Will YOU Get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you get a vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 249 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 12.3%

• Total voters
Ugh any validity to these studies? I couldn't take it anymore after a restless night of high fevers and myalgias (worst was in the gluteus region for some reason) combined with borderline hallucinatory sleep...popped some APAP and ibuprofen and felt so much better after.
If memory serves, it's mainly premedicating that's the problem

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I will not be pre-medicating, but I will definitely not be abstaining from tylenol and ibuprofen if I start to feel crappy.

Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• ap_ozaukee_county_sheriff_-_steven_brandenburg.jpg
    ap_ozaukee_county_sheriff_-_steven_brandenburg.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 67
Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine, a healthy 37yo female got shingles two weeks after her first dose. Anyone hear of anything like this happening to anyone else? No way of knowing if they are actually related but it is weird.

A friend of mine, a healthy 37yo female got shingles two weeks after her first dose. Anyone hear of anything like this happening to anyone else? No way of knowing if they are actually related but it is weird.

You're joking right?

You're joking right?
Hey, I’m an anesthesiologist not an immunologist. I do know that an altered immune system can provide a window of opportunity for shingles to pop up. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to see a possible connection. I’m also not a Jenny McCarthy disciple either. I’m just asking on a national message board if anyone knows of similar issues.

Reactions: 3 users
For those who still need to get vaccinated the second shot of an mRNA based Covid 19 vaccine is not to be taken lightly. It really made me feel bad with symptoms for 2 days.
Yes, I’m glad to be fully immunized but I would not want to get the second dose then have to work really hard the following day.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I’m an anesthesiologist not an immunologist. I do know that an altered immune system can provide a window of opportunity for shingles to pop up. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to see a possible connection. I’m also not a Jenny McCarthy disciple either. I’m just asking on a national message board if anyone knows of similar issues.
Nurse anesthesiologist? :p

Have you heard of "post hoc ergo propter hoc"? There is no immune deficiency after any vaccination; if anything, there is increased inflammation in the body, hence an overactive immune system. That's why we distance vaccinations in time, and why we tend to avoid giving them to people with serious allergic histories.

The number of shingles cases among young people is on the rise. My money is on the lack of VZV exposure as a child.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nurse anesthesiologist? :p

Have you heard of "post hoc ergo propter hoc"? There is no immune deficiency after any vaccination; if anything, there is increased inflammation in the body, hence an overactive immune system. That's why we distance vaccinations in time, and why we tend to avoid giving them to people with serious allergic histories.

The number of shingles cases among young people is on the rise:
Low blow FFP.

I got the second dose. Feel like ****. Chills fatigue and sore arm. Had trouble sleeping last night from the symptoms and took an Advil and felt better probably going to pop another one soon.

I got the second dose. Feel like ****. Chills fatigue and sore arm. Had trouble sleeping last night from the symptoms and took an Advil and felt better probably going to pop another one soon.
I took nsaids and Tylenol 6 hours after my second shot. This is what the literature seemed to suggest was safest in terms of antibody levels.
I’m sure many of you younger folks can whether the fever, chills and malaise better than I did. Still, if you can rest the day after or have a light day at work that is what I suggest. Some of you won’t even notice the second dose others like myself will indeed have moderate side effects post vaccination.

I took nsaids and Tylenol 6 hours after my second shot. This is what the literature seemed to suggest was safest in terms of antibody levels.
I’m sure many of you younger folks can whether the fever, chills and malaise better than I did. Still, if you can rest the day after or have a light day at work that is what I suggest. Some of you won’t even notice the second dose others like myself will indeed have moderate side effects post vaccination.
Aw F Me, the day after may 2nd, I’m scheduled for a long day. A lot more people have been calling off after their 2nd shot than I anticipated .

Members don't see this ad :)
Low blow FFP.
First of all, it was half tongue-in-cheek (hence the smilie). People who want to offend, or troll, don't go on explaining their thought process. It was a joke, especially with some CRNAs calling themselves "nurse anesthesiologists".

Second: Association rarely means causation, especially with n=1. That is Evidence-Based Medicine 101.

Third: If you're a physician, you should know basic physiology and immunology. It's not rocket science, it even can be googled. I honestly can't understand where one could get the idea that a vaccine would induce immunodeficiency in a young healthy person.

These are also for all the geniuses who liked your post. We should have much higher expectations from other anesthesiologists. We are not CRNAs. This is one example why almost nobody gives a crap on us as physicians. We used to be among the smartest doctors in a hospital, we used to run the ORs, now we're seen as the intubators and propofol pushers. I'm more disappointed with this forum every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a little odd to hear a physician say, Hey I've got this anecdotal report of something weird that happened to someone who got the vaccine, do any of you have some more anecdotal stories like this?

I don't mean that in a mean way, there's lots of idle chitchat in this thread about the side effects we've individually experienced, that's OK. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to that kind of question since it's the standard MO of the vaccine-avoidant/denial concern trolls out there.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
To be fair there are also people saying tylenol will kill their immune response... :eyebrow:
There’s actually literature (in peds for tdap) that both acetaminophen and NSAID prophylaxis for vaccine symptoms can lower subsequent titer levels. Now whether that has a significant clinical effect is up for question...

To be fair there are also people saying tylenol will kill their immune response... :eyebrow:
I avoided Tylenol and all pain killers until at least 6 hours after my vaccination just to make sure I had a full response. What other people decide to do as it regards Tylenol is their business.
Even with my side effects I highly recommend the Covid 19 vaccine to every person I come in contact with especially family members and friends.

