William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who is scheduled for an interview on 12/12?

Members don't see this ad.

I decided to apply here very late (just submitted today...). But Dr. Weir is meeting with me on 12/13. Not sure if this might mean I still have a chance for this cycle? 3.5 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 505 MCAT, and 400+ hours healthcare experience (working with an MD and a PT)

I decided to apply here very late (just submitted today...). But Dr. Weir is meeting with me on 12/13. Not sure if this might mean I still have a chance for this cycle? 3.5 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 505 MCAT, and 400+ hours healthcare experience (working with an MD and a PT)

Why the meeting? For an interview?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why the meeting? For an interview?!
No, not an interview. It's more of a recruiting, I believe. I am touring the campus and meeting with Dr. Weir to discuss the program, talk about admissions, etc. They were a little vague in the correspondence, but my advisor told me it is less common for Dr. Weir to meet with applicants during interview season, which is why I am hoping this is a good sign. :)

Do you have other offers/ acceptances ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone have a 2014-2016 match list complete with location of residency? Link or data would be appreciated. Really wish they published this.

Check last years thread, I put one together for 2016 and I think the 2015 thread has it as well- I can't remember if I put one in there or not.

Finally got an interview invite here lol. But it's not until January 30th

Anyone else?

Withdrawing from my interview (1/9), hope one of you deserving folks gets it in my stead!

Reactions: 1 user
I read in last year's handbook that Microsoft is encouraged... Anyone have input on using a Macbook rather than a PC here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read in last year's handbook that Microsoft is encouraged... Anyone have input on using a Macbook rather than a PC here?

Interviewed yesterday and they said both Mac and Windows are fine.

Was pretty an easy going, panel style interview. Each go around asking basic interview questions like why DO? Why medicine? And an ethical dilemma. They aren't trying to trip you up or anything. If you get an interview in general, they are rooting for you!

I'm an OMS1 there and plenty of people use MacBooks. I personally use Microsoft, but everything works fine with macs.

I really liked the school. I wonder when they will be releasing decision for those who interviewed on 12/12. I hope to make the cut!

I really liked the school. I wonder when they will be releasing decision for those who interviewed on 12/12. I hope to make the cut!

It only took me about a week to a week and a half to find out. Shouldn't be too long.

I'll say this, this people they accept are very quality people. Everyone in out class helps each other out and there is a lot of comradery. Love it here.

The dean called me yesterday. I GOT IN! I'm psyched to go there.

Any tips for the interview ?
Sure! Tip 1: plan on trying to get to the interview 30 mins before the actual time listed due to traffic. I was the first person there so I got to chit chat with Dr Wier for a bit. Know the obvious stuff like why medicine, why DO, and why WCUCOM. They asked for a leadership example and about my volunteering. The ethical question was easy: what do you do if your coworker comes in smelling like alcohol. I got nervous initially but calmed down and everything was fine. You will be fine too!

Submitted in November still no secondary.

Can any current students speak as to the quality and type/locations of rotations offered? Ex, how are the IM, OBGYN, and GS rotations here?

Much appreciated

I thought I'd post my opinions and views of WCUCOM. For reference, Im a OMS-I. This will be a long and detailed post but I will sum it up here by saying do NOT go to WCUCOM. Got to any school in the US but not WCUCOM. I went here because I didnt know what I was getting into and I was desperate after finishing my post-bacc. I will be very specific about why this school is so awful and should be avoided.

The worst thing by far about WCUCOM is how rude, condescending, disrespectful, and incompetent the profs are. I would say only half of the profs at WCUCOM are good professors. They seriously ruin the school. The administration doesnt care about their behavior and will always side against students. Let me talk about some profs behaviors as an example.

"Prof Dingleberry": I seriously cant believe that someone like dingleberry has a teaching job when he fails at everything. He literally has no positive traits: he cant teach (he actually refuses to teach), he is rude and disrespectful to students (he will pick on you and make you feel like an idiot for not knowing an answer), and he is outright pyschopathic (he joked about running over dogs in class). He is literally the worst prof Ive ever had, you do NOT want to deal with this dingleberry. Other profs teach most of his course but he did the whole final block by himself. The test result for that block's avg was failing and dingleberry refused to curve or throw out any questions. Now 20-30 of my classmates will have to remediate his course. There are some idiots in our class who blame the students for failing but I refuse to believe the same people who passed 3 previous tests suddenly failed because of their own stupidity.

"Prof. Professionalism" : Spends most of his time yelling and going on tirades against students. One of his favorite things to yell about (and waste class time) is "professionalism". He is not a physician and has he never worked in the real world. He is basically a bureaucrat who teaches medical students so he actually knows nothing about being a "professional". A "professional" would know how to convey the standards of conduct better than this fool. Instead, he just yells and talks down to us most of the time. He doesnt follow his own rules either. For example, he did a literal strip-tease in class instead of just telling us a mneumonic. He also thinks studying for boards will "dumb you down" and it only shows "basic competency" if you pass them.

