Will programs rank you without a step II CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm doing step II at the end of this week! I know its late! but this year has just been nuts and I wasn't able to do it earlier, really I wasn't! I did great on my step I (240/97) and have great stats (AOA, honors in third year etc...) BUT am really concerned that programs won't rank me highly if my scores dont' come in ASAP! does anyone have experience with this?!? please HELP! I'm really stressing out!!!!

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs indicate their individual preferences regarding Step 2 CK on their websites--you should look there. MOST programs are not yet requiring it for the rank list, but a few are.

Most programs indicate their individual preferences regarding Step 2 CK on their websites--you should look there. MOST programs are not yet requiring it for the rank list, but a few are.

Hey I just looked at several websites, I didn't see anything about US grads having to complete Step II prior to ranking. There is just zero info about it. Does anyone know any programs that require it in Internal Medicine?!?

thanks for the reply btw :)

I heard the same as above. I did similarly well on Step 1 and want to take CK late too. I am an MSIII and interested to learn what ophtho programs wont rank without this #??

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty sure ophtho programs don't care about whether or not you took step II CK by the time the rank lists come out. or at least I hope not. we'll find out on thursday. i took mine after christmas, and not a single interviewer or program brought it up. it is early match though. i have no clue about the regular match.

just out of curiosity, did you think to ask this during your interviews??

You should have taken Step II - CK prior to Jan. Poor form. Junior AOA and Step I only indicate MS1-2. Step II CK is more predictive of overal success per the literature. None the less, Step II CK is easier and I am sure you did great. Some will match, some will not.

DM

M4

You should have taken Step II - CK prior to Jan. Poor form. Junior AOA and Step I only indicate MS1-2. Step II CK is more predictive of overal success per the literature. None the less, Step II CK is easier and I am sure you did great. Some will match, some will not.

DM

M4

Poor form? poor form that I took it late because of a dire financial situation? I say poor form to your post.
:luck:

DM

M4

ocean's third year evaluations and deans letter will show programs how she did in 3rd year. lots of allopathic US seniors take step 2 late in the year, especially if they did really well on step 1. though it might be a problem for some programs, i think the majority just care that US seniors have a pass on ck and cs by the time you are supposed to start residency.

DM

M4

Not poor form on his part, but stupid form on yours.

(
I heard the same as above. I did similarly well on Step 1 and want to take CK late too. I am an MSIII and interested to learn what ophtho programs wont rank without this #??

not a single Ophtho program mentioned my lacking a Step 2 CK score at the time of interview. In fact, I had plenty of great interviews and the likes without Step 2 CK.

Additionally, it was rare that even my solid Step 1 was brought up in an interview...so really, if you did well for Step 1 in Ophtho it will help get you the interview(s). Step 2 CS or CK wont cause any good or bad outcomes for you unless you do very poorly on it relative to Step 1

but then again, this is just 1 person's experience

I really doubt you have any reason to worry, especially since the rest of your application is so strong. It is rare for people with your Step 1 score to fail Step 2, and program directors are definitely aware of this. Most of my classmates are just now taking their Step 2 CK's and CS's. It's quite common for people to put off Step 2 CK until past interview season because they are afraid of 'ruining' a strong Step 1 score. Although it would have helped if you asked programs if they have any strong feelings about it, I think with your situation, it would be rare indeed for a program to care that you haven't taken Step 2.