Will you take the mRNA Vaccine Immediately When Available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you plan on taking either the Moderna or Pfizer mRNA vaccine immediately when available?

• Yes

Votes: 170 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 22.4%

• Total voters
I haven't heard or read anyone saying that; many are saying that we have to mask and socially distance until a meaningful number of people have been vaccinated.

That's not what I posted. The "experts" recommended all the precautions even with vaccine because it's theoretically still transmissable according to them.

Also I'd like to nail them down on the number of vaccinated people we need so they can't shift goalposts and continue the nonsense indefinitely.

Members don't see this ad.

Young (20s) third year medical student, got 2nd dose early in the morning, no fatigue, arm soreness, or side effects. Feel great

Kind of funny that I was grouped with 1A because of in-patient rotations, but hey - that's the way it goes.

Young (20s) third year medical student, got 2nd dose early in the morning, no fatigue, arm soreness, or side effects. Feel great

Kind of funny that I was grouped with 1A because of in-patient rotations, but hey - that's the way it goes.
You should be in 1A. If you're in an around COVID patients, working in facilities accepting COVID patients, sharing the same air as COVID patients, you should be 1A. It makes no difference if you've graduated yet, or not. Not only do you not need to get the virus, no one needs you getting it and passing it around the elderly patients who might die from it. You're still a healthcare worker, regardless of how much you get paid for it, and whether or not you get paid at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got #2 today almost 4 hours ago. Arm started hurting with in 5 minutes which was new this time. By 1 hour my whole upper arm felt like it had been punched 10 times. Less initial dizziness than before. Able to drive home safely. Around hour 3, the vague skin pain, headache, chills, and fatigue started setting in. I’m eating lunch and then I’m going to lay down. Luckily I have a couple days without any responsibility because I just finished a rotation block, took my last shelf this morning, and Step 2 a week ago.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be in 1A. If you're in an around COVID patients, working in facilities accepting COVID patients, sharing the same air as COVID patients, you should be 1A. It makes no difference if you've graduated yet, or not. Not only do you not need to get the virus, no one needs you getting it and passing it around the elderly patients who might die from it. You're still a healthcare worker, regardless of how much you get paid for it, and whether or not you get paid at all.
I have seen so much vaccination hesitancy around my area (even among healthcare workers, though usually not physicians) that it has made me wonder whether the phases are even necessary. I have a feeling that if they release the vaccines for anyone and everyone who wants it, there will still be a ton of doses left over.

Reactions: 3 users
I have seen so much vaccination hesitancy around my area (even among healthcare workers, though usually not physicians) that it has made me wonder whether the phases are even necessary. I have a feeling that if they release the vaccines for anyone and everyone who wants it, there will still be a ton of doses left over.
One of the emails I got in the last couple days said one of the federal agencies (HHS?) was saying they were just guidelines, and stop being so strict and just get them into peoples arms.

My hospital started offering vaccine to household contacts of staff a few days ago. Spouse got first dose yesterday when I got my second dose. Was reminded I look like a child when I was asked if spouse was my parent. Awwwwwwkkwaaaaaard.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
My hospital started offering vaccine to household contacts of staff a few days ago. Spouse got first dose yesterday when I got my second dose. Was reminded I look like a child when I was asked if spouse was my parent. Awwwwwwkkwaaaaaard.
Your spouse must have been thrilled with that exchange.

Update: 24 hours post #2 and I’m pretty miserable.

Chills, low grade fever, shaking, fatigue, malaise, arthralgia, myalgia, skin ache, headache, neck ache, back pain, ear pain, jaw pain, abdominal pain. Everything hurts. I’m shaking partly because of chills and partly because aches/pains are so overwhelming.

edit: when can I take Tylenol or Aleve?? I know we discussed the theoretical effect on immune response, so I haven’t taken anything yet.

Chills, low grade fever, shaking, fatigue, malaise, arthralgia, myalgia, skin ache, headache, neck ache, back pain, ear pain, jaw pain, abdominal pain. Everything hurts. I’m shaking partly because of chills and partly because aches/pains are so overwhelming.

edit: when can I take Tylenol or Aleve?? I know we discussed the theoretical effect on immune response, so I haven’t taken anything yet.

