william d ford FEDERAL loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nipdoc

all cosmetics, no heroics
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have an old DEFAULTED loan (from undergrad) that I am trying to clear (so I can borrow Federal loans again so I can finish grad school).

Direct Loans has instructed me to CONSOLIDATE all my Federal Loans and choose INCOME CONTINGENT REPAYMENT PLAN if i want to CLEAR my defaulted loan.

However, I am with Sallie Mae (for my med sch loans - both Guaranteed Stafford and Non-guaranteed Private loans). ....And they do IN-SCHOOL DEFERMENT....as long as one is enrolled "at least half-time".

I recently returned to school ...and just mailed in my IN-SCH DEFERMENT FORM with Sallie Mae.

My questions:

1) when William D Ford (govt) consolidates all my fedloans, ....will i then be on the INCOME CONTINGENT REPAYMENT PLAN? Will the govt OWN my loans (and NOT sallie mae anymore)?

or will I be in Sallie Mae's IN-SCHOOL DEFERMENT?

2) Can I consolidate ( with the govt) and STILL be in IN SCH DEFERMENT status with Sallie Mae?

hAS ANYONE done this,...or knows of anyone who has done this??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest talking with the financial aid folks from your undergrad...they should know all about this.

I believe that you can only consolidate once, and once you consolidate you agree to start repaying...so I don't think you can consolidate and then defer the loans, but I'm really not sure.

I think I'll ask one of the moderators to move this to the financial aid forum.