Medical Will rowing help me get into med school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a graduating high school senior who was accepted to a top 30 school and is planning to study biochemistry on the pre-med track. Though I was not technically recruited for rowing, I talked with the coach at the school and he "supported" my application and hopes that I continue to row with his team. However, practices are held at 6:00 AM or earlier every morning for 2.5 hours and there are even some afternoon practices scattered throughout the week. Would I be better off using all of this time to volunteer at hospitals, shadow doctors, research, etc..instead of rowing for my best shot at getting into medical school? Would medical schools see my dedication to rowing as an activity that stands out? Thanks so much for any advice!!
While Admissions Deans do have soft spots for athlete scholars, being a rower in and of itself won't get you into med school.

Having a good application will.

If you're good at time mgt, you can do thus, but you still will have to do all the ECs required of you

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. Do what you want to do while you're in undergrad. Don't do what you think med schools want you to do outside of the required and recommended activities to prepare for a career in health care (which means shadowing, community service, grades, and MCAT at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.