Medical Reapplying after problems with medical school administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Omitting some details for confidentiality.

I was a first semester student at a US osteopathic medical school. After being harassed and bullied by some of the administration and the dean which included threats for professionalism (for something I did not do), I was not able to finish the semester as admin threatened to dismiss me. After a lawyer got involved, I was found not guilty of the professionalism issue, admin became concerned of some of their actions, and the school issued me a letter of withdrawal in good standing (instead of dismissal) if I do not proceed with the legal action. After going through all of this, I could not imagine returning to that school and seeking advice on reapplying to DO/MD programs with a leave in good standing. What are my chances if I was previously accepted to multiple schools? How much is this going to harm me if I left in good standing? What should I do?

Thank you.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I would suspect with a letter in good standing it won't hurt you. I'm guessing there are nondisclosure issues we need to be sure to honor so I'm not sure that you can get a letter from faculty at the medical school (though it would help but don't count on it).

I would want to know about what is on your transcript from the medical school which you would have to submit somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need more information about how strong of an applicant you were in the first place. Having multiple acceptances sounds promising, but we need a little bit clearer pocture

According to someone who was in a similar situation to you, some MD schools do not consider matriculating into a DO school as a matriculating into a medical school, and as such, they would look at you as a blank slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.