2nd dose Pfizer 9 days ago. Moderate injection site soreness x3d. Painless supraclavicular node day 3-9. Axillary node soreness as mild day 3-4. No fever, myalgia, congestion.

My team (3nurses) all had flu like sx 24-48 hrs after 2nd shot. All better by day 3.

There’s actually literature (in peds for tdap) that both acetaminophen and NSAID prophylaxis for vaccine symptoms can lower subsequent titer levels. Now whether that has a significant clinical effect is up for question...
Ok maybe but i've never talked about prophylaxis (which is also dumb imo).
I don't think antibody levels correlate with protection: i remember when we were getting the HepB vaccine as med students we had to do 3 shots then a titer level etc... which was later proved to be unnecessary.

I don't think antibody levels correlate with protection: i remember when we were getting the HepB vaccine as med students we had to do 3 shots then a titer level etc... which was later proved to be unnecessary.
In the study they gave some anti inflammatories before and after the vaccine shot so who knows. Intuitively though, waiting as long as possible before taking some Tylenol and ibuprofen doesn’t seem unreasonable because unlike hepb we don’t know if COVID antibody titers portend prognostic info...

What are u guys thinking about the new strains that potentially are not covered by the vaccine?

Why are you guys checking yourself for lymph nodes? It would never occur to me to do that.

So it appears we’ll never reach a 80% vaccination rate here in US. Once the vulnerable have vaccine available is the point we should be getting back to normal and not make accommodations for anyone. I imagine 100 million is close to the total amount who want the vaccine, so it seems like we can go back to normal in the next 4 months or so.

So it appears we’ll never reach a 80% vaccination rate here in US. Once the vulnerable have vaccine available is the point we should be getting back to normal and not make accommodations for anyone. I imagine 100 million is close to the total amount who want the vaccine, so it seems like we can go back to normal in the next 4 months or so.

We’ll have to accommodate them when they’re taking up space in the hospital, in rehab facility, at home unable to work.

This.

just take Tylenol or ibuprofen PRN for symptoms. No evidence that it is going to decrease effectiveness of the vaccine. I don’t remember looking in the Pfizer trial when I read it if the participants took NSAIDs or if it was even recorded.

We’ll have to accommodate them when they’re taking up space in the hospital, in rehab facility, at home unable to work.
And after they spread it around enough to create a new strain that we all have to deal with

Thoughts?

I mean. I don’t have a problem with what he did. We basically have a sign up for people to come and get doses that are going to go to waste Pretty much open to whoever.

I mean. I don’t have a problem with what he did. We basically have a sign up for people to come and get doses that are going to go to waste Pretty much open to whoever.
I agree. Have heard anecdotally about a lot of waste with unused doses, mixed with the fear of what happened to this guy for just trying to avoid waste.

wonder if things would be this amped up if the vaccine was so politicized.

I agree. Have heard anecdotally about a lot of waste with unused doses, mixed with the fear of what happened to this guy for just trying to avoid waste.

wonder if things would be this amped up if the vaccine was so politicized.

You mean if people weren't so stupid

Let’s just say all of us “idiots” who took the vaccine don’t drop dead in the next few months or turn into zombies.
If we “idiots” are all still alive and kicking, let the “others” who didn’t get the vaccine not be allowed in the hospitals and especially the ICUs quite frankly. Like show us your immunization card like in the military. We are all tired or are getting tired of this **** quite frankly.
Anyway, off my soapbox. Because I do have job security in the most depressing job in the entire world right now.

Thoughts?
Seriously? If what his lawyer is saying is accurate, they need to drop this BS charge and let him move on. He was an idiot for telling anyone about it is my take.
I see tons of waste in this country so I bet he was trying to be non wasteful. I am sure plenty of doses end up in the trash at the end of each day. This country doesn’t blink an eye at wasting stuff in the name of “following protocol.” There’s a good chance that the back up list doesn’t actually exist.
However, if only his friends and family received it, then that’s a little more shady, but I still don’t fault him for using extra doses instead of wasting them.

How many doses are you wasting each day? And any chance you are in Dallas TX? My parents can’t seem to find shots. Apparently that county is behind for some reason.

Okay, 24 hrs from moderna #2. Arm much more sore than dose #1. About 8 hrs in, started to feel a little sickly, back-ache, just kind of out of it. Woke up in the middle of the night with legit rigors, like the kind you read about. Fever 99.7. Today, just achy and weak. Think I’ll be able to work tomorrow?

Okay, 24 hrs from moderna #2. Arm much more sore than dose #1. About 8 hrs in, started to feel a little sickly, back-ache, just kind of out of it. Woke up in the middle of the night with legit rigors, like the kind you read about. Fever 99.7. Today, just achy and weak. Think I’ll be able to work tomorrow?
Yes. I was able to work the day after despite significant fever and chills during the night. Ibuprofen and Tylenol do wonders to keep you able to work. FYI, my symptoms occurred the following evening as well but they were more mild. I’d say it was 72 hours before I was 100 percent again.
That said, you should be able to work if you are motivated.

Yes. I was able to work the day after despite significant fever and chills during the night. Ibuprofen and Tylenol do wonders to keep you able to work. FYI, my symptoms occurred the following evening as well but they were more mild. I’d say it was 72 hours before I was 100 percent again.
That said, you should be able to work if you are motivated.
Well... I'm salaried without a productivity incentive, so...

• Haha