I took both ibuprofen and acetaminophen for much milder symptoms than you're describing.

I am 48 hours out, and I feel pretty normal. Even my arm has stopped hurting. Symptoms seemed to peak about 24 hours out, which was a mild peak for me.

I broke down & took 400mg of ibuprofen today. Feeling fine now. Just go ahead, IMO

48 hour update:

took 1 ES Tylenol at 32 hours, 1 Naproxen at 33 hours, and then 1 ES Tylenol at 38 hours, woke up at 46 hours feeling much better. Still very achy with moderate headache and fatigue, but don’t feel fever/chills or crippled by pain in every cell of my body anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got #2 today almost 4 hours ago. Arm started hurting with in 5 minutes which was new this time. By 1 hour my whole upper arm felt like it had been punched 10 times. Less initial dizziness than before. Able to drive home safely. Around hour 3, the vague skin pain, headache, chills, and fatigue started setting in. I’m eating lunch and then I’m going to lay down. Luckily I have a couple days without any responsibility because I just finished a rotation block, took my last shelf this morning, and Step 2 a week ago.

48 hour update:

took 1 ES Tylenol at 32 hours, 1 Naproxen at 33 hours, and then 1 ES Tylenol at 38 hours, woke up at 46 hours feeling much better. Still very achy with moderate headache and fatigue, but don’t feel fever/chills or crippled by pain in every cell of my body anymore.
Update: Took alternating Tylenol, Naproxen, Tylenol again yesterday. Woke up today at 72 hours with symptoms 95% resolved.

Pfizer Shot 1: 12/18/2020
Pfizer Shot 2: 01/08/2021

Healgen COVID-19 Rapid Antibody Test 12/31/2020:
IMG_3048.jpeg

slight IgG no IgM response

Healgen COVID-19 Rapid Antibody Test 01/11/2021:
IMG_3063.jpeg

I should note that both my wife and daughter recently had COVID. I have been asymptomatic other than after my second shot. I have performed 8 Abbott COVID BinaxNOW tests that have all been negative. So unless I've defied statistical odds and all my nasal swabs were falsely negative, then I would say I have proof that my vaccines created antibodies. (I have done several Healgen rapid tests including the day I received my first vaccine; all have been negative.)

EDIT: Incorrectly reported shot 1 date as 12/28/2020 instead of 12/18/2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I really think the vaccine may have kept me from getting COVID from my family. Was rough sleeping in another bedroom, wearing a mask around the house (doing all the stuff at work now at home), watching my daughter open Christmas gifts from 6 feet away, etc.

Pfizer Shot 1: 12/28/2020
Pfizer Shot 2: 01/08/2021

Healgen COVID-19 Rapid Antibody Test 12/31/2020:
View attachment 327288
slight IgG no IgM response

Healgen COVID-19 Rapid Antibody Test 01/11/2021:
View attachment 327289

I should note that both my wife and daughter recently had COVID. I have been asymptomatic other than after my second shot. I have performed 8 Abbott COVID BinaxNOW tests that have all been negative. So unless I've defied statistical odds and all my nasal swabs were falsely negative, then I would say I have proof that my vaccines created antibodies. (I have done several Healgen rapid tests including the day I received my first vaccine; all have been negative.)

Interesting the lack of response after the first one was just 3 days after the vaccine...may not be enough time to have full antibody complement.

Serious question. Is wearing masks still required after getting the vaccine? If so, why? And for how long should they be worn?
I for one don't want to deal with the complaints patients will have if they see us in the ER without masks. Plus, it'll create situations in businesses where if they accept people by word that they received vaccine and let them in without a mask, then everyone will think they can enter without a mask... or they'll create fake vaccination cards.

Reactions: 5 users
I made a typo in my antibody test post. I had shot 1 on 12/18/2020 not 12/28/2020. That first Healgen test was done 13 days after the first shot and not 3 days afterwards. Sorry. My immune system is not that strong. Maybe that's what @RustedFox was referring to with made of win. :)

Serious question. Is wearing masks still required after getting the vaccine? If so, why? And for how long should they be worn?
Remember that non-N95 masks are for protecting others from you, not you from others. We still don't have good data on how vaccination (or prior infection) affects your ability to transmit virus to others. So in the absence of herd immunity from (hopefully) vaccination or some magical disappearance of the virus, it is appropriate to continue masking.

