will my sept. 2017 mcat be mostly good for the 2020-2021 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illmaatic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know all the caveats about how every school is different, blah blah blah. i'm just wondering what is generally correct. i applied this cycle and it looks like i'll be a reapplicant. i don't want to apply again this cycle, but i will if i must.

i took the mcat Sept. 2017. Everywhere I read says most schools accept MCAT's as old as 3 years. Most searching says this is 3 years from MATRICULATION. however, looking at the MSAR for this year (i think it's this year, i bought last year's but now the schools on the msar are saying primary apps are due xx/xx/2019), most schools say the latest mcat they will accept is like Jan, June, etc. 2016, which is slightly older than a lot of matriculation dates, some like 3.5 years for the ones accepting them from January of the year 3 years earlier.

so my Sept. 2017 MCAT should be okay for the 2020-2021 cycle, correct? am i misreading this somehow?

thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

So 2 things...

1) this is going to be different for very school. I looked up 6 schools, all of them had different dates, and 2 of them would fit within your range if they stuck with the same month, but one year later, for the 20-21 cycle. Honestly, your best bet is to check with the schools that you plan to apply to individually. My school accepts MCAT scores from May 3 years prior to the matriculation year.

2) If you’re able to apply this cycle, what is holding you back? Unless you have a substantial hole in your application, I would go ahead and apply this cycle.