William Beaumont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

radiodog

Has anyone heard from this program yet? Are they taking applications this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Beaumont has 2 slots like they do every year. However, they get back to applicants LATE. I didn't hear from the until near the end of December.

Can anyone tell me a little about William Beaumont's program? Just trying to learn a little more about programs in the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
WB is listed in the interview thread as having sent interviews out by phone on Dec 19th. However, I don't know anyone who got an interview.. It seems like it would be NUTS though for them to wait this long..so I'd bet they've extended their invitations. G'luck.

William Beaumont is large hospital in the nice Detroit Suburbs. Although not associated formally with a university, students from Wayne State and University of Michigan are found lerking the hallways of various departments. The Radiation Oncology Department is an epicenter of Brachytherapy and Image guided radiation therapy. Residents see patients at the main hospital/clinic (about 1000 beds) and another hospital about 15 miles away (about 300 beds). There is no shortage of cases to see and it creeps up ever year on the US NEWS rank of top cancer hospital (currently around 33). It is a leading surgical center in the country, based on operations performed.

The work load is on the heavier end but the exposure you get is unbelievable, something that I was even surprised by in this "community setting". If you are looking for big names in the field, both Frank Vicini (one of the study heads for the partial breast irradiation trials NSABP B-39) is here, as is Alvaro Martinez (a pioneer in HDR brachytherapy). The physics department is in a word, huge. The department has recently acquired a gammaknife which has been a big effort on the part of the program director. I am sure that has undoubtedly contributed to the later than usual interview process.

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to contact me on here