OMM Department: I have to criticize the whole OMM ("OPP" at WCUCOM) department because its hard to single out a single person when they are all make medical school harder than it should be. The biggest issue is that every prof does things a different way and they refuse to communicate with each other. Theres lots of confusing things in the powerpoints they put out, we've had instances where ppts where completely wrong and had to be re-posted multiple times, the profs exuse: its okay because you "didnt learn it the first time anyway". FYI: the powerpoints are #1 at WCUCOM. The courses are taught to what the prof thinks is important not what is important for the boards so the best way to get an A is to memorize the ppts and then go back and learn the board-relevant material. The course director is rude and arrogant. He is like a junior "prof. dingleberry" and "prof. professionalism" but not as antisocial. When you ask him to clarify things in the ppts (or any kind of question honestly), he wont answer your question and just tells you to "learn it all". He also likes to talk about professionalism but at the same time he yells at us and calls us unprofessional for asking him to record the lectures. He really outdid himself in terms of stupidity in our last class, he actually made us showup the day after our finals and instead of teaching, we literally sat in class and listened to a podcast that had NOTHING to do medicine.

Anatomy Department: A lot of what I said about the OPP dep applies here. The profs do not communicate with each other and the course director doesnt really know what he's doing. However, the anatomy dept became better at the end because the final test was easy and the course director added points to everyones grade to help the borderline students.

This is my opinion of the academics, broken down by class. In general, classes arent taught to the boards and that is a bad thing. Classes are taught according to the profs' ppts.
CFM: This is your "foundations" class where they are supposed to be teach basic science but instead its a total waste of time. The profs spend all of the CFM time presenting crap that is irrelevant and not helpful to medicine at all. Ex: They tell you about the Myers-Briggs test in-depth (the ENTJ/INTP crap) and what it means to be a "professional". They also waste time and make you memorize useless facts about AT Still and American history.

Genetics: This is a good course because the profs who teach it are great teachers, they actually listen to feedback and throwout bad questions unlike dingleberry.

Doctoring Skills: Total waste of time but its an easy course so I cant complain much. You will have to write 2 long essays though.

Histo: This is a good course and interesting when the prof is teaching and not going on tangents.

OPP: OMM/OPP is a big deal at WCUCOM and the profs make it harder than it should be because they dont communicate and they all have different techniques for the same thing. This makes OMM harder than it should be but you'll pass if you work hard (I failed 2 CSA's but they let you retest so I ended the course with a C).

Physiology: 2/3 of the profs who teach phys are great but 1/3 ruins it and makes it way harder than it should be. I barely passed the final block because of tutors and youtube vids, the prof provided no help at all.

Biochem: This is a good course and the prof is cool. He ties in lots of clinical applications and his questions are fair.

Anatomy: This class is hard unless youve had anatomy before. Unless youre coming straight from a postbacc like me, I would recommend you "pre-study" anatomy before starting school because its a ton of information and the profs arent the best at teaching it. We didnt even have ID lists for the practicals after the first test. Luckily, they made the final easy and gave points to everyone.

I should also talk about how bad the schools recording system is. Basically it only works 50% of the time and when you try to watch the recordings, youll get frustrated and quit because the system constantly buffers like a slow youtube video. To make it worse, you cant download the recordings without doing some special hacking and theres no way to download them as mp3s.

So that is my honest and straightforward view of WCUCOM. My view is not unique at all, most of my classmates feel this way because of how we've been treated but they wont say anything because they know the administration reads these threads. I could be caught and punished for violating "professionalism" rules (which is why so few of my classmates speak out against WCUCOM). I wouldnt be surprised if our whole class was punished for my post. WCUCOM likes group punishment, some students were caught cheating before a test but instead of kicking them out, they were let back in but now everyone has to sit in assigned seats and keep their laptops closed until the test starts. This is a bad school and I would not attend if I had offers from other places but it's too late for me now. Im writing this so hopefully you can learn from my mistake.

Jason? Did you quit bodybuilding to pursue medicine? Jokes aside I have an interview at WCU soon and your post is concerning.

Reactions: 1 users
I assure anyone reading this that the school is not as atrocious as the above post states. It does have its merits, such as the fact that doctoring skills is a worthless course, but the "psychopathic" professor in question is from the north east with an extremely dry sense of humor, and the opp department, while difficult, is the single best class at this university for preparing for the COMLEX. Having done almost all of COMBANK I can totally say that the OPP department is doing a fantastic job of preparing us for the boards. My average score on the OPP questions is a high B, and it could be higher if I just took the time to read the questions carefully.

