Will unfinished coursework hurt my PT application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepSouthPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college several years ago with a degree in accounting, but more recently decided I really wanted to do PT instead. I just started taking pre reqs for PT school last week.

My plan is to take A&P I&II this summer, Chem I, Physics I and Exercise Kins. this fall, and Chem II and Physics II this next spring. I really want to be starting a PT program either in May 2011 or Fall 2011. My undergrad GPA with my accounting degree was 3.75 and my GRE score was 750Q and 600V and I should have around 150 obs. hours in by August (I would guess my pre req GPA will be between 3.3 - 3.6).

However, my worry is that even though schools say you can apply without having finished all your pre reqs, this will ultimately hurt my application. Your input on what to expect would be really appreciated. Thanks!

For reference I'm interested in schools in GA, SC and TN (MUSC, USC-Columbia, MCG, N. GA, UT-Chattanooga, UT-Memphis and East Tenn.)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last fall to pt programs that start this coming fall semester. At the time, I was taking physics I, and still had to complete physics II, chem II, and A&P II for the spring, and got into 2/4 schools, and I don't think it was the unfinished classes that kept me out of the other 2, so I think your fine (I needed more hours, more along what you have). Your stats look really great, so you won't have a problem at all.

Thanks vapt, I appreciate the input. Do you think taking a class the summer before starting in the fall at a PT program is a bad idea? If I'm not accepted before the spring semester at my top few schools I might have to take classes into the summer for admission at the other schools on my list. I'm trying to be cheap and increase my chances of good grades by not loading my fall schedule up with 15+ hours.

I personally would probably only take courses "last minute" as a backup plan in case of the dreaded D or F (or one school that admitted me said B or better). I def. understand not wanting that heavy of coursework (12 hours with chem, phys, and A&P was pretty tough for me), but if you go for it, the schools will see that you can handle a heavy course load that pt school will entail, making you more competitive. Also, if you're not doing the CC route, you'd probably save money by taking more classes than less, as most universities charge the same for 18 credits or under. Then, if you don't get the grade you're after, use that summer semester as a last resort. In the end though, only you know yourself best, so only bite off what you think you can chew. Good luck!

Thanks vapt, I appreciate the input. Do you think taking a class the summer before starting in the fall at a PT program is a bad idea? If I'm not accepted before the spring semester at my top few schools I might have to take classes into the summer for admission at the other schools on my list. I'm trying to be cheap and increase my chances of good grades by not loading my fall schedule up with 15+ hours.