Will take questions about UCONN Internal Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

domo arigato

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

do you like it?

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry folks..busy holiday weekend! Lemme just paste my response to a PM, and say - yes, we're very good, and probably could use some time in the limelight.

IMO, we're a VERY SOLID mid-tier residency training program.

Training - clinical training definitely solid. Our residents are well-known in the area as very well trained internists since we see everything, and rotate through a megalith of a system. We are very independent/confident I would say, and think we're well-trained to be able to manage everything that an internist should, and most of all, know when to consult. I might say we could use more didactics, but I don't know how we'd accomodate it into our schedules (PGY2s and 3s have daily resident morning report, and then there's other conferences smattered here and there about twice/week on average)

Research Training - really depends on what you're looking to go into. Some specialties have a lot of research going on, some not very much if you're interested in that kind of stuff, and feel free to ask specifics, I can let you know. Also, some do a lot more basic, some might do more clinical. Nobody's going to present/assign you a project though and beg or order you to work with them. We're all self-starters for the most part, do our own thing, work with fellows or attendings. Most of us don't get involved in a lot of basic science research. I think it's the only thing that stops us from going from very good --> excellent as a training program.

Support - I think we were a very balanced program. We're never overworked I think, never violate duty hour restrictions (well of course, if your patient is crashing, you might stay an hour or two late to make sure they're transitioned well), and are extremely compliant with ACGME duty hour regulations. It's just the way our schedules are built. There's a very good back-up system, and the cap of 10 for intern and 14 per resident-intern team are very strictly adhered to, though you will hardly every be at cap consistently at Hartford Hospital or St Francis, though UCONN's team censuses are consistently higher than at the other two sites as they don't have a private hospitalist service.

The program admin is VERY receptive to feedback, and always tries to accommodate resident preferences. I would say we're a very flexible program. You can ask for your BFF/SO/spouse's schedules to be aligned with yours, and the program has always accommodated these requests very well.

Area - You can't beat the scenic beauty - it's all around. NYC and Boston are 1.5 hrs away, Vermont is 4. Beaches, parks, mountains, rivers - you name it! Plus we make good money (on par with Boston/NYC programs) though the housing is wayy more affordable when compared to those cities. Of course, downtown Hartford is pretty sketch, and the next town - West Hartford is exactly the opposite, but lots of us live in Hartford - lots of good options. (besides that's what makes us kings of treating ETOH/you-name-it abuse& withdrawal, infective endocarditis, and abscesses). Some happening places, but of course again, it's not the Big Apple.

If I had to change a few things - I would have wanted more research/scholarly activity training, and some of the teaching attendings could be better but that didn't stop our residents from going places - I think we've always placed residents well into fellowships. Our alumni fellowship match is on the website though it probably hasn't been updated for this year.