I can honestly say that this university is not the best in the country, but who expects it to be? I struggled my first semester and was pissed off, but then, in the second semester and beyond, I learned to deal with the massive amount of information and it became more about how I managed my time as opposed to how the professors teach it. In fact, I don't listen to a single lecture, study both first aid and the PowerPoints in the back of the classroom, and I'm doing great. Is it optimal to do that? For me it is, but that's not going to be true for everyone.

The biggest takeaway anyone should get from this post is this: if you have zero interest in learning OPP and only claim to want to be a DO because your grades suck, this school is not for you. It's really hard the first year and can be viewed as a sort of hazing, but the second year gets much better. Also, if you're not self motivated in your learning habits, it will be difficult coming here. Other medical schools have better professors for spoon feeding information, I'm sure, so perhaps pick one of those schools if you need the everything explained to you. This school works for me because I've always learned best on my own, without paying attention to a single lecture. It's medical school: you will be miserable with the amount of crap you have to learn anyway, so it doesn't much matter where you go. As always, if you want to be a doctor then apply wherever you want and be prepared to wade through endless miles of **** with frustration in your heart and a smile on your face. That's the journey you'll go through anywhere, and it only gets worse in residency (as we all know).

Jason? Did you quit bodybuilding to pursue medicine? Jokes aside I have an interview at WCU soon and your post is concerning.

I met the staff and a few professors on my interview day and they seemed nothing like many negative posts in this forum. We were also given an opportunity to speak to some med students alone during lunch. After my Q&A with them, I stopped reading negative posts. I am looking forward to attending WCU. I believe the best med school is the one that first accepted you.

What I recommend is that you come to the interview and ask lots of questions. Faculty, 1st and 2nd years .... just ask ask ask. See how happy or unhappy people are. Ask how 2nd years how they prep for boards. Ask about the mandatory attendance. Ask about the food in the cafe. Ask about how many people talk USMLE and how many pass. Ask how many people pass comlex first attempt. Ask everybody you can.
Never forget the school is just as much on point as you are at an interview.

I met the staff and a few professors on my interview day and they seemed nothing like many negative posts in this forum. We were also given an opportunity to speak to some med students alone during lunch. After my Q&A with them, I stopped reading negative posts. I am looking forward to attending WCU. I believe the best med school is the one that first accepted you.

I am really glad you enjoyed your interview but let me warn you dont be so quick to dismiss someones experiences based on a single interview day. Many people put all they have into med school and have spent tons of money and hours in school and when things dont work the pain is very real. Even when everything goes your way the struggle is real. If you disagree with "negative " comments investigate before you dismiss. Understand your perspective and ours. That being said obviously dont assume every negative comment is well founded. If you have questions or worries ask. Ask here, pm us, ask the school but please ask before assuming one camp is right. Med school is a life changing make or break choice. Be informed.

People and schools put on a front for interview day so don't solely rely on that to make your decision . The reason you didn't meet anyone who spoke bad about wcucom was because we are afraid of (openly) expressing our real opinion. This school takes "professionalism" very seriously and they'll use it to punish you for speaking out.

Come to wcucom if you don't get in anywhere in the states but it's not easy here.

Sure! Tip 1: plan on trying to get to the interview 30 mins before the actual time listed due to traffic. I was the first person there so I got to chit chat with Dr Wier for a bit. Know the obvious stuff like why medicine, why DO, and why WCUCOM. They asked for a leadership example and about my volunteering. The ethical question was easy: what do you do if your coworker comes in smelling like alcohol. I got nervous initially but calmed down and everything was fine. You will be fine too!

Last edited:
So from what I've been reading, if you receive a secondary invite, then your chances of receiving an II are fairly high?

So from what I've been reading, if you receive a secondary invite, then your chances of receiving an II are fairly high?

Its higher than other schools. I received a secondary in July and have been complete since august.

Are there any discounts for hotel for us?

Hello,

I received notice that I still need to take an "English" course. They are quite strict on the course be titled English and not simply a course which requires intensive writing. Would be worthwhile to take an additional class to get an interview at this school? I'll add that I already finished my bachelors and currently not a student

Hello,
Who sent you that notice?
I received notice that I still need to take an "English" course. They are quite strict on the course be titled English and not simply a course which requires intensive writing. Would be worthwhile to take an additional class to get an interview at this school? I'll add that I already finished my bachelors and currently not a student

Hello,

I would talk to Dr. Weir about the possibility of making an exception for this. It sounds like you had plenty of "English" in that course you took.

Nope first school to tell me. not busy and dr weir said cc course at local cc were ok so might do it

If you've visited the school, done your research, etc and want to be here, then go right ahead. I'm sure you could take an accelerated online course also.