Medical Will mental health issues cause residency/Medical Licensure problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, medical school has been tough and I have had extreme anxiety and the feeling of being "trapped" with the crushing loans and constant studying. I worry continually about doing well with testing, preceptor evaluations (I am a 3rd year student), and assignments, in addition to trying to balance that with exercise and eating right which is an everyday struggle. I do very well with school and testing, and pass my exams with comfortable margins as well as get fantastic evals from preceptors. I know that I should not worry as much as I do because of the high marks, but I feel that the constant anxiety has decreased my overall mood significantly over the past year or two.
In short, I feel like I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I have been contemplating going to a Psychiatrist and trying to get prescribed an SSRI to help with this problem, but I fear the repercussions of doing so. Would this have an effect on my medical licensing or my residency application/ability to apply to whatever residency I desired?

I have seen other posts somewhat dealing with the state licensing boards giving you a hard time with you using the SSRI, but there was no clear cut answer to what happens if you answer a question regarding mental health on the form. The last post that I had found was from approx 2017. ( I try not to waste people's time answering things that have already been taken care of.)

Don't be so quick to self-diagnose yourself and think that you need an SSRI. See a psychiatrist, and go from there. No need to additionally worry about this if you don't have anything that warrants an SSRI, or that could be better treated via therapy, etc.

Keep in mind this is not a place for medical advice (I know your question isn't for medical advice, but still).

That said, I'm sorry, but I don't have a solid answer for you regarding your actual question. I'll be keeping an eye out here myself for you.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no specific question about this on the application for residency. But when you need to apply for a state license, there will be some sort of language on their application that touches on mental health issues. They may be vague ("Do you have any condition that would prohibit or impair your practicing medicine?") or very specific (from FL: "During the last five years, have you been treated for or had a recurrence of a diagnosed mental disorder that has impaired your ability to practice medicine?"). You may have to submit medical records, depending on your response. Many in your situation will call state medical boards where they are likely to apply for residency or go into medical practice to get a heads-up on expectations.

Anxiety is not a diagnosis that would result in refusing you a license to practice. If you are functioning well, you have nothing to disclose.

Don't be so quick to self-diagnose yourself and think that you need an SSRI. See a psychiatrist, and go from there.
Or see a licensed clinical social worker, or a clinical psychologist, or an advanced practice nurse who specializes in mental health issues (and can also prescribe medication). Any of these professionals can help you with a diagnosis and a discussion of various options for treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.