Will medical schools view a BA (Bachelor of Art) degree less than a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itachi Uchiha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am conflicted. I have been thinking about this for weeks now and cannot get a good answer. I feel like BA (Bachelor of Art) will be more suited for me but I am worried that medical schools will think it is less challenging and not as important as BS (Bachelor of science). Has any of you dealt with this. Did any of you matriculate into medical school with a BA? Preferably top 20?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won’t matter whether you have a BA or BS. Pick a major that you enjoy and that will also be useful if for some reason medicine does not work out. If I could do it over I probably would have done finance and just taken the prerequisites instead of biochem.

Reactions: 4 users
My BA helped me stand out among the sea of biology and chemistry applicants. We all take the same MCATs at the end of the day.

Reactions: 2 users
Doesn't matter. Just do well in whatever you do.

I am conflicted. I have been thinking about this for weeks now and cannot get a good answer. I feel like BA (Bachelor of Art) will be more suited for me but I am worried that medical schools will think it is less challenging and not as important as BS (Bachelor of science). Has any of you dealt with this. Did any of you matriculate into medical school with a BA? Preferably top 20?

Thanks in advance.
I have a BA, not at a top 20 school but a good Florida school.

Reactions: 1 users
BA vs. BS means essentially nothing - my school exclusively offered BAs, even in the sciences

Reactions: 7 users

Thanks in advance.
No. The admissions process including prerequisites and the MCAT put everyone on the same page. If OP needs further clarification or more in depth perspectives, they should ask in pre-allo.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As others said no one cares. My kid will be getting BA in sciences at a T20 school and he has 3 T5 (PD ranks) acceptances.

• Haha
If you are deciding between a BS and a BA at a particular school and the BS requires original research and a thesis and the BA does not, and you don't get some research experience outside of your curriculum, then the choice of a BA rather than BS could put you at a disadvantage ,all else equal.

Reactions: 6 users

Thanks in advance.
No one will care. We don't care about majors or minors either. Just do well

Reactions: 1 user
If you are deciding between a BS and a BA at a particular school and the BS requires original research and a thesis and the BA does not, and you don't get some research experience outside of your curriculum, then the choice of a BA rather than BS could put you at a disadvantage ,all else equal.
I forgot that some schools offer both, and my school actually did that if I remember correctly. In this case, I think a BA would be a poor choice since research and thesis is an obvious boost for a medical school app, like you said.

Reactions: 1 user
At my S's school research and thesis are required to get honors.

My school has only BAs for all biology concentrations, econ, computer science, math and physics lol. I had a BA

Short answer:

1619231498421.png

This is an interesting post. I didn't know that some BS programs require original research while BAs don't. Thank you.

Considering that a school like Princeton doesn't even offer BS's and only BA's (or AB as they call it, not counting engineering) and it should be pretty evident that it doesn't matter..