William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most schools will interview you without it WCUCOM is no exception but they will not accept you until you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is that a hard fact? Have students gotten in without a DO LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Any one know the usual turnaround time for II after secondaries have been submitted and under review?

Two weeks to 4 months. In otherwords it depends. This isnt the type of school that has the normal time line like most other schools. If you got a secondary you have a high chance of being interviewed. Sit tight.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It pretty much means required but leaves them room to take somebody they really like or foreign students which they do take.
So no DO you still wont go unless you are from Thailand or something.

I wish they could have made that more clear in the beginning... then maybe I could have used those $100 towards another school or something.

I got accepted two years ago without a DO letter, as did others in my class.

Thanks. I dont think anybody from my class did unless they were not a full US citizen. I know of a few that were waitlisted because of it. I wonder if the current 1st year class has anybody that got in without one.

But seriously if you really want to know guys and gals asking the current policy pick up that phone and call them and ask if you can be accepted without one.

Thanks. I dont think anybody from my class did unless they were not a full US citizen. I know of a few that were waitlisted because of it. I wonder if the current 1st year class has anybody that got in without one.

But seriously if you really want to know guys and gals asking the current policy pick up that phone and call them and ask if you can be accepted without one.

Well I called them and they said it was "legal". Honestly, they realize how hard it is to already shadow a physician and then ask them for a LOR on top of that. Smh...

Well I called them and they said it was "legal". Honestly, they realize how hard it is to already shadow a physician and then ask them for a LOR on top of that. Smh...

With them saying it is "legal" isnt exactly an approval. That kind of blows. Sorry you cant really find a straight answer. My advice if you dont have one is to get one. The way i did it was through that DO mentorship thing. Can't remember the website but it was helpful. I also cold called a few places and was able to shadow a few docs that way. Even if in the end you dont need the letter it would be worth the experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else know which gpa is the most important schools look at? I am guessing overall gpa and just overall science gpa?

Is it possible to get a secondary/interview without having all my evaluations uploaded?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a hard fact? Have students gotten in without a DO LOR?
The policy may have changed but i doubt it. I believe it is still no DO you cant go.

I'm a Carey 2nd year and I never sent them a DO LOR, I sent in an amazing MD one though. I had a DO letter from many years past and offered it to them (to which they declined) when they asked me about it during interview.

has anyone gotten the secondary yet? App submitted 7/19
Have you gotten a secondary yet? What are your stats? I got complete on monday and got a secondary today in the morning without any evaluations

Has anybody received a complete application (LORS, secondary). Haven't received anything but a receipt for my secondary check 2 months ago.

Has anybody received a complete application (LORS, secondary). Haven't received anything but a receipt for my secondary check 2 months ago.
You got a secondary two months ago and no interview? That is weird lol

Gpa/Mcat?

Last edited:
Is there a file that exists that contains the tuition of all the osteopathic schools?

Also does William Carey give out any kinds of scholarships?

This is fairly accurate

Attachments

• MEDschoolTUITION.png
    MEDschoolTUITION.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 174
Same here. I also completed my secondary two months ago and did not receive an II.
GPA 3.22, 4.0 postbacc work, MCAT 508, recent DO letter
That is strange, maybe they are taking their time this cycle lol. With a 4.0 postbacc, I would give you an interview lol.

Where else have you applied?

Correction: The DO letters are a preferred item, not something that is going to be an elimination factor. It is better to have one for not just here but other schools to.
Sorry if i have confused anybody.

Is there a file that exists that contains the tuition of all the osteopathic schools?

Also does William Carey give out any kinds of scholarships?

There are a few small scholarships mostly for MS residents. It isnt a lot of money. Scholarships are not a very common thing in the DO school world.

That is strange, maybe they are taking their time this cycle lol. With a 4.0 postbacc, I would give you an interview lol.

Where else have you applied?

Thanks for the encouraging words haha

I've applied to every Eastern US/Appalachian DO school, TCOM, UIWSOM, and the remainder of the Texas schools...and all of the gulf coast DO schools. I have IIs for 2 schools thus far.

I'm highly interested in WCUCOM and it's one of the few schools that I actually visited. I'm going to email the admissions team and offer an application update if I don't hear back from them in the next couple of weeks.

Interview on October 31st. This is the first time I interview in medical school. I feel exciting, but I also feel anxious about it. How do I prepare for interview?

Interview on October 31st. This is the first time I interview in medical school. I feel exciting, but I also feel anxious about it. How do I prepare for interview?
Stats? From now everyone post their stats

Did the dean send you an e-mail saying he likes your application?
The dean sent me an email to remind me update my MCAT score in primary application in July. Then, I sent him an email to tell him that I updated MCAT score in August.

II today, but probably withdrawing

II just now, but I'm declining. Hope someone who really wants it gets it.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now, but I'm declining. Hope someone who really wants it gets it.

Call them up and be like, "yeah this guy medschoolplease123" idk who he is but you should find him and give him my II spot. I would be eternally grateful! Haha jokes. But anyways, mind sharing how long it took to get an II after your app was complete?

Call them up and be like, "yeah this guy medschoolplease123" idk who he is but you should find him and give him my II spot. I would be eternally grateful! Haha jokes. But anyways, mind sharing how long it took to get an II after your app was complete?
Completed August 2nd - just hearing back now!

Congratulations on the acceptance, what were your stats? Which school are you planning to attend?
Got into a couple great DO programs and really consider it too early in the cycle to choose. Few more interviews coming up. 514 MCAT ~3.5 GPA (post-bacc included)

Best of luck

Still no secondary application and had my primary app and other materials in since July. Is this a silent rejection?

Still no secondary application and had my primary app and other materials in since July. Is this a silent rejection?

Not saying it isnt ...but I got in all my stuff the day the cycle opened & didn't hear back until Octoberish last year.

Last edited:

If at the end of October you don't hear back it is much more likely to reflect rejection but unless they tell you you're out you are still in the running.
First do this, contact them and every other school you have not received a complete email/contact from and ask if you forgot something or if there is anything else you need to do. Sometimes things get lost and we do forget things. If after that still nothing figure out what you maybe missing that could be hurting your chances at medical school. Getting into med school is very competitive process but if you do the right things you can get in.

I'm curious as to what my chances are of getting an interview here. I received an email yesterday saying my secondary was received, and file complete, as of mid September (must have forgotten to send complete email then?). From what I've seen on here they don't send secondaries to everyone, but how selective are they? 3.2 GPAs w/ 508 MCAT and lots of ties to underserved areas and osteopathic medicine. Currently enrolled in SMP at another osteopathic school. From the Midwest.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile