited about the smaller class size. The professors here are wonderful and really, really care about the students and I think it's easier for them to get to know the vet students even more since the class is so small. I work for two of the vet school professors in their research lab and they are like my second parents :)

I'm not sure what the current boarding situation is at the equestrian center...a couple years ago when I was looking for a boarding place for my horse I believe they didn't offer boarding to the public (and maybe not to anyone?), but that was a few years ago, so my memory may be bad or things may have changed since then. There are a number of nice boarding facilities around Cache Valley though. I had my horse at one that was about 20 minutes from campus and it was great- they had an indoor arena, outdoor arena, covered stalls or open pastures depending on your preference, and was within riding distance of trail rides in the foothills. So even if the school's equestrian center doesn't offer boarding, there are plenty of other nice options in the valley :)
That is all very good to know! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all those questions. I tried to get in contact with one of the barn managers at the campus equestrian center...maybe things have changed since you looked into it but good to know that there are good boarding facilities around.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanna say that one of your anatomy faculty (idk if he’s just one of the assistants or if he’s the head prof or what) at USU is from UIUC and he’s the most amazing person and hilarious and awesome at anatomy and you will love him and he will teach you all the things

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
That is all very good to know! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all those questions. I tried to get in contact with one of the barn managers at the campus equestrian center...maybe things have changed since you looked into it but good to know that there are good boarding facilities around.
Of course!! I'm sorry that I'm not too helpful haha :) but if you have any other questions feel free to PM me as well. Did you get the email about WIMU Wednesdays that will be starting next week?

Of course!! I'm sorry that I'm not too helpful haha :) but if you have any other questions feel free to PM me as well. Did you get the email about WIMU Wednesdays that will be starting next week
I did get that email! I was excited to see that they will be recorded because I have class at that time each week! I was bummed that this week's webinar was not recorded however because it seemed like an informative talk about the Bozeman and Logan campuses.

I did get that email! I was excited to see that they will be recorded because I have class at that time each week! I was bummed that this week's webinar was not recorded however because it seemed like an informative talk about the Bozeman and Logan campuses.
Awww bummer you have class during those times! I bet they'll cover most of the stuff we talked about this week in subsequent weeks though, so you should be able to get that info again :)

Hi! This is my first discussion post on here, but I just got accepted to WSU at the Logan campus. I was hoping to connect with prior/current students at Utah, or students who just got accepted into this program. I am a non-resident student so I have never been to this part of Utah and would love to know more about Logan and the program itself!
Hello! I am a non-resident too! Have you decided to attend?

Hello! I am a non-resident too! Have you decided to attend?
I will more than likely attend, but still waiting to hear back from one more school! :) Are you attending the Utah campus?

I will more than likely attend, but still waiting to hear back from one more school! :) Are you attending the Utah campus?
I am in a similar situation! Hope we can meet if we both decide to accept out seats :)

I am in a similar situation! Hope we can meet if we both decide to accept out seats :)
what is the other school that you are waiting to hear back from? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I just found this thread and wanted to introduce myself. I was accepted on the 12th to Logan as well. My name is Aimee and I’m from Nevada! I have started to look into housing in Logan, but so far haven’t found anything great. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should look?

• Love
Hello! I just found this thread and wanted to introduce myself. I was accepted on the 12th to Logan as well. My name is Aimee and I’m from Nevada! I have started to look into housing in Logan, but so far haven’t found anything great. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should look?
Unless UT natives chime in-have you joined the FB groups? Those are a pretty good places to try and find housing. UT has their own pages, but the regular classifieds page can be a source as well since there are previous UT students on there! If you don't have any luck let me know and I can reach out to my classmates and see where was popular for housing in Logan.

Hi!!! Congrats!! I'm excited to meet you in the fall! :) I'm finishing my undergrad at USU right now and have lived in Logan for the last 5 years. There are a couple FB pages with Logan student housing and apartments (just general pages, not vet students). I can list the links to those tomorrow. Joining the FB pages, both the c/o 2025 one and well as the WSU CVM Classifieds would also be helpful and you could ask there about specifics for housing :)

Unless UT natives chime in-have you joined the FB groups? Those are a pretty good places to try and find housing. UT has their own pages, but the regular classifieds page can be a source as well since there are previous UT students on there! If you don't have any luck let me know and I can reach out to my classmates and see where was popular for housing in Logan.
I haven’t yet but I will start looking there! Thank you!
Hi!!! Congrats!! I'm excited to meet you in the fall! :) I'm finishing my undergrad at USU right now and have lived in Logan for the last 5 years. There are a couple FB pages with Logan student housing and apartments (just general pages, not vet students). I can list the links to those tomorrow. Joining the FB pages, both the c/o 2025 one and well as the WSU CVM Classifieds would also be helpful and you could ask there about specifics for housing :)
Thank you for the advice! I will start looking for those pages!

what is the other school that you are waiting to hear back from? :)
I have already heard back from all the schools- I am waiting to talk to a bunch of people about grad school vs vet school. If I go to vet school it'd be WSU! I should be able to decide this week, when are you hearing back from your last school?

