Will my extracurriculars pull my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flighttodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am currently a helicopter pilot in the US Army. I have done combat tours, I have been the distinguished honor graduate of all my courses (Number 1 in the class) to include flight school. My current officer record briefs, I am ranked number 1 within my rank for my battalion. I am also a helicopter instructor pilot for the Army. I have around 500 hours of volunteer/shadowing complete, and am currently volunteering with the Red Cross. I have around a 3.1 ugrad/3.7 science GPA and a 30 on the MCAT. My GPA was hurt when i was a freshman in college, did more partying than studying, I have around 10 W and 5 F's after withdrawing late in one semester. Since I have been in the military I have completed my degree while deployed either in a combat zone or during additional training while maintaining a 4.0. Ive spoken to most of the medical schools about finishing my degree on-line, I have been told that it was situation dependent and that I met that criteria. I have a BS degree in Aeronautics from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and will be applying to medical school once my contract in the military is complete. I'm mostly wondering if my extracurricular activities, work, awards, honors, etc, being a non-trad. will be able to carry my low GPA. I know it sucks, looking for some mature honest answers. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna need more info for a decent assessment of your chances.

-Have you taken the pre-req's yet and what were your grades in them?
-What was your score breakdown for the MCAT?
-Can you describe the shadowing/volunteering and how many hrs for each activity?
-Any research?
-Any upper division biology classes?
-What is your state of residence?
-Do you have a disadvantaged background/childhood?

As I'm sure you know, a 3.1 is pretty low even w/ the upward trend. Unfortunately, for most schools, your ECs won't be enough unless you get your GPA higher. However, it all depends on the some of the factors listed above. For MD, you would likely need to bring your GPA up to 3.3+ to be competitive. For DO, you have a good shot as long as you apply early and to a wide range of schools.

-former USAF flight medic

Uniformed Services University Bethesda, Maryland
You have a good shot there, I am sure. However, that GPA is killer man.