I wouldn't expect mandatory masking in healthcare facilities to go anywhere for another 12-18 months, regardless of whether or not we can get our collective ish together on the vaccination front.

Remember that non-N95 masks are for protecting others from you, not you from others. We still don't have good data on how vaccination (or prior infection) affects your ability to transmit virus to others. So in the absence of herd immunity from (hopefully) vaccination or some magical disappearance of the virus, it is appropriate to continue masking.

I wouldn't expect mandatory masking in healthcare facilities to go anywhere for another 12-18 months, regardless of whether or not we can get our collective ish together on the vaccination front.

I’ve seen a ton of COVID patients with ”only” those cheap blue surgical masks you see everywhere and a face shield. I’ve seen a crud ton that were ”negative” on admission and converted on hospital day 3 or so. I work in a general medicine ward. They are pretty good about limiting nebs and Bipap. I’m negative. I’ve had negative antibodies and a weekly swab (I’m part of a study)

I always wear a respirator when I have to go to the ED though.

I just think it is wrong to say that a surgical mask doesn’t work. The masses don’t wear them properly, re-use/keep them in a pockets/purses. Even medical professionals probably don’t wear an N95 properly.

I’ve seen a ton of COVID patients with ”only” those cheap blue surgical masks you see everywhere and a face shield. I’ve seen a crud ton that were ”negative” on admission and converted on hospital day 3 or so. I work in a general medicine ward. They are pretty good about limiting nebs and Bipap. I’m negative. I’ve had negative antibodies and a weekly swab (I’m part of a study)

I always wear a respirator when I have to go to the ED though.

I just think it is wrong to say that a surgical mask doesn’t work. The masses don’t wear them properly, re-use/keep them in a pockets/purses. Even medical professionals probably don’t wear an N95 properly.
I've seen, and still see, healthcare workers wearing N95s over surgical masks and beards.

Wtf?

Twenty-three people died in Norway within days of receiving their first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine with 13 of those deaths apparently related to the side effects of the shots

All 13 were nursing home patients and at least 80 years old.

Common reactions to the vaccine, including fever and nausea, "may have contributed to a fatal outcome in some frail patients," New York Post quoted Sigurd Hortemo, chief physician at the Norwegian Medicines Agency, as saying in a statement on Friday.

• Sad
Wtf?

Twenty-three people died in Norway within days of receiving their first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine with 13 of those deaths apparently related to the side effects of the shots

Common reactions to the vaccine, including fever and nausea, "may have contributed to a fatal outcome in some frail patients," New York Post quoted Sigurd Hortemo, chief physician at the Norwegian Medicines Agency, as saying in a statement on Friday.
A strange woman in blue lifted up my sleeve and injected this poison into me a month ago. I survived. Then, in a strange twist of fate, I was stabbed with it again two weeks ago, by another suspicious-appearing small person dressed in blue. Miraculously, I survived again. It must be a sign.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Wtf?

What's the death rate for 80 year olds in nursing homes in Norway normally?

Millions of people around the world, myself included, have received the pfizer vaccine. This story is a blip on the radar.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
No they should live forever 🤣

One of my buddies here in FL was sued for med.mal in an 86 year old female who presented for general weakness. Negative workup. Ambulatory. Goes home. Dies the next day.

Sued.
Settled.
Thankyoupleasedrivethru.

It's pathetic, this med.mal nonsense.

• Sad
One of my buddies here in FL was sued for med.mal in an 86 year old female who presented for general weakness. Negative workup. Ambulatory. Goes home. Dies the next day.

Sued.
Settled.
Thankyoupleasedrivethru.

I'm sure the family was very broken up about no longer receiving the social security checks. That deserves some pain and suffering money.

Sued.
Settled.
Thankyoupleasedrivethru.

Madness. Absolute madness.

BREAKING: Old people often get sick and die.

Huh. Makes me wonder why no one came to this conclusion before politicians enforced never-ending covid restrictions.

• Haha