I'd be down to look into housing together if you are in need of a roommate! ;)

I'd be down to look into housing together if you are in need of a roommate! ;)
I would also be interested! Definitely would prefer a vet student group of roommates versus non-students/undergrads :)

Here are the FB pages:

USU Apartments, Houses and Sublets- Logan, UT

Logan, Utah (USU) Apartments, Subleases, Housing, Roommates- Cache Valley

I would recommend living somewhere right in Logan (as opposed to Hyrum or Smithfield which would be a 15-20 min drive to campus). All the current Utah vet students I know are married, so I dont know where the best apartments are for vet students who want to be roommates would be. There are usually lots of houses that are within walking distance from campus, but I know that some people like being a little farther away to create a little separation from school. There is a free bus system you can take to campus or buy a parking permit (just beware that parking permits are kinda expensive and parking can be hard to find)

Update: I just decided to commit to WSU 5 minutes ago <3
Can't wait to see you all in Logan this fall!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hey, current USU vet student here. Didn't notice this thread until now. Feel free to throw any USU specific questions my way.

How are the facilities at USU? They seem very nice from pictures, and I think the smaller class size of ~30 students will be nice
Overall, USU facilities are nice. You spend a majority of your time at the vet science building (which is old and meh), but it does have a great student lounge, a small (but nicely equipped) anatomy lab, and classrooms that are really only used by vet students (+24/7 access via prox card). Lectures are actually being held in the new business building which is incredibly nice. We also have rooms in the new agricultural science building for lectures, but they're not being used this year since they are too small for proper social distancing.

You'll also spend time down at the south farm and the Caine dairy that are off campus. Both of them are relatively modern and I can't think of any complaints.

Only having 30ish students is such an advantage over our WIMU counterparts that it's hard to put into words. The professors know you from day one, you know all of your classmates, you can easily ask questions or get one-on-one time in labs without being overlooked, and there are so many extracurricular opportunities available because there are so few people. A few brief examples: the SVM does embryo transfers in goats and sheep that you can personally sedate and tube, scrub in with the vets, inject some embryos, and then help suture in your FIRST SEMESTER. We also have plenty of opportunities to help with wildlife exams, do exams on horses for endurance rides, perform neuters through the shelter club, and so much more.

The anatomy lab is in one of the older buildings on campus, but it still gets the job done I think
Very much so. It's small and you can tell it's older, but it is well-equipped and it isn't a hinderance.

I just wanna say that one of your anatomy faculty (idk if he’s just one of the assistants or if he’s the head prof or what) at USU is from UIUC and he’s the most amazing person and hilarious and awesome at anatomy and you will love him and he will teach you all the things
He's the lab assistant and is an amazing guy. I'll have to mention to him someone from UIUC is still talking about how great he is. He'll love it! Haha.

For all of you future USUers, the anatomy professor is also new (from Mizzou). Both of them are everyone's favorite and they will literally do anything they can to help you learn what you need to.
Does anyone have any suggestions where I should look?

so I dont know where the best apartments are for vet students who want to be roommates would be.
Housing in Logan is very hit or miss and difficult to come by (especially if you have pets). The apartments I live at were built in the 70s and have zero insulation, both noise and thermal. The trade-off is that they are relatively cheap. Some students live in nice apartments but pay like $300 a month more than I do.

If you're fine with roommates, I believe some of my classmates that rent houses will be looking for a first year to replace their roommates that are moving to up to Pullman this summer. Some people in my class also just got really nice 2/3 bedroom apartments with other people in the class and share the rent.

Hey! I just officially accepted for this upcoming fall! Super excited

Hi everyone! I know I'm a bit late, but I was also accepted to the WIMU with Utah. Is anyone on here who's been through it possibly willing to talk about it??? I have some concerns and want to see how everyone else feels!

Hi everyone! I know I'm a bit late, but I was also accepted to the WIMU with Utah. Is anyone on here who's been through it possibly willing to talk about it??? I have some concerns and want to see how everyone else feels!
Hey, I'm a third year student that went through the first 2 years at USU.

Feel free to DM me any questions / concerns you have and I'll do my best to